Battery charger maintainers
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Battery charger maintainers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Clyde
    Posts
    25

    Default Battery charger maintainers

    I cant get my head wrapped around how to use a multi bank charger. I have 24v trolling motor and then boat runs off 12v. Is there a way to charge both at the same time without having to separate the trolling motor batteries every time or will i need to have to separate bank charges one for 12v and one for 24v?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs & Oriental, NC
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Figure 6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	C96D768A-3BD6-4DBB-A2B9-E8C28DD3849E.jpg‎
Views:	137
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	196169
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cary NC
    Posts
    5,550

    Default

    You shouldnt have to disconnect anything. The charger leads charge each battery independently even though they are wired in series for the trolling motor.
    LIVIT likes this.

    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Carteret County
    Posts
    5,497

    Default

    Similar question can you charge a single battery with a 2 bank charger? It says check connections when I plug it in because 2nd battery isnt connected.
    I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.
    Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

  7. #5
    trigger22's Avatar
    trigger22 is offline
    Moderator
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,288
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    Similar question can you charge a single battery with a 2 bank charger? It says check connections when I plug it in because 2nd battery isnt connected.
    Yes. You have to connect both sets of leads to the battery.
    Island Man likes this.


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cary NC
    Posts
    5,550

    Default

    On a Minn Kota charger if you have a disconnected lead, the other banks continue to charge normal and the bank that is not connected gives red lights to indicate a connection problem. Pretty the Dual Pro I had was the same way.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs & Oriental, NC
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    Yes. You have to connect both sets of leads to the battery.
    Correct, but be careful. The charging rate will be doubled, you do not want to charge at more than 20 amps. High charging rates are not always good and can cause a wet cell battery to dry out excessively fast and shorten its life, so watch the fluid level.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Carteret County
    Posts
    5,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NCTribute View Post
    Correct, but be careful. The charging rate will be doubled, you do not want to charge at more than 20 amps. High charging rates are not always good and can cause a wet cell battery to dry out excessively fast and shorten its life, so watch the fluid level.
    Tried it now says full charge but also check connections is flashing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.
    Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs & Oriental, NC
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    Tried it now says full charge but also check connections is flashing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minn Kota website says it is ok to do with their chargers, different brand maybe not.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Carteret County
    Posts
    5,497

    Default

    It is a MK charger strange that is says check connection when fully charged.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCTribute View Post
    Minn Kota website says it is ok to do with their chargers, different brand maybe not.
    I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.
    Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

  13. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts