What's a good Starting Fly Fishing Setup that won't break the bank? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good Starting Fly Fishing Setup that won't break the bank?

6 weight is the standard all around fly rod for trout and bass, though if you'll primarily be plying small creeks for trout, a 5 wt may be a better choice. As Tribute noted, fly rod weight correlates mostly to the size of fly you'll be throwing. But just to muddy the waters even further, Brand X 6 wt fly rod may throw Brand Y 5 wt line better than it throws Brand Y 6 wt line, and Brand Z 7 wt fly line may be an even better match for that rod. All of that can be bewildering to a beginner at fly fishing. I wouldn't over think it too much, but I think you will find that the established name brands will perform better than the bargain basement kits like those you linked to. Most of those are cheaply made Chinese manufactured knock offs. There are a lot of entry level kits on the market-- Echo, Reddington, Orvis, Sage and TFO all make good ones that won't break the bank. Cabela's and Bass Pro starter kits aren't bad either, and though many if not most of those I mentioned are manufactured overseas, they at least conform to what you might loosely call the industry standard as far as rod taper, action and performance with the line they are rated for. I think you'll be much more satisfied in the long run if you buy a starter combo from a local fly shop (strongly preferred) or from BP or Cabela's where the staffs are reasonably knowledgeable and can outfit you properly. Fly fishing from a kayak while sitting down is entirely do-able and it's fun and effective. You can't achieve the distances in your casts as well as if you were standing up on terra firma or in a boat, but you don't need to. The kayak will get you into close enough range to fish effectively, but you might have to figure out an external rod mount. A 9' fly rod may not fit into a SIK. An added advantage of buying from a local shop is that many will let you cast a number of different combos before you purchase one, and many offer casting instruction. Plus they can help you learn the basic knots for attaching backing to fly line, fly line to leader, fly selection and many other tricks of the trade. Plus some will have used rods and reels for sale which is a great option if you know what you're looking for / at. Good luck.
    Yakkin likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

bmac had done a good job of summarizing. I would add the Scientific Anglers combo to the recommendations. Whichever route you pursue, I would encourage at least a 1 hour casting lesson from someone who routinely does instruction....not a pricey guided trip...just basic instruction on roll casts, pickup and laydown, false casting etc. Good fundamentals makes all the difference. With regard to some starter outfits....I have often found the line is mis-matched to the stiffness of the rod. In those cases, folks have had to buy a new fly line to get decent performance....thus eliminating any cost savings. Get a good basic well known name brand setup from a fly shop with staff qualified to advise and coach you. It will likely save money in the long run and signifcantly expedite the learning curve.

I fish sitting down in a kayak and canoe all the time. Learning the fundamentals of good casting is the key. Standing thigh deep in water and casting...is about the same as sitting on top of the water in a kayak in an erect posture....not leaning way back in a seat that doesn't support you in an upright posture....
    bmac likes this.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

Nice TFO starter set on Facebook marketplace right now for $150 5wt 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12