Tar River Reservoir Crappie fishing

Thread: Tar River Reservoir Crappie fishing

Default Tar River Reservoir Crappie fishing

Tried it yesterday for the first time and the water temp was 52. I found tons and tons of bait and what looked like Crappie but I caught very little. 1 Crappie and 1 Bluegill. I was the only 1 fishing on the entire lake with the chilly drizzle. There was a guy at the ramp when I was loading up that said the Crappie fishing is phenomenal in there. He said he mainly fishes boat docks and that the water level has been low in there for quite a while. I was looking in deeper water for brush or just suspended crappie. I wonder if hes fished it lately and if you can still shoot docks for crappie with low 50s water temps? I'm kinda thinking yesterday I would've done better with minnows instead of jigs. Any suggestions for next time??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    satguy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fished there quite a bit the last couple years. I’ve pretty good on the docks close to the channel. I’ve done best with minnows, however small jigs dishes slow worked pretty good too!
    roostertail24 likes this.

Was about dry about a month ago. Could have effected fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I been doing really good on natural colored small shad imitations. Bagley shiver shad, Rapala ShadRap #4 size. I was trolling them deep for walleye, but should work on shallower brush piles etc.

WHich ramp did you use? Its a great crappie lake. I've not been since August but I would expect the fish to be tight towards the shad and soon be heading to channel edges. I typically use minnows or jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by todobien View Post
    WHich ramp did you use? Its a great crappie lake. I've not been since August but I would expect the fish to be tight towards the shad and soon be heading to channel edges. I typically use minnows or jigs.
    I used the one on the western side of the lake. Closest to 95.

Sapony Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by todobien View Post
    Sapony Creek?
    The one off old carriage rd. Not ffamiliar with the creek names

I've been wanting to try this place for a long time and just haven't gotten to it. I hate you didn't catch much.

Quote Originally Posted by basswrangler View Post
    I've been wanting to try this place for a long time and just haven't gotten to it. I hate you didn't catch much.
    I wouldn't let that discourage you from fishing there. It was my first time there and the weather was very poor. It has a reputation as a great crappie lake. Just kinda a far drive to freshwater fish for me at an hour and fifteen minutes

Yep that's sapony. the stretch just above the ramp to the bridge is excellent. Was out there today for a bit and some guys were getting some in 12 or so ft of water. I wasn't fishing.

is the water level high enough for power boats?

I have had my 19ft skiff in it and launched at Sapony Creek. I do know that the ramp is short and if the water is low then you wouldnt be able to get in. It is plenty deep at normaly level for a power boat. If you go over into the river you will see lots of people tubing, skiing, wake boarding during the summer.

I remember a few months ago the water level was super low. So I guess now it's safe to launch?

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements