Why do you fish for a certain fish more then others?

Thread: Why do you fish for a certain fish more then others?

Default Why do you fish for a certain fish more then others?

I’m curious why do you fish for a certain fish more then others? We all have a certain species we target more then the rest even if we love to catch them all. What is it for you and why?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Bass for me, but will sometimes fish for crappie and catfish. Lots of salt water species like red drum, sea trout and flounder.

I just like to fish.
    Fishscalz likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The lures I use - most that are home crafted - catch all species so I don't have a choice unless the lure is too large for some - IE a 10" plastic worm or deep dive crankbait. I'd rather catch more fish more often than a few of a certain species such as walleye, large bass lake trout. Catching over 40 fish per day is satisfying as well as catching very large rough fish such as a 7 lb catfish, 14lb carp or a 4 lb sucker - some on the same day as many others.

The challenge for me is catching larger fish on light tackle such as 14" crappie or a 2.5 lb LM on a light action rod and 6# test line. That light tick going up the line regardless the fish is the beginning of the mystery and the reason I fish. Until the hook is set, the rest is just getting it right and seeing what hit.
    jerry condrey likes this.

Bass fishing is my passion. There are so many places and different ways to catch them. I like figuring out the patterns and running them sucessfully. Tournament fishing is also fun and helps offset some expenses on the good days.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

For sure, big speckled trout and upper slot red drum, in equal portions. Beautiful, hard fighting fish that are delicious on the plate.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

I like flyrodding for Bream. I tie my own flies and poppers and there is a real satisfaction when you can catch something on a fly you tied yourself. That being said, I like catching ANYTHING!
    senkosam likes this.

Mountain stream fly fishing for wild trout is my favorite but I live in Mooresville so I mainly kayak fish Norman for bass because of the 15 minute drive vs 2-3 hours to the mountains. I also cat fish some but not as often as bass.

I usually fish for bass they’re abundant and widespread take a variety of lures, gods size and fight, and are clean easy to handle fish. With that said I like to catch bowfin! The average bowfin I catch is about 20” long compared to my 12” dink largemouth. The bowfin is a mean spirited fighter hits anything a bass or catfish would. The bowfin also seems more eager on days when bass aren’t active, after a front, or hot. Basically my new motto is I want to catch 2 foot long fish, species is irelevent.

Aren't bowfin a prehistoric fish? I caught one once in a swamp years ago but never since. Few waters have them in my state. Hopefully snakehead which look similar aren't in your waters. Snakehead are a big problem for all fish species.

I like to catch about any fish. But do really enjoy targeting fish that are not as abundant and harder to catch like Walleye. In saltwater I love to chase tailing Reds or Trout. Nothing like hooking a bull Red in shallow water on light tackle. In freshwater, I like to target fish I enjoy eating. Walleye, Crappie, Perch, Stripers and Trout. I often catch a lot of Small and Large mouth Bass, but not targeting them.

In the saltwater I fish for what's here. It's really that simple.
    Some species are just passing by, others come close to spawn, while others desire cold water temps.
    Then it's back to fish for what's here......... ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements