Fall fishing in the marsh

Thread: Fall fishing in the marsh

Default Fall fishing in the marsh

Got down to the coast Friday at lunchtime. Before launching my kayak I decided to pier fish in the Core Sound. First cast with a Sam's gitter double bucktail w Gulp shrimp resulted a double, 18" and 13" trout on same cast. Wow, I'm stoked. I fish another 45 minute w one more 16" before dead low tide.
    I launch and peddle 2 miles against a north wind reaching my targeted marsh. No hit while trolling a mirrowlure. Working a poppin cork, a Sam's gitter and a mirrowlure I fish for an hour before landing a 20" flounder. Slow fishing in great conditions (overcast, bait, current, marsh, birds). I land a rat red. Sun is getting low and I have a 45 min paddle against the tide, and boom the bite turns on. An 18" trout inhales my gitter. I drift back through and land a 16", then a 14". Then a sizable sea mullet is pulled in. Intermingled were lizard fish. I probable caught 8 from 8" to 13". Finally while the bite is on, I start moving out. I pull in the poppin cork, that hasn't been very productive and throw out the mirrowlure to troll back, but boom. As soon as it hit the water 30 feet behind the yak an explosion occurs. A major headshake, a pull of the drag and a couple of minutes later a 20"er is landed in my net. With another headshake that treble hook is tangled and dug into the rubber net. With the sun now set, 1 foot waves side slapping the yak, as bad as I want to take the time to untangle an troll back (or keep fishing), I set aside the mess, release the prize fish of the day and start a hard peddle back.
    The average size fish was was really nice but the catch consistency was hot or cold. Far from nonstop action, but a great day.
    Got out early the next morning (see pic) to a different marsh area and bait is everywhere. Fish are busting the surface. Using the exact same gear I work a point for 40 minutes with no hits. I go work some inside cuts. No hits. I peddle down a mile to a major point/bite. Bait everywhere. One flounder/released. I work/jig a hole, no bites. I peddle another mile and work away from the marsh on a beach-like side. Rat reds are everywhere and I catch a few. I fish around several more points w nothing. Five hours and no trout or slot rods. Heading back in I see a trout hit my gitter right at the boat (a 18 incher)/released. It is 12:30 and that's my day.
    Inshore fishing is producing nice fish. Finding bait and fish isn't too hard. Getting them to bite, that's another story. That's fishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20191026_180640_054_1572180908778.jpg‎
Views:	72
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	196085 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20191025_194229_227_1572180919187.jpg‎
Views:	76
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	196087 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20191025_194229_228_1572180927153.jpg‎
Views:	80
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	196089

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome day, you saltwater guys always make me jealous wish I lived on the coast

When so much bait is around it's often hard to get bites. Its hard to beat the real thing. It's why live bait is considered cheating.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements