NC Angler Forums banner

Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for...

8K views 52 replies 12 participants last post by  Mumbo_Pungo 
#1 ·
Hi evryone.

First, thanks for all the great advise I have read on the forums. I have learned a lot.

I have fished Swans EI area all my life (in my 50's), My family never had a boat so I was a pier rat ( Old Emerald Isle Pier) and surf fishing. I have a boat now.

Seconds i am not asking for secret spots (unless you want to dm them to me LOL and I wont tell anyone (just in case Swansboro New River area)..)

If everyone doesnt mind ... I struggle with "What to look for when fishing a spot or finding spots . I see people "youtube, TV, fishing classes" catching fish or talking about catching what looks like, in random looking areas and I never know why they picked that particular spot. What should I look for when running the marsh, creeks, rivers, or inlets? Drop offs, points, oysters, current rips,........? What underwater features should I key in on? Why does someone fish one creek mouth and not another?

My fishing time is limited (working because unfortunately I have a bad habit of eating) and I just cant seem to process what I need to do in my limited brain pan.

Thanks again and I am sure this subject has been talked about but I just cant seem to understand in plain english sometimes.

If anyone is fishing today make sure you post pict...... It drives the rest of us nuts...

See less See more
#2 ·
Do research on google maps. Find some creeks between the intracoastal and the ocean. Look for dark spots on the map . Normally around bends has deeper water. If you drive up and down enough creeks you'll eventually find schools of reds and trout. Navionics web app isnt a bad spot to find holes in the bays as well. I found all my spots by exploring for the most part by this method and being curious on the water seeing what other people were up to.

Some spots in the area that's common knowledge is:

Onslow bridge
Freeman creek
Browns inlet
Shackleford channel

I cant speak on swansboro or above as I lived in sneads ferry and never mozied past bear inlet.

Put in the work and you'll eventually have a plethora of spots to call your own

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks usmcbeker

Are you only looking at deep holes for your spots? Or is there anything else that catches your attention? When you head up a creek do you fish from the start working your way up? Or do you cruise until you see something that looks interesting?

I might be trying to over think it..... Ive known myself to do that before.

Thanks again.

#5 ·
Yea I have considered it. Matter of fact Ray of one youtube eastern current this week talking about trout fishing. Pretty good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spJ6siuqFxc

The guy I normally fish with last couple of years is a live bait guy and he taught me couple of spots, slip corks, etc. Those spots were passed down to him from someone he knew.

Again maybe I am over thinking it (and its just real simple) looking for that magic phrase or secret that I seem to feel I am missing when learning fake bait and keying in on the bite.
Or I might be knocking it out of the park considering how much time I have, how much time I am able to be on the water and just dont know it.

I currently do scan youtube and newsletters for tips and tricks. Matter of fact this morning on youtube the guide ou tof Wilm was saying underwater points and humps. I kinda know it but needed that reassuring.

Anyway good advice also and thanks for the reply. I always see you contributing loads of wisdom on this forum.

#6 ·
Thank you for the compliment.
More than a few have shared their knowledge with me, just passing it forward.

Eastern Currents has had some really good podcast. Enjoy them & learn a few new tricks.
We all have the tendency to over think it. I just finished watching several videos on "Corky" lures.
Who is the guide out of Wilmington you referred to? ......ICM

#7 ·
I think it was an interview on eastern current w travis overman (lookng at my youtube history) Also there was a great mirrolure info from Lee parson on the Coastal Carolina fishing magazine (youtube again) He was in Eastern Outfitters giving a class.

Update.

After limit of Trout (1.5 to 3+ on betts shrimp natural and chartreuse 1/2 oz ) on one of the spots I know. I did go exploring in the marsh and found some nice 8ft holes that I think will be promising when it cools off a bit more. Shallow all around it .
Side note
I just rebuilt a 1680 Alum skiff (Put in 2 Live wells, console update, trolling, wiring paint etc.) this year so i can try more skinny water My other boat would not make that skinny.

Thanks again for all you help here and on other threads.

#8 ·
Our family has a place at EI so as long as the weather is fairly good the family wants to go to the beach. I grew up fishing the Pamlico River and tributaries and still fish there during the winter months but as long as the weather is nice I have had to learn to fish the Swansboro area. I was hard headed and would not hire a local guide. I firmly believe that was a mistake. It took valuable time to learn what I know now and I am still learning. At this point I am pretty confident that I can get on the fish most days when I am there but even after more than 5 years I feel that I could still benefit from a good guide.

Also, I would recommend learning the White Oak River. Great place to fish with less boat traffic. Be careful though, lots of oyster and sand bars.

#12 ·
Nice catch....... Top water?

I went out sat night to try the full moon and did get a nice one on topwater. Nothing else. Lots of bait. Mullet and glass minows. I didnt use a light but might try it next time. Just trying to learn it.
Yes ALL topwater on Monday's bluebird day, after the rain Trout turned on for us.
Fished from first light till around noon throwing topwaters.
Had more blow ups than hook ups. Kept just a few.
No video to busy catching. .........ICM

#11 ·
Yea I am seriously looking at a guide. maybe in Nov. Sometimes im a knot-head also.

Ive fished the WO a few times (This is the first time since Florence that I have fished seriously, Flo was a bear....)

Usually hit the normal areas Brick hole and the bridge. Never really had too much luck there. Lots of competition (boats) during the fall.

Fished live bait under slip cork. What time of year do you find it heating up? Do you beat the bank and grass or live bait?

I only imagine the water needs to cool down some more.

#15 ·
Id say just as important as where to fish is what and how to fish. Make sure your using the right gear, baits, and presentation. I dont know how many times ive fished with other frirends who dont fish often and we have been on fish and i am catching and they are not. Even when we are using the same gear and baits. Many times its all down to rod angle, retrieve speed, and twitches/jerks. Its hard to go wrong with the look of an injured bait fish. Slow-moderate retrieve speed with twitches/jerks and pauses mixed in. Sometimes they like a vertical presentation (rod tip up), horizontal (rod tip down) or somewhere in the middle. You might be in the right spots and just fishing it wrong. Whatch videos on how to fish an 17mr and other baits.

#17 ·
Keep moving. Trout typically school by size. If you catch 2-3 small trout in a row chances are thats all that's around. They also tend to be more aggressive and will get to the bait first. I'd move until I found bigger fish. If that wasn't working or you don't have the option of moving I'd try a big bait the little ones would be less likely to go after.

Have caught small trout in one creek and keepers in another many times.

#20 ·
Yea thats happened to me many times. I have become a good student of observing others techniques and trying to mimic them. Ive been learning (This is the first year I have really concentrated on fake bait.) Billy bay shrimp. Finding the 1/2 oz works best for the 7-9 ft holes (with slight current) Letting it drift w/ current and bounce off bottom. Never used mirrolure before but planon trying this year. I have been watching and ready all I can on them and uses. Saw Lee Parsons talks on the (Youtube)

Side note I did try night fishing under full moon and caught my 1st top water trout (or fish for that matter) 1 and only 1 that night. But learned.

Watched eastern currents last night and guide sheepishly mentioned he liked the ned rig. Might pick up someand try.

Thanks again

#27 ·
I really never fish a popping cork. Ive never seen them out fish anything else and they are a lot of work and will wear you down. I will say it is a good rig for people who are starting out because its pretty easy to just jerk the rod and repeat. Not a lot of finesse required. You could use it until you gain more confidence in other baits.

#28 ·
I use a popping cork and keep one tied on and ready for certain situations. It works great over stump fields, areas full of oysters and while you are taking a break to eat a sandwich. It is not my go to setup/lure but more times than I could count it caught more fish than other methods I used that day. Caught two trout last Saturday back to back slightly over 21" on the popping cork while I sat to eat. I only use artificial shrimp with it.

#30 ·
This whole post is the story of my life. Went out last weekend around EI and tried several different spots that I know are supposed to have a hot trout bite. Didn’t seem to be anyone catching any. Tide was coming in so maybe that was it. Tried corks, MR17 and plastics. Nada. Headed back this week and plan on fishing those same spots and several more but on a falling tide to see if that helps. I get confused because I see guides posting daily that they can’t keep the fish out of the boat and it seems to be on a rising tide. But then I tell myself they do it everyday for a living. I’m just a hack! Hopefully I’ll figure it out this trip but until then I am like the OP. Reading everything I can. Researching. I’ve caught trout on corks, MR17s and plastics in the last so I don’t know that it’s my technique.

#31 ·
I feel the same way. Seeing pictures of a hot trout bite from guides, getting amped to go and then.... a slow day. I know I have a lot of learning left to do but am glad I stumbled across this forum for all the great tips and advise. Makes me feel like I am at least in the right ball park on what I am doing to catch good numbers of fish. Fished behind Bald Head two weekends ago and plan to go this weekend to try out a lot of these lures and tips! Hopefully we are both more successful and have better stuff to report back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.