Southern NC Trout

Thread: Southern NC Trout

Default Southern NC Trout

Hey everyone! I was wondering what everyone's thoughts and opinions were about the fishing on the southern portion of NC's coast, from Southport down to Little River inlet. Specifically, what are your experiences catching trout and drum in these areas this time of year? Is the Southport area better known for fall trout fishing vs areas further south such as Little river inlet? I have fished a lot in the Little River area in the summer for a variety of fish, but have never had the chance to fish the fall trout bite until this year and am wondering how the fall bite changes as you move up the coast. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fish don't have a mailing address or zip codes.
    They catch all the same species of fish in SC as we do in NC.
    Not sure it matters this year.
    Everywhere on our coast the Trout bite has been the best in recent years......ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

I know that is the truth!! One day they are there and the next day gone. I was just curious on what the preferences of people who fish that lower portion of NC were.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My bud who lives near Myrtle beach SC. Has been sending me pics of all the Trout and Reds they been catching the past couple of weeks around the inlets and feeder creeks. Some really nice Flounder too. Told me the Trout have been exploding on Mirror lures and live bait.

Thanks for the info! I plan on fishing this weekend for two days. The plan is to fish Little river then switch to Southport, unless the bite is HOT at the first place we go. If that's the case I won't leave fish to go find fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Hook View Post
    Thanks for the info! I plan on fishing this weekend for two days. The plan is to fish Little river then switch to Southport, unless the bite is HOT at the first place we go. If that's the case I won't leave fish to go find fish.
    Great ! hope y'all wear em out. Wish I was down there right now myself. In process of moving to SC. Trying to find a house I like, lucky for me, I can keep my boat at buds house. I was chatting with my bud in SC last night. Mentioned that I had posted on this forum about what he had been catching. He said, that they have been catching some really nice Reds, Trout and large Flounder on live bait, but very often the big rays are jumping on the live presentations before the game fish get to it. Also said that plastics like the Voodoo and Gulp Shrimp have been good too.
    How we normally setup. Run 2 rods with live bait, while working lures. I hear ya, we dont leave fish to find fish ever.
    Cpt. Hook likes this.

Thanks for checking with your buddy, I appreciate the tips! We will give it a try and see if we cant manage to catch a few.

From what ive seen it would appear that trout in the SE part of the state get a little bigger. I think this is due to having less hard freezes than other parts of the state during winter. So while the fishing wont always be better i think you'll see the average size be a little higher.
    Cpt. Hook likes this.

So we are back from our fishing trip this past weekend. Thanks for all the advise on the forums. We do not fish the area often nor are we experienced enough for this report to be used for how the fishing is in the area. I would rely on people who have fished for trout more times and more often than me. However, here is a little bit on how we did:

Saturday:

We managed through the day. We fished behind Bald Head Island and had a ok start to the morning. We caught 2 keeper trout and a few undersized. We never really got into a big school but learned a lot. Got a couple of bonus fish that included a small drum and a nice 21 inch flounder (both released). We started on a high tide and by the time the tide had gotten low we were not catching any more fish. We decided to turn our focus and caught a decent amount of black drum but only 3 keepers. After the tide started to come back in we tried to find more trout but didn't have any luck. End of day had 2 keeper trout and 3 keeper drum in the boat.

Sunday:

We left the boat ramp at OI hoping the rain had passed us by. Half way across the mouth of the cape it started to pour. We sat there waited for the rain to pass (10 min) and were on our way again. The clouds parted but the wind stayed high. We fished all morning without putting a trout in the boat. Left the trout and tried to go catch drum like the day before. Caught one black drum (15") and one red drum (26"). Only fish of the day. The wind made it a little difficult. The wind was blowing the opposite way the tide was pulling. Either way we had a great weekend on the water.

Overall we had a great time on the water but still have a lot to learn. If you have any more advise I would be glad to hear. We were fishing with soft plastics all day (Trout tricks of different colors). If you have any questions for how we fished so you can give better advise just ask. We fished creek mouths all day. Also tried to fish little pockets or bays where the grass line made a cut into the bank. We fished a falling tide the most. I know the trout bite is hot and our fishing wasn't, so I have plenty to learn and am eager to fish again. Planning on going back in two weeks to try again and see what happens.Thanks again for everyone's opinions and advise.

Try topwaters ? What size & type of jighead ?
    Sometimes you have to hide from the wind to make it a good day on the water.......ICM
    Cpt. Hook likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Yea Sunday morning was tough. Windy and got rained on. Incoming tide.
    Cpt. Hook likes this.

So we did try top waters early in the morning and on Sunday when it was cloudy. We used just a walking top water not a popping top water. We were using 1/4 to a 3/8 oz trout eye jig head made by zman. We had trout tricks with colors fried chicken, electric chicken a light purple/clear silver specs, and a another lighter colored soft plastic and a white jerk shad.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements