Fontana

Thread: Fontana

Default Fontana

Heading up to Fontana for a few days this week.....just curious if anyone has been up recently and water temp? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did you have any luck ?

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Did you have any luck ?
    Heading up there in the morning to fish 3 days
    LIVIT likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cool, I have bud whose dad has a houseboat at Fontana, upper end. Been wanting to go there and spend a few days. Never have fished Fontana, always seems we end up going East of Asheville. Let me know how you do bud.

I'll be heading to Fontana on 11/9. I'd like to catch some trout there. Thinking about fishing in / around the Hazel Creek area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

There should be some lake run brown trout up into Hazel Creek and other Fontana tributaries this time of year.

Fish up to 15 lbs have been taken in Fontana and connecting streams and rivers.

Just remember if fishing Hazel Creek, only single hook lures can be used.

In the lake itself use any legal bait or lure.

Blueback herring are starting to take over Fontana and become the dominant forage fish. Lots of baits out there on the market now that mimic bluebacks and alewives.
    Pond Pounder likes this.

@gambusia , where are the regs stating that only single hook lures can be used for Hazel creek?

I was planning on trolling some Rapala Husky minnows for the trout. I also have several sizes of spoons / wedding rings, too. Hoping to hook-up with a big brown or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Pond Pounder View Post
    @gambusia , where are the regs stating that only single hook lures can be used for Hazel creek?

I was planning on trolling some Rapala Husky minnows for the trout. I also have several sizes of spoons / wedding rings, too. Hoping to hook-up with a big brown or two.
    Where it would become single hook is after the creek passed the edge of the shore line. You won’t be trolling up that far into the creek.

It’s single hook artificial only in the whole park, technically the park extends to the center of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gambusia likes this.

Got it... changed out all my trebles for singles (one on each lure) and hitting the water tomorrow. Will post an update on Sunday, hopefully with a few good pics.
    gambusia likes this.

Only in the creek itself inside the national park are single hook lures required.

If you fish in the lake you can use bait and treble hooks, NC laws apply.

Wasn't sure if you were just going to fish the lake or the lake and stream both.

Default Fontana

Fished on 11/9. Started out trolling some Rapala Husky Jerks while we launched from Cable Cove to head a across to Hazel Creek. Caught two fish within about 10-15 minutes (both smallies, with the biggest being 1.5 lbs). Then nothing for several hours. We had a hard time locating many fish. Finally, after seeing a number of boats pass us, we headed to the back of the creek and found the fish stacked up. A lot. Problem was, we couldn’t get them to bite anything. We eventually caught a small spotted bass trolling a wedding ring (trout lure), but that was it for the day. Fished from about 8-3 without a great deal to show for it, catch wise. It was a beautiful day and we found the lake to be exceptionally clean and peaceful. Would like to go back sometime with a guide to catch more fish!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2912.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	196195

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gambusia, and LIVIT like this.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements