Pier Rod Recommendation

Thread: Pier Rod Recommendation

Default Pier Rod Recommendation

Good morning,

I don't do a lot of pier fishing but would like to buy at least one general purpose rod to go fish off the planks along the North Carolina coast once in awhile.

What length, action, line and lure rating would you recommend?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    Good morning,

I don't do a lot of pier fishing but would like to buy at least one general purpose rod to go fish off the planks along the North Carolina coast once in awhile.

What length, action, line and lure rating would you recommend?

Thanks
    Depends on what you want to catch. If your just soaking bait on the bottom, I use my 7í medium with 20lb. Thatís always been more then enough. Sorry canít help you for a king setup

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reel-Oars

I have been using the Ugly Stik saltwater rods for exactly what your doing for years. From piers and shore, I like a medium to medium heavy 7-9'. For casting lures, I like a medium 7' for soaking baits for big reds etc I go with the 9' medium heavy. I use to have a 15 or 16' extra heavy Stik for pier or surf fishing, used it as a anchor line for king rigs. 12' mh works great for casting heavier sinkers in a bit heavier surf or strong current. I never used heavier than 25-30lb for any of my saltwater rods, used a shock leader of a heavier line if I was going to be casting more than 6 oz sinker. It does really depend on what your targeting and how your fishing.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6.5-7ft med ugly stik with 3000-4000 size reel. 12lb mono.
    LedHotZeplinPepr likes this.

I like to use a three-rod attack!

7-foot medium-light Ugly Stik Inshore Select for sabiki rigs

7-foot medium Teramar for casting out whatever. I've pondered going 8 feet on this rod to get more distance, but I don't need to buy any more rods

9.5-foot Tsunami Airwave Elite for soaking

Been using a BPS Brawler 6’-6” rod (2 pc to fit in my car) with a Daiwa BG 4000 reel and 30 lbs. braid / shock leader. Had this setup about two and a half years now, its held up fine for piers, docks, inshore, and surf when I don’t have my longer rods available. OH

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements