Lake Hickory Stripers 11/05/19, Help !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Hickory Stripers 11/05/19, Help !

Default Lake Hickory Stripers 11/05/19, Help !

Launched at Wittenburg. Started trolling at mouth of access. Marked large fish chasing shad. I headed up lake, marked a lot of large schools of bait being chased. I trolled channel edges and shore line. I went up the Upper Little river and Gunpowder creek. I caught several nice Largemouth, one of which had to be the ugliest Bass I have ever seen, blind in one eye, other eye had milky appearance, scarred up, just plain ugly !

I was running six rods using planer boards. Used A-Rigs, shad cranks, curly tails and live large shiners. I trolled for around 8 hrs. I had one for sure Striper hooked, had another strike that I am sure was a Striper. That was it, feel like I should of done a lot better. I have caught a lot of Stripers in mostly saltwater. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Trout_Guide likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Launched at Wittenburg. Started trolling at mouth of access. Marked large fish chasing shad. I headed up lake, marked a lot of large schools of bait being chased. I trolled channel edges and shore line. I went up the Upper Little river and Gunpowder creek. I caught several nice Largemouth, one of which had to be the ugliest Bass I have ever seen, blind in one eye, other eye had milky appearance, scarred up, just plain ugly !

I was running six rods using planer boards. Used A-Rigs, shad cranks, curly tails and live large shiners. I trolled for around 8 hrs. I had one for sure Striper hooked, had another strike that I am sure was a Striper. That was it, feel like I should of done a lot better. I have caught a lot of Stripers in mostly saltwater. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Try dropping live bait and fish at about .7mph. slow troll. What as water temp?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    LIVIT likes this.

Water temp was 67-68. I was trolling from 1.2 - 2.5 mph. Thats what I had always done and read about doing same in freshwater. I will for sure slow it down. I did not see much of any surface action. Tks bud

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Water temp was 67-68. I was trolling from 1.2 - 2.5 mph. Thats what I had always done and read about doing same in freshwater. I will for sure slow it down. I did not see much of any surface action. Tks bud
    I'm trying to head out with a friend Saturday am. May look for bait Friday evening/night. I always drop 4 down rods and 4or 6 planers back

LIVIT likes this.

I was running 2 down rods and 4 on planers. There was large schools of bait, just off most points and on all the points off all the creeks and river. I did not try throwing my cast net. I had a couple dozen large shiners already left over from day before, that I thought would work as good as the shad. Guess I thought wrong !!! Really surprised that the ShadRaps and A-Rigs did not do a lot more. Cannot run A-Rigs slower than 1mph, Least I cant without getting hung up all the time.

I was running 2 down rods and 4 on planers. There was large schools of bait, just off most points and on all the points off all the creeks and river. I did not try throwing my cast net. I had a couple dozen large shiners already left over from day before, that I thought would work as good as the shad. Guess I thought wrong !!! Really surprised that the ShadRaps and A-Rigs did not do a lot more. Cannot run A-Rigs slower than 1mph, Least I cant without getting hung up all the time.
    I normally always pull all live bait or two umbrella rigs by them self. It's either or for me. Live bait seems to work the best most of the time. Learned along time ago that the natural bait In the lake was better then any store bought. See you one there some time. I'm about to gear up for trout tournaments at lake Jocassee in SC. They start Dec 14th and I'll pre fish a few weekends before.

LIVIT, and Trout_Guide like this.

Anyone been on hky lately? Looking to net some shad.

Has anyone ever had luck putting a light out and catching herring at night? Looking to try anything to catch good bait. No where near here to buy herring our trout.
    Thanks for any advice given.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHER87 View Post
    Anyone been on hky lately? Looking to net some shad.

Has anyone ever had luck putting a light out and catching herring at night? Looking to try anything to catch good bait. No where near here to buy herring our trout.
    Thanks for any advice given.

Made it out Friday around lunch. Ended up going to the mtns to get trout for bait. Fished around love lady with no bites. Good bait in the area though. Went on up to **** and made a pass down river from there. Caught one around 10lb on planner board. Always an exciting way to catch them.

dbeam, LIVIT, and Trout_Guide like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Nice Striper, We fished around Gunpowder some on Tuesday with no luck.

Darrell
    Trout_Guide likes this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by dbeam View Post
    Nice Striper, We fished around Gunpowder some on Tuesday with no luck.

Darrell
    Yea I'm not sure where they really arem just know there are always some up river like that. Had several get after trout and run them to the top. Some nice boils going on up there as well. Water was not moving.

LIVIT likes this.

Gunpowder was full of floating debris when Dbeam and I went, making it impossible to troll. Glad to see someone having success on those stripers.
    LIVIT likes this.

Trout Guide where you there today? When you say debris do you mean leaves or something more solid?
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Quote Originally Posted by Reelsmoke View Post
    Trout Guide where you there today? When you say debris do you mean leaves or something more solid?
    This was before this last rain. Tuesday I think and it was leaves and pine needles. It rained 1 1/2 plus around Hickory, I have not put eyes on the lake today. If I go that way tomorrow I will let you know what it looks like.

Darrell
    LIVIT likes this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by FISHER87 View Post
    Yea I'm not sure where they really arem just know there are always some up river like that. Had several get after trout and run them to the top. Some nice boils going on up there as well. Water was not moving.

Nice one bud, I know where u were at from pic, but not saying anything Seems like there is always debris in Hickory, least there has been everytime I launch there. Mostly small limbs, leaves etc...but enough to foul up my trolling rigs some.

Nice one bud, I know where u were at from pic, but not saying anything Seems like there is always debris in Hickory, least there has been everytime I launch there. Mostly small limbs, leaves etc...but enough to foul up my trolling rigs some.
    For sure lots of leaves and all right now. Fished yesterday evening around love lady and Bethlehem cove. Had several hits bit no takers. Seems like nothing big enough to eat the trout I got. They are around 8inch. Will have to put some trailers on them I guess. Hope to go out another day this week.

Also I dont care if you can see where I was. In my opinion I feel like that's what this form is for is to help ppl. I really hate that most are tight lipped and feel like the fish in the lake are theirs. Not at all how it is.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast