Two days fishing from my dock

Thread: Two days fishing from my dock

Default Two days fishing from my dock

I never get to fish enough and this week I took off work Thursday and Friday to fish from my dock/pier on the Core Sound in Marshallberg. My wife joined me and I was fortunate enough to hook a keeper trout on my 1st cast Thursday afternoon. Conditions weren't ideal, with the wind blowing and an exceptionally high tide near its peak but Gulp and jigs provided us a dozen or more trout before slack tide. My wife caught a 20 incher (the largest of the day) and after a couple of hours we called it quits around 5pm to go into town for a nice dinner.
    So Friday morning I got up at 5am and headed for the dock. Again tide was rising, but wind and current conditions were great. I threw out a casting net and caught plenty of shrimp and mullet. I was psyched that this was going to be a great day. It was dark but I threw my favorite top water lure, then jigs, then poppin cork, then live bait, all with no luck. As the sun rose I saw something strange. About 50 yards off my pier was a bouey. I thought it was a diver float. However I had never seen anything like that off my pier. I continued to fish with limited success which was puzzling. About 9am I saw a boat with two men pull up to that float. It was a net. Using a wench, over 40 minutes they pulled in what appeared to be a 300 foot net that was virtually wrapped around my dock (and 4 other homes) cutting off all activity from an incoming tide. I appreciate commercial fishermen but Downeast we have miles and miles of non residential waterfront with Cape Lookout, Brown Island, Bell Island, etc. Continuing to fish with everything in my tackle box, I caught one trout. What should have been a stellar day became a poor day. Having to leave by noon, I threw back my live bait and put my gear away. I have never seen anything like it. I certainly understand why sport fishermen and commercial fishermen have issues. I don't have claim to the water in front of my dock. But there are miles and miles of more appropriate options. Its ashame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20191010_162358_1570882983077.jpg‎
Views:	94
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	195951 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20191011_164310_679_1570883003424.jpg‎
Views:	85
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	195953
    ice cream man, and satguy like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great report. If you fish long enough at the NC coast you will have a netter story. I have had a few just like you reported.
    I feel your pain.

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements