Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for...

Default Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for...

Hi evryone.

First, thanks for all the great advise I have read on the forums. I have learned a lot.

I have fished Swans EI area all my life (in my 50's), My family never had a boat so I was a pier rat ( Old Emerald Isle Pier) and surf fishing. I have a boat now.

Seconds i am not asking for secret spots (unless you want to dm them to me LOL and I wont tell anyone (just in case Swansboro New River area)..)

If everyone doesnt mind ... I struggle with "What to look for when fishing a spot or finding spots . I see people "youtube, TV, fishing classes" catching fish or talking about catching what looks like, in random looking areas and I never know why they picked that particular spot. What should I look for when running the marsh, creeks, rivers, or inlets? Drop offs, points, oysters, current rips,........? What underwater features should I key in on? Why does someone fish one creek mouth and not another?

My fishing time is limited (working because unfortunately I have a bad habit of eating) and I just cant seem to process what I need to do in my limited brain pan.

Thanks again and I am sure this subject has been talked about but I just cant seem to understand in plain english sometimes.

If anyone is fishing today make sure you post pict...... It drives the rest of us nuts...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do research on google maps. Find some creeks between the intracoastal and the ocean. Look for dark spots on the map . Normally around bends has deeper water. If you drive up and down enough creeks you'll eventually find schools of reds and trout. Navionics web app isnt a bad spot to find holes in the bays as well. I found all my spots by exploring for the most part by this method and being curious on the water seeing what other people were up to.

Some spots in the area that's common knowledge is:

Onslow bridge
    Freeman creek
    Browns inlet
    Shackleford channel

I cant speak on swansboro or above as I lived in sneads ferry and never mozied past bear inlet.

Put in the work and you'll eventually have a plethora of spots to call your own

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks usmcbeker

Are you only looking at deep holes for your spots? Or is there anything else that catches your attention? When you head up a creek do you fish from the start working your way up? Or do you cruise until you see something that looks interesting?

I might be trying to over think it..... Ive known myself to do that before.

Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have you considered hiring a guide to show you the key points or what to look for while fishing?
    Capt Ray Brittian of Spring Tide Guide Service is great teacher...........ICM
    https://www.facebook.com/springtideguideservice/

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Have you considered hiring a guide to show you the key points or what to look for while fishing?
    Capt Ray Brittian of Spring Tide Guide Service is great teacher...........ICM
    https://www.facebook.com/springtideguideservice/

Yea I have considered it. Matter of fact Ray of one youtube eastern current this week talking about trout fishing. Pretty good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spJ6siuqFxc

The guy I normally fish with last couple of years is a live bait guy and he taught me couple of spots, slip corks, etc. Those spots were passed down to him from someone he knew.

Again maybe I am over thinking it (and its just real simple) looking for that magic phrase or secret that I seem to feel I am missing when learning fake bait and keying in on the bite.
    Or I might be knocking it out of the park considering how much time I have, how much time I am able to be on the water and just dont know it.

I currently do scan youtube and newsletters for tips and tricks. Matter of fact this morning on youtube the guide ou tof Wilm was saying underwater points and humps. I kinda know it but needed that reassuring.

Anyway good advice also and thanks for the reply. I always see you contributing loads of wisdom on this forum.

Thank you for the compliment.
    More than a few have shared their knowledge with me, just passing it forward.

Eastern Currents has had some really good podcast. Enjoy them & learn a few new tricks.
    We all have the tendency to over think it. I just finished watching several videos on "Corky" lures.
    Who is the guide out of Wilmington you referred to? ......ICM

I think it was an interview on eastern current w travis overman (lookng at my youtube history) Also there was a great mirrolure info from Lee parson on the Coastal Carolina fishing magazine (youtube again) He was in Eastern Outfitters giving a class.

Update.

After limit of Trout (1.5 to 3+ on betts shrimp natural and chartreuse 1/2 oz ) on one of the spots I know. I did go exploring in the marsh and found some nice 8ft holes that I think will be promising when it cools off a bit more. Shallow all around it .
    Side note
    I just rebuilt a 1680 Alum skiff (Put in 2 Live wells, console update, trolling, wiring paint etc.) this year so i can try more skinny water My other boat would not make that skinny.

Thanks again for all you help here and on other threads.

Our family has a place at EI so as long as the weather is fairly good the family wants to go to the beach. I grew up fishing the Pamlico River and tributaries and still fish there during the winter months but as long as the weather is nice I have had to learn to fish the Swansboro area. I was hard headed and would not hire a local guide. I firmly believe that was a mistake. It took valuable time to learn what I know now and I am still learning. At this point I am pretty confident that I can get on the fish most days when I am there but even after more than 5 years I feel that I could still benefit from a good guide.

Also, I would recommend learning the White Oak River. Great place to fish with less boat traffic. Be careful though, lots of oyster and sand bars.

Find the bait worked for us today. Topwaters made it easy for aggressive Trout, also.
    Caught close to 10, has twice as many blow ups, kept 5. Biggest was close to 3 #'s.....ICM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN5537 (2).jpg‎
Views:	408
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	195971
    skinnyfisher likes this.

Nice catch....... Top water?

I went out sat night to try the full moon and did get a nice one on topwater. Nothing else. Lots of bait. Mullet and glass minows. I didnt use a light but might try it next time. Just trying to learn it.

Yea I am seriously looking at a guide. maybe in Nov. Sometimes im a knot-head also.

Ive fished the WO a few times (This is the first time since Florence that I have fished seriously, Flo was a bear....)

Usually hit the normal areas Brick hole and the bridge. Never really had too much luck there. Lots of competition (boats) during the fall.

Fished live bait under slip cork. What time of year do you find it heating up? Do you beat the bank and grass or live bait?

I only imagine the water needs to cool down some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater Republic View Post
    Nice catch....... Top water?

I went out sat night to try the full moon and did get a nice one on topwater. Nothing else. Lots of bait. Mullet and glass minows. I didnt use a light but might try it next time. Just trying to learn it.
    Yes ALL topwater on Monday's bluebird day, after the rain Trout turned on for us.
    Fished from first light till around noon throwing topwaters.
    Had more blow ups than hook ups. Kept just a few.
    No video to busy catching. .........ICM

Awesome....

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater Republic View Post
    Yea I am seriously looking at a guide. maybe in Nov. Sometimes im a knot-head also.

Ive fished the WO a few times (This is the first time since Florence that I have fished seriously, Flo was a bear....)

Usually hit the normal areas Brick hole and the bridge. Never really had too much luck there. Lots of competition (boats) during the fall.

Fished live bait under slip cork. What time of year do you find it heating up? Do you beat the bank and grass or live bait?

I only imagine the water needs to cool down some more.

I fish the WO pretty much year round. Catch a lot of drum from mid summer to mid November. Work the banks from the bridge up to the sharp turn with the Oyster bars across the river.

Id say just as important as where to fish is what and how to fish. Make sure your using the right gear, baits, and presentation. I dont know how many times ive fished with other frirends who dont fish often and we have been on fish and i am catching and they are not. Even when we are using the same gear and baits. Many times its all down to rod angle, retrieve speed, and twitches/jerks. Its hard to go wrong with the look of an injured bait fish. Slow-moderate retrieve speed with twitches/jerks and pauses mixed in. Sometimes they like a vertical presentation (rod tip up), horizontal (rod tip down) or somewhere in the middle. You might be in the right spots and just fishing it wrong. Whatch videos on how to fish an 17mr and other baits.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast