Oak Hollow kicked my butt today! Anyone have any luck there lately?

Thread: Oak Hollow kicked my butt today! Anyone have any luck there lately?

Default Oak Hollow kicked my butt today! Anyone have any luck there lately?

Had a chance to go out to Oak Hollow today for a few hours. Wasn't able to get out there till around 9am, and by that time it was around 75 and water temp was around 71 degrees. Several boats out on the small lake. Started out fishing topwater (buzzbait and frog). Mostly working primary points that work around and into pockets. Didn't see hardly any activity. I tried alot of different baits today...squarebill, jerkbait, 5xd, swimbait, spinnerbait, flippin jig, and creature bait. I didn't even get a bite...stayed till about 1:30pm. I know I was fishing at a tough time of day (and blue bird skies), but I thought with the temps up a little, I thought the fall bite might be a little better. I did drive around and graph for awhile. Didn't see any bait balls and not much activity. I have only fished OH a couple times, and both times I haven't had much luck. Anyone else fish here? Am I missing something? Thanks again

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Oak Hollow can be tough. Let the water cool a bit more. I have always got them to hit shaky heads and Carolina rigs there up til about Thanksgiving. Put a green pumpkin speedcraw on your c rig. Bass here and at HPCL are funny about soft plastics .

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    Oak Hollow can be tough. Let the water cool a bit more. I have always got them to hit shaky heads and Carolina rigs there up til about Thanksgiving. Put a green pumpkin speedcraw on your c rig. Bass here and at HPCL are funny about soft plastics .
    Thanks! Yeah I much rather power fish but if that’s the only thing that’ works then I guess that’s what you got to do. Mind if I ask how you setup your C rig? (eg weight, leader length...) Also how do you determine where to fish your C rig? Go around with fishfinder looking for brush piles? Thanks again!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Points and humps. I use a 3/4 ounce weight, 3/0 hook. Glass or plastic beads and a 24" leader.

I haven't fished it since spring but I've had some good days out there the past couple years. I think the most I have ever caught is 8 or 9 but there are some really big fish out there. I always go out looking for 5 bites and hope one is big. I've found this to be a realistic expectation.

Once the water gets into the 60's the bite should pick up. With the drought and recent rain I would have headed back in the creeks looking for fresh water coming in.

My best pieces of advice are to get comfortable fishing dangerously around all those pine deadfalls. Although they are a giant pain in the butt to fish, there are always fish in them and you have to put the bait in front of them. Improving my casting has helped a great deal. My second piece of advice is I have my best luck fishing less than 5 FOW down to kicking up mud with the trolling motor. Finally, don't be afraid to fish dirty water out there. I've done well in water that most would consider muddy.
    jerry condrey likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I think it was just a slow day (or maybe I just suck ha). But I tried all of your suggestions...creeks with fresh water coming in, flipped jig, squarebill, and spinnerbait right in the middle of a ton of pines (and yes I had to put .a lot of change in the swear jar), fished all morning in less than 7 feet pretty much and finally, fished a large section of the lake that was much more muddy than the rest. Who knows...I'm sure a lot of it was me...but it's frustrating. I didn't try a lipless cb, nor did I try a carolina rig...so maybe those would have worked better.Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I think it was just a slow day (or maybe I just suck ha). But I tried all of your suggestions...creeks with fresh water coming in, flipped jig, squarebill, and spinnerbait right in the middle of a ton of pines (and yes I had to put .a lot of change in the swear jar), fished all morning in less than 7 feet pretty much and finally, fished a large section of the lake that was much more muddy than the rest. Who knows...I'm sure a lot of it was me...but it's frustrating. I didn't try a lipless cb, nor did I try a carolina rig...so maybe those would have worked better.Thanks again
    Sadly, that is the way it goes out there sometimes. I still blank out there too. Back in April I had a day with great conditions with good weather and water temps to have a nice day. Only hooked one tiny fish. The week before I caught 5 in "terrible" conditions with bluebird skies and a NW wind. It just doesn't make sense on some days.

One final piece of advice is fish as early or as late as you can. You fished through, what I find at least, the worst part of the day from about 11-2 PM. I typically fish afternoons and do my best after 3 PM. If you tried all my suggestions then I think the fish are probably still in a summer pattern and the C-rig might have been the ticket. They will follow the shad back in the creeks and if you aren't seeing any bait back there then the fish won't be there in any quantity.

Anyway, I hope you figure them out. It can be frustrating out there but when you catch them in a biting mood you can catch some big fish.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedingblue View Post
    Sadly, that is the way it goes out there sometimes. I still blank out there too. Back in April I had a day with great conditions with good weather and water temps to have a nice day. Only hooked one tiny fish. The week before I caught 5 in "terrible" conditions with bluebird skies and a NW wind. It just doesn't make sense on some days.

One final piece of advice is fish as early or as late as you can. You fished through, what I find at least, the worst part of the day from about 11-2 PM. I typically fish afternoons and do my best after 3 PM. If you tried all my suggestions then I think the fish are probably still in a summer pattern and the C-rig might have been the ticket. They will follow the shad back in the creeks and if you aren't seeing any bait back there then the fish won't be there in any quantity.

Anyway, I hope you figure them out. It can be frustrating out there but when you catch them in a biting mood you can catch some big fish.

I know that throwing crawish lures are recommended for fall. This may be a dumb question, but how do you know if they are in your body of water? (ie piedmont area). thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
    I know that throwing crawish lures are recommended for fall. This may be a dumb question, but how do you know if they are in your body of water? (ie piedmont area). thanks
    I'm pretty sure every lake in the Piedmont has crawfish.
    DW46 likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Often either boom or bust at OH, and a tough lake to find a pattern. If all else fails, try a crankbait on the rocks...my old Rebel Deep Wee R's sometimes save the day there.
    Fishscalz likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements