NC Angler Forums banner

Lake Hickory Stripers 11/05/19, Help !

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Trout_Guide 
#1 ·
Launched at Wittenburg. Started trolling at mouth of access. Marked large fish chasing shad. I headed up lake, marked a lot of large schools of bait being chased. I trolled channel edges and shore line. I went up the Upper Little river and Gunpowder creek. I caught several nice Largemouth, one of which had to be the ugliest Bass I have ever seen, blind in one eye, other eye had milky appearance, scarred up, just plain ugly !

I was running six rods using planer boards. Used A-Rigs, shad cranks, curly tails and live large shiners. I trolled for around 8 hrs. I had one for sure Striper hooked, had another strike that I am sure was a Striper. That was it, feel like I should of done a lot better. I have caught a lot of Stripers in mostly saltwater. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#5 ·
I was running 2 down rods and 4 on planers. There was large schools of bait, just off most points and on all the points off all the creeks and river. I did not try throwing my cast net. I had a couple dozen large shiners already left over from day before, that I thought would work as good as the shad. Guess I thought wrong !!! Really surprised that the ShadRaps and A-Rigs did not do a lot more. Cannot run A-Rigs slower than 1mph, Least I cant without getting hung up all the time.

#6 ·
I normally always pull all live bait or two umbrella rigs by them self. It's either or for me. Live bait seems to work the best most of the time. Learned along time ago that the natural bait In the lake was better then any store bought. See you one there some time. I'm about to gear up for trout tournaments at lake Jocassee in SC. They start Dec 14th and I'll pre fish a few weekends before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Anyone been on hky lately? Looking to net some shad.

Has anyone ever had luck putting a light out and catching herring at night? Looking to try anything to catch good bait. No where near here to buy herring our trout.
Thanks for any advice given.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
It was short, 21” or so, been really disappointed in Hickory this season. In past years I have always had decent luck with limits of 6-8 lb fish every 2 or 3 trips now it seems like they are every 6-8 trips.
Last season and this year so far, we just can’t seem to find the bigger class fish. I’m not a Johnny Come Lately fisherman we have put in the time since 2012. My son has even done some guiding with success on Hickory both Summer and Winter season. During the winter we fish out of a Blue 175 walkthrough Tracker Pro Guide with a Blue Enclosure if you see us on the Water stop by and shout out.
Or tune us in on VHF ch 69 Reelsmoke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.