Boone

Thread: Boone

Default Boone

Hello all,

I live on the coast and I'm taking my family on a trip up to the Boone area in the beginning of January. I would like to do some stream trout fishing while I'm there. I'm not wanting to do a charter, just wanting my daughter to catch a few trout. Can anyone point me in the right directed on where to start? Thanks in advance.
    Reel-Oars

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Best bet at that time would be to try a delayed harvest stream. Look on NC Wildlife website for a stream near by.

There is a good chance most streams will be frozen in January in Boone, and the northern high country. Sometimes opportunities avail themselves in February, but it takes a great deal of warm weather to thaw streams out once they freeze up good.

The Todd Island State Park (New River) area may not be frozen due to the fact this stream is fairly large, but large streams have drawbacks also, such as strong current. If you plan on fishing during the week, I'd skip the Boone area and simply swing by the Mitchell. Avoid the Mitchell on the weekends however. It will be much warmer there.
    Reel-Oars likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

PM sent

Darrell
    lostnwilderness, and Reel-Oars like this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by mrpossumtail View Post
    There is a good chance most streams will be frozen in January in Boone, and the northern high country. Sometimes opportunities avail themselves in February, but it takes a great deal of warm weather to thaw streams out once they freeze up good.

The Todd Island State Park (New River) area may not be frozen due to the fact this stream is fairly large, but large streams have drawbacks also, such as strong current. If you plan on fishing during the week, I'd skip the Boone area and simply swing by the Mitchell. Avoid the Mitchell on the weekends however. It will be much warmer there.
    Thanks much for the info. That is very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reel-Oars

I guide in the Boone area and winter trout fishing there is abysmal. Hate to tell you that. DH stockers are your best bet, like the others have mentioned.
    Reel-Oars likes this.

with the awful report of winter stream trout fishing sucking,
    maybe, if budget allows, find a fishing guide on watuga reservoir for lake trout
    or boone lake in TN for stripers or for brown trout

best of luck

coach
    Reel-Oars, and Trout_Guide like this.

I would try the Watauga in Valle Crucis - you can access the river from the park and it's a delayed harvest section. If it hasn't gotten too cold you might do well there. Also stop by the Due South Fly Shop in Boone or Foscoe Orvis for suggestions. Good luck.
    dbeam, and Reel-Oars like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel-Oars View Post
    Hello all,

I live on the coast and I'm taking my family on a trip up to the Boone area in the beginning of January. I would like to do some stream trout fishing while I'm there. I'm not wanting to do a charter, just wanting my daughter to catch a few trout. Can anyone point me in the right directed on where to start? Thanks in advance.
    Wilson creek delayed harvest is kicking up right now with some pretty nice fish.May be worth the drive.

Amen on what Mag1 said. The Watauga in Valle Crucis is wonderful for beginners, children, and old folks. I've never been there in the winter but October after they release the trout is spectacular if you have food nugget flies. It is a wonderful place close to Boone, easy to wade, filled with fish, and close to a Mast Store. What more could you want?
    Whitefish 115
    dbeam, and Reel-Oars like this.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements