NC Angler Forums banner

Fish I.d.

Sounds 
4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  LIVIT 
#1 ·
Here’s another one, cast net pulled him in the other day back in the creek. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Interesting, thanks!

Where do y’all find the ID for these smaller non game species. I’ve been looking for some type of guide, preferably a free online pdf, but don’t mind shelling out some clams for a good book.

I used to volunteer and a ichthyology lab at uncw and am planning on reaching back out to get the names of the references we used for fish Id too. Just lost my contacts emails....

#10 ·
Curious. This is a warm water species. Where did you catch this fish? Which leads me to ask a further question: Global warming? Color me skeptic, but needs further investigation. And, whatever, that thing looks like it would be great bait, and probably tastes pretty good if they get big enough to eat. Looks like possibly related to sand perch.

#11 ·
Biologists have been reporting / suggesting a northward expansion of many warm water species as ocean temps have increased slightly over the past few decades, but this is really nothing new. On the east coast, many species that spawn offshore have larvae and juveniles that will ride the Gulf Stream north and they'll follow warm water eddies from the Stream to locations just offshore or inshore. I know people who have caught snook in the White Oak River, and not just recently. Same thing happens on the west coast during El Nino years. There are bonefish in San Diego Bay. Not many, but they are there. You can never rule out anything on the ocean.

#13 ·
The original fish above was Caught up a creek near Emerald Isle. Brackish to fresh water species are found in the area.

I have also had this same questions of fish that are not regulated under state law if there is not federal law restricting the harvest.

#14 ·
The fish in the original post was caught in a creek in the swansboro area. Brackish but mostly salt water in the area.

I have questioned the regulation of fish that do not fall under state or federal regulations. Such as the snook and less common bone fish, which I have also heard of in the topsail area and elsewhere.

#16 ·
I read an article recently about non-regulated game fish like Snook & Tarpon in SC. Apparently according to SC fishing biologist there being caught a lot more now than ever before. I am sure this also applies to southern NC too. There is talk to include them in the regulations soon, least in SC. IMO, I think this is a good idea.

Tried to find article link, no luck yet. Biologists stated they believe that SNC and SC have become estuary areas for both these species. I personally would love to see the Snook become more common in SC waters. Thats where I am moving too soon !

#17 ·
Zebralips, I agree with your sentiment completely and would be putting the fish back, but I was pretty curious about the fisheries regulation if there is one, out personal interest of fisheries management.

I would really like to see the article about implementing a regulation on those species

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.