Kokanee salmon, Alabama bass and Kentucky bass to see regulation changes - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72

Thread: Kokanee salmon, Alabama bass and Kentucky bass to see regulation changes

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Elkin
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    Alabama and Kentucky bass compete with largemouth bass and do not get as big even though largemouth coexist with them.

    Although Alabama bass from California have been caught approaching 12 lbs.

    A big Kentucky is 2-3 lbs.

    Compete is an understatement. I floated the Cape Fear from Buckhorn Dam to Lillington, and fished hard for two days. I caught many spots, but only saw one largemouth on the entire trip. This is very depressing. The largemouth I saw was in the 5+ pound range. The largest spot noted was around 18"
    Fishscalz, gambusia, and jerry condrey like this.


  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    In some lakes, largemouth can hold their own for a while in coves and what not. Spotted bass do not approach big largemouth sizes, and even the larger Alabama bass doesn't either. No way I would trade a nine pound largemouth for a five pound Bama. No way..
    Now to the point those invaders helped Norman, that may be true, as they school and gobble up the baitfish and are easier to catch.
    The largemouth is our native fish, and deserves protection from invaders. And it does not matter how they got in our waters, the "snakes" are here to stay. And for those that praise them for a good fight, what say we bring in snakeheads? I hear they fight good too!
    Fishscalz, and gambusia like this.


  4. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Kentucky bass are native to the Hiwassee River drainage.

    Alabama bass are not native anywhere to NC.
    jerry condrey likes this.


  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    From what I just read, they were introduced in Hiwassee. Either way though.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kernersville
    Posts
    653

    Default

    My concern is how many average fishing folks can tell the difference between a Largemouth and a Spotted Bass?
    With potentially no limit on Spotted Bass, how many Largemouth will be misidentified and kept as Spotted Bass?
    This could allow a lot of abuse with the wrong species being harvested.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Elkin
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    My concern is how many average fishing folks can tell the difference between a Largemouth and a Spotted Bass?
    With potentially no limit on Spotted Bass, how many Largemouth will be misidentified and kept as Spotted Bass?
    This could allow a lot of abuse with the wrong species being harvested.
    I don't think the reg changes will deliver meaningful results. Anyone who thinks it will need not be in the fisheries management business.

    Spotted bass have an unfair advantage in the Foothill rivers due to the spawning season...they spawn later when the flows are better suited for such activity. In the last 5 years, floods have ravaged the streams when the smallie eggs are hatching, or when the fry is vulnerable in my part of the world.

    The ship has sailed for many most rivers, and things will never be the same.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    My concern is how many average fishing folks can tell the difference between a Largemouth and a Spotted Bass?
    With potentially no limit on Spotted Bass, how many Largemouth will be misidentified and kept as Spotted Bass?
    This could allow a lot of abuse with the wrong species being harvested.
    Usually, the spots and Bamas are brighter in color, and the jaw does not extend past the eye. They have a patch of teeth (bristles) on the tongue largies lack. They are usually brassy in color, and the markings are more defined than largemouth.
    Fishscalz likes this.


  10. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kernersville
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Thanks for the Identification tips, but many just won't take the time to learn.

    I see it many times a year in Belews and Kerr Scott when Bass are misidentified.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    110

    Default

    [QUOTE=biglenr;1219633]
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    . People moan about how they mess up smallmouth but the fact if it is, NC is not a smallmouth state and never has been. People didn't travel from all over to NC to catch smallmouth. /QUOTE]

    Perhaps you should re-think....

    I have a group of friends on this site who turned me on to NC smallmouth fishing. They are now my favorite species to catch. We regularly drive 2+ hours to float the New, the Dan, the Yadkin, and other rivers for the thrill of catching smallies.

    I keep setting a goal to catch smallies in 5 different rivers each year, but I usually only get 4.

    Nobody travels long ways to catch spots. They are too common, and too easy to catch.
    I don't have to rethink.......smallmouth are my most favorite fish to catch. I go all over the place chasing smallies........but the facts are that NC is not a smallmouth state......our fisheries are much more suited for spots to grow in multitude and size. These are just facts. Even when chatuge was a decent smallmouth lake nobody traveled from across the country to fish it. Now it is full of big spots that are more eager to eat and act a lot like smallies, there are just more of them. Same thing for Fontana and pretty soon it will probably be the case for lake James. And largemouth do just fine with spots, there are so many fisheries that confirm that.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Elkin
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    Whether they're Alabama bass or spots or whatever you wanna call them.......they are the best thing that ever happened to several of our lakes. I could not imagine Norman or belews without them because they were both dead seas before the spots. Can't speak for the cape fear. I love catching smallies more than any other fish, but the spots act a whole lot like them and are far more numerous and they get BIG, regardless of people's ideas. I hope they don't mess up the smallies on the Dan, although I don't fish the Dan. People moan about how they mess up smallmouth but the fact if it is, NC is not a smallmouth state and never has been. People didn't travel from all over to NC to catch smallmouth. And the largemouth coexist just fine with spots. All you have to do is look at Norman, Hartwell, belews and all those coosa river lakes in Alabama to see that. The spots are here and here to stay regardless of regulations and no one is happier than me. The spots that are in Norman and belews originally came from keowee by fisherman.
    What is stocked in Lake Norman, Belews, or wherever doesn't stay there. There are things called watersheds which consist of creeks and rivers that many of us fish, and these lakes are a part of the watershed. Fanboys of spots who illegally stock these fish, and various state agencies experimenting with these fish are unwittingly destroying river largemouth populations. I suspect you have never fished a river for largemouth which is fine, but many do, and I am disgusted by your simplistic defense of what has transpired. The world does not revolve around the opinions of you or your lake fishing ilk.
    jerry condrey likes this.


  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    On your largemouth do just fine with spots, or Bamas post, see my post number 11 on this thread.

  14. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpossumtail View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    Whether they're Alabama bass or spots or whatever you wanna call them.......they are the best thing that ever happened to several of our lakes. I could not imagine Norman or belews without them because they were both dead seas before the spots. Can't speak for the cape fear. I love catching smallies more than any other fish, but the spots act a whole lot like them and are far more numerous and they get BIG, regardless of people's ideas. I hope they don't mess up the smallies on the Dan, although I don't fish the Dan. People moan about how they mess up smallmouth but the fact if it is, NC is not a smallmouth state and never has been. People didn't travel from all over to NC to catch smallmouth. And the largemouth coexist just fine with spots. All you have to do is look at Norman, Hartwell, belews and all those coosa river lakes in Alabama to see that. The spots are here and here to stay regardless of regulations and no one is happier than me. The spots that are in Norman and belews originally came from keowee by fisherman.
    What is stocked in Lake Norman, Belews, or wherever doesn't stay there. There are things called watersheds which consist of creeks and rivers that many of us fish, and these lakes are a part of the watershed. Fanboys of spots who illegally stock these fish, and various state agencies experimenting with these fish are unwittingly destroying river largemouth populations. I suspect you have never fished a river for largemouth which is fine, but many do, and I am disgusted by your simplistic defense of what has transpired. The world does not revolve around the opinions of you or your lake fishing ilk.
    I have fished for largemouth in every type of environment that they live in from brackish water to the high elevation lakes and everywhere in between. Don't really care who likes my opinions.......I listed what are facts. Norman, belews, Fontana, chatuge, Gaston etc are all better lakes since the spots arrived. Norman and belews were pathetic excuses for bass fisheries prior to spot introduction......I fished all of the above before and after and can attest to it. I know that largemouth and spots coexist just fine in lakes from personal experience, people have a misconception of this. I go to Hartwell 4-5 times a year and go to Norman all the time as well as belews and hickory and I can tell you there is nothing wrong with the largemouth population since the spots. In belews and Norman the lm population is so much better than ever was 25 years ago. If you like spending a day on a dead body of water catching nothing you probably lived Norman and belews back in the day.

  15. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Catches of largemouth have declined in most of those lakes. Last time we fished Belews we caught 23 bass. 20 were Bamas. Three years ago we had a day were we got 16 bass and 7 were largemouth. The state's own biologists say they have a detrimental effect.
    Did you read post 11?

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    5,948

    Default

    [QUOTE=kb_rn;1219915]
    Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post

    I don't have to rethink.......smallmouth are my most favorite fish to catch. I go all over the place chasing smallies........but the facts are that NC is not a smallmouth state......our fisheries are much more suited for spots to grow in multitude and size. These are just facts.
    Nobody travels to anywhere to catch spots.

    You accept them if they are in your local lake. But you don't drive 2-3 yours for the excitement of catching some spots.

    The only destination fisheries in NC are saltwater or the monster catfish in some lakes. Our bass (whether LMB, SMB, or spots) are pedestrian by national standards.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

  17. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    110

    Default

    [QUOTE=kb_rn;1219941]
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    Catches of largemouth have declined in most of those lakes. Last time we fished Belews we caught 23 bass. 20 were Bamas. Three years ago we had a day were we got 16 bass and 7 were largemouth. The state's own biologists say they have a detrimental effect.
    Did you read post 11?
    Maybe you just don't know what you're doing? I've fished belews 10 times in the last 6 weeks and have had no problem at all catching high numbers quality largemouth. Before the spots it had little green rats in it(just like Norman) and very few of them due to the pollution back in the 70s -80s. If you don't like catching 60-75 2 pound spots in a day with several 3+ pounders(if you know what you're doing)then you have a serious mental problem IMHO.

  18. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts