Kokanee salmon, Alabama bass and Kentucky bass to see regulation changes
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kokanee salmon, Alabama bass and Kentucky bass to see regulation changes

Default Kokanee salmon, Alabama bass and Kentucky bass to see regulation changes

The NCWRC will propose this winter to:

Reduce the kokanee salmon limit from 7 to 4 per person per day

Declare Alabama bass a recognized game fish species

Remove size and bag limits from Alabama and Kentucky bass in NC

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How can they remove restrictions on the Alabamas and still call them a game species? And where are the spotted bass? I know the ones at Belews and Norman are Bamas.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    How can they remove restrictions on the Alabamas and still call them a game species? And where are the spotted bass? I know the ones at Belews and Norman are Bamas.
    Kentucky Spots are everywhere, and are horrible.

Ararat
    Yadkin
    Dutchmans Creek
    Hunting Creek
    Upper Little River
    Cape Fear
    Little River
    South Yadkin River
    Fisher River
    Roaring River
    Buckhorn Creek

Rumor has they've jumped to the Neuse basin also. 50 years from now, I reckon largemouth will be a threatened river species in NC.
    gambusia likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cape Fear and Yadkin Rivers were stocked with spotted bass back in the 1970s by the NCWRC

I did some research, and found that nearly all of the fish tested from the Yadkin, Norman, Belews, Fisher were Alabama bass.
    The NCWRC admitted stocking spotted bass (Kentuckys) down east. I agree with you, they don't belong here..
    gambusia likes this.

They took spotted bass from Hiwassee and Appalachia Lakes in the mountains and stocked them as a game fish to "improve" fishing.

I believe tournament anglers introduced the Alabama bass into NC.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    I did some research, and found that nearly all of the fish tested from the Yadkin, Norman, Belews, Fisher were Alabama bass.
    The NCWRC admitted stocking spotted bass (Kentuckys) down east. I agree with you, they don't belong here..
    Norman yes, but the NCWRC has never stocked Alabama bass. The Yadkin was stocked by the NCWRC. I know unauthorized stockings occur all the time, but I would like to review your sources regarding the Yadkin.

If Alabama bass are in Belews, they will be in Kerr Lake in 20 years, and will saturate the Dan river in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpossumtail View Post
    Norman yes, but the NCWRC has never stocked Alabama bass. The Yadkin was stocked by the NCWRC. I know unauthorized stockings occur all the time, but I would like to review your sources regarding the Yadkin.
    I will find that info and forward it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpossumtail View Post
    If Alabama bass are in Belews, they will be in Kerr Lake in 20 years, and will saturate the Dan river in 10 years.
    That would be devastating to the Dan River's smallies..

Here is one piece. It claims the NCWRC stocked spots down east, and anglers bucket stocked both species in the Catawba and Yadkin rivers. I will find the other stuff today. I have caught the Belews bass, and are confident they are https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...Reservoirs.pdf as well.
    here is one dealing with Norman..

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...Black-Bass.pdf

And another.
    http://www.seafwa.org/Changes%20in%2...2016-03-01.pdf

Several years ago, Duke Power, Progress Energy, and the NCWRC published a comprehensive Pee Dee river assessment. The entire history of NCWRC stockings are listed in this publication. What has been stocked since the 1950s is pretty amazing. I'm 99% certain spotted bass stockings are documented in this publication, and in the pages of old NC wildlife mags. The NCWRC may have simply stocked the spots in Kerr Scott, but that is all it takes....same goes for Belews. When one stocks a lake, they might as well be stocking the whole watershed.

Sidenote: There has been some denial that the NCWRC stocked flatheads in the Yadkin. Aforementioned publication clearly states the NCWRC DID stock flatheads in the Y.

Whether they're Alabama bass or spots or whatever you wanna call them.......they are the best thing that ever happened to several of our lakes. I could not imagine Norman or belews without them because they were both dead seas before the spots. Can't speak for the cape fear. I love catching smallies more than any other fish, but the spots act a whole lot like them and are far more numerous and they get BIG, regardless of people's ideas. I hope they don't mess up the smallies on the Dan, although I don't fish the Dan. People moan about how they mess up smallmouth but the fact if it is, NC is not a smallmouth state and never has been. People didn't travel from all over to NC to catch smallmouth. And the largemouth coexist just fine with spots. All you have to do is look at Norman, Hartwell, belews and all those coosa river lakes in Alabama to see that. The spots are here and here to stay regardless of regulations and no one is happier than me. The spots that are in Norman and belews originally came from keowee by fisherman.

Alabama and Kentucky bass compete with largemouth bass and do not get as big even though largemouth coexist with them.

Although Alabama bass from California have been caught approaching 12 lbs.

A big Kentucky is 2-3 lbs.

[QUOTE=kb_rn;1219619]. People moan about how they mess up smallmouth but the fact if it is, NC is not a smallmouth state and never has been. People didn't travel from all over to NC to catch smallmouth. /QUOTE]

Perhaps you should re-think....

I have a group of friends on this site who turned me on to NC smallmouth fishing. They are now my favorite species to catch. We regularly drive 2+ hours to float the New, the Dan, the Yadkin, and other rivers for the thrill of catching smallies.

I keep setting a goal to catch smallies in 5 different rivers each year, but I usually only get 4.

Nobody travels long ways to catch spots. They are too common, and too easy to catch.
    jerry condrey, and wademaster like this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast