Newbie Needs Help with Stripers/Hybrids Around North Charlotte

Thread: Newbie Needs Help with Stripers/Hybrids Around North Charlotte

Default Newbie Needs Help with Stripers/Hybrids Around North Charlotte

This winter my primary goal is to catch my first hybrid/striper from either the bank or my kayak it’s a fish I tried for several times last year and got skunked each trip.

Other than some internet research I am totally clueless on how to catch stripers in our area and would be willing to make a bit of a drive if it improved my chances.

Any information would help, techniques, what to look for, anything.

Right now I’m fishing without a fish finder but I should have one rigged up shortly.

Thanks so much

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Where do you plan to fish for the Striped ones?
    Norman, Catawba River, or elsewhere?
    Also, bait or lures?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    Where do you plan to fish for the Striped ones?
    Norman, Catawba River, or elsewhere?
    Also, bait or lures?
    Preferably Norman, since It’s the closest to me but am willing to make a drive if the fishing is worth it.

I live on the Southside of Norman near the Mguire hot hole so I am within a short driving distance of Mt. Island and Norman, I’ve heard Mt Island doesn’t have a decent population of hybrids and stripers.

On the issue of bait, I’m not sure like I said I’m going into this without much knowledge and am not sure what the better choice would be.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fishing chicken liver or fresh shad cutbait at the hot hole once the water temp gets in the 60's in the main lake is a good high percentage technique.

A light surf rod and reel with 20 pound braid, and a slip sinker rig with a 3/0-6/0 circle hook will get you in the game from the bank, although you will likely lose some rigs. Just like fishing for catfish in any tailrace, the longer surf rod helps minimize and get loose from hangs. Early and late in the day are prime times.

Trolling crank baits or swim baits in predominately white or chartreuse from you kayak around lake points will also yield results. Fishing these near the bottom in 8-18 feet of water, will get a bit of everything.

Trolling a tandem rig with different colors (mostly white crank bait, and mostly chartreuse 1/4 oz. jig head with swimbait or curlytail plastic), or switch colors will give you a good shot at getting a hybrid around creek channels and humps). Again, near the bottom will get better results.

Troll a bit faster than you would for most fish, 3-4 miles an hour, and up, until the water gets in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    Fishing chicken liver or fresh shad cutbait at the hot hole once the water temp gets in the 60's in the main lake is a good high percentage technique.

A light surf rod and reel with 20 pound braid, and a slip sinker rig with a 3/0-6/0 circle hook will get you in the game from the bank, although you will likely lose some rigs. Just like fishing for catfish in any tailrace, the longer surf rod helps minimize and get loose from hangs. Early and late in the day are prime times.

Trolling crank baits or swim baits in predominately white or chartreuse from you kayak around lake points will also yield results. Fishing these near the bottom in 8-18 feet of water, will get a bit of everything.

Trolling a tandem rig with different colors (mostly white crank bait, and mostly chartreuse 1/4 oz. jig head with swimbait or curlytail plastic), or switch colors will give you a good shot at getting a hybrid around creek channels and humps). Again, near the bottom will get better results.

Troll a bit faster than you would for most fish, 3-4 miles an hour, and up, until the water gets in the 50's.
    Is the Marshall Hot Hole better thane the McGuire one? I tried fishing Mcguire several times last year with no results except one spot.

In general, more current is better. Marshall generally seems to have more current more often. The water color is usually better there as well, being closer to the headwaters. Just a bit of stain makes it easier to get bit with heavier line.

It takes some getting used to, and a fine touch, but fishing the current breaks in heavier current is more consistent than flat water for myself.

Fish the hot holes and look for shad
    Fishscalz likes this.

Went to the McGuire hot hole today, I started out fishing with one rod on the bottom and with a bobber. Both had on crappie minnows. I had no luck what so ever.

The quest continues.

I've sincerely appreciated the tips so far and would love to hear even more, thank you guys.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements