Lake James, Dead Sea ?

Thread: Lake James, Dead Sea ?

Default Lake James, Dead Sea ?

I have read and heard Lake James being referred to as the Dead Sea. Me and my fishing buds, have found it to be otherwise. Yes it can be a bit difficult to figure out some days. I can only recall one trip that was not that great and it was more the company on my boat than the fishing.

As you can see from pics, the fish are there. I mainly target Walleye, but catch lots of Bass, mainly Smallmouth. Normally catch a lot of keeper Perch and some nice White Bass. Recently we been hooking into some big cats. My largest Bass this year were a just over 4lb Smallmouth and LMB that was almost 4lbs. Last year around this time I caught 2 Smallmouth that were around 6lbs.

My bud and I both launched at the canal bridge ramp Sunday 10/20. After grabbing a few shiners at the Marina, we headed towards the Linville area and were on schools immediately. He caught several nice size cats on shiners, along with some Smallies and Perch. I did not do much on the shiners, I caught all mine on bottom bouncer worm rigs and artificials (rapalas) . He stayed on top of schools while I trolled around same area.

I did notice that the big schools seemed to be off the bank more than normal and that the rocky points had large concentrations of bait and some nice fish feeding on them. My suggestion to those fishing tight to the shore is too back off a bit and hit the deeper water. What is y'alls thoughts on this ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191012_182411.jpg‎ 
Views:	77 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	196055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191012_191000_HDR.jpg‎ 
Views:	68 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	196057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191020_121033_HDR.jpg‎ 
Views:	71 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	196059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191020_115821_HDR.jpg‎ 
Views:	63 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	196061  
    gambusia, and Nsinnerate like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dang, not sure why so many of my pics end up being sideways. I even tried rotating them. Sorry guys !

The white bass and walleye now have to be stocked because they cannot reproduce, but I think the herring now in the lake has resulted in bigger fish and a forage more easily eaten by bass and walleye than gizzard shad.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Dang, not sure why so many of my pics end up being sideways. I even tried rotating them. Sorry guys !
    ‘Are you using a IPhone, if so if you turn your phone sideways with the camera lens in top left corner that should solve your problem
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    ‘Are you using a IPhone, if so if you turn your phone sideways with the camera lens in top left corner that should solve your problem
    Yes, new phone to me. Tks bud, was wondering what the heck was going on

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    The white bass and walleye now have to be stocked because they cannot reproduce, but I think the herring now in the lake has resulted in bigger fish and a forage more easily eaten by bass and walleye than gizzard shad.
    I thought the Walleye were spawning up the Linville and Catawba at James. I was told that walleye are being stocked in James again. There is for sure a lot of bait !

The biologists now say they attempt to spawn with little success.

Hence resumption of stocking.

Good to know that they are stocking. Lake James is a nice area. My favorite in views of all the Catawba chain. Plus its the closest to me.

Man I need to try and fish James this winter for walleye. I went last spring and fished for crappie and had a good day and haven’t been back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by loganwayne View Post
    Man I need to try and fish James this winter for walleye. I went last spring and fished for crappie and had a good day and haven’t been back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We were there again yesterday (Saturday 10/26) My bud John and his GF at last count I heard had boated like 25 nice Smallmouth along with some other fish. Lake James is on fire, just fish away from the banks. I marked huge schools of shad with a lot of larger marks all around them. 30-80' water depth fish suspended from bottom to surface. Water temp was 69.9 and cooler near Linville river and near Catawba.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements