McGuire Hot Hole

Thread: McGuire Hot Hole

Default McGuire Hot Hole

Went to the hot hole today to launch my quest this winter to catch my first Striper/Hybrid.

I headed there around 2:45 pm my phone said it was about 41 degrees. I started my day off at the dock near the center due to the fact the end closest to the plant was insanely crowded and the rest of the area was deserted. I mainly fished Crappie minnows a few feet under bobbers because anytime I'd try and fish the bottom I'd end up snagged. Around 4pm after no bites I headed towards the bridge, I fished it until 5.

That's when I went down to the end near the plant by that time most of the crowd had left and only me and two other guys were fishing. At the sunset fish began to jump frequently however nothing touched by baits.

In the end all I got was some lost tackle and extremely cold.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did you see any fish caught while you were there?
    Kudos for fishing in the cold weather, I'm just not that hungry to catch a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    Did you see any fish caught while you were there?
    Kudos for fishing in the cold weather, I'm just not that hungry to catch a fish.
    Heard some guys yelling a few times but couldn’t tell if they were just having a good time or caught some fish.

Honestly that wasn’t bad for me, last year I was tossing crank baits at the hot hole in 13 degree weather

Really wanna catch my first striper lol
    Fishscalz likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Keep at it, you'll get some.

They travel more than most fish, you have to wait them out sometimes.

They are usually positive or negative when it comes to catching, not a lot of neutral in their moods.

Back in the day I would wear a snow mobile suit to stay warm fishing in cold weather for Stripers and Trout, not anymore.

One more piece of advice, use a landing net fishing tail races. It makes a huge difference in landing fish in fast water. You'll also be a hero helping others land fish as well.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements