NC Angler Forums banner

What's a good Starting Fly Fishing Setup that won't break the bank?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Yakkin 
#1 ·
[Update] What's a good Starting Fly Fishing Setup that won't break the bank?

I'm looking to get into fly fishing for primarily bass and the occasional drive to some of the trout streams an hour or two from Charlotte.

I'm wondering what's a good rod and set up that would be under 150$?

#2 ·
The Eagle Claw fiberglass rods are super cheap and awesome. Just add whatever cheapo reel off of amazon but get a good quality fly line for it. I think the Eagle Claws need one weight fly line heavier than they are labeled. Even if u get a nicer rod later u will still enjoy the eagle claw featherlight

#5 ·
The weight of the rod is not always determined by the size of the fish, can also be by the size of the flies you will be throwing. Bass flies are usually big, a 4 or 5 weight may not cast them well. I typically use an 8 wt for largemouth, a 6 wt for smallmouth and a 4 or 5 weight for trout. Usually have split shot when fishing trout and mostly the larger streams. Not saying you can not use a 5 wt for largemouth, but will limit what you throw.

#7 ·
I think I’m going to go for a 4/5 wt then as I’ll mainly be using it to fish some of the trout streams an hour or two outside Charlotte.

Another new question I’m having though is on wader size. When I look online I see waders one size 7-14 is this correlated to shoe size? I’m a big guy 6’3 250lbs so I want to make sure I get some that fit.

#6 ·
The 7' eagleclaw 5/6wt with 7wt line is a really fun rod. For some reason the 8' 5/6wt rod is pretty awful. It's too heavy and way thicker that the shorter. I know a lot of people like the 3/4 wt with 5wt line on it as well... I have only used the 7' 5/6 saltwater fishing because I live at the beach. I've caught puppy drum, stripers, shad, and decent sized speckled trout with it. I pretty much just fish clouser flies with it. If I lived somewhere less windy I'd use the 3/4wt just because it's fun to use tiny rods

#16 ·
6 weight is the standard all around fly rod for trout and bass, though if you'll primarily be plying small creeks for trout, a 5 wt may be a better choice. As Tribute noted, fly rod weight correlates mostly to the size of fly you'll be throwing. But just to muddy the waters even further, Brand X 6 wt fly rod may throw Brand Y 5 wt line better than it throws Brand Y 6 wt line, and Brand Z 7 wt fly line may be an even better match for that rod. All of that can be bewildering to a beginner at fly fishing. I wouldn't over think it too much, but I think you will find that the established name brands will perform better than the bargain basement kits like those you linked to. Most of those are cheaply made Chinese manufactured knock offs. There are a lot of entry level kits on the market-- Echo, Reddington, Orvis, Sage and TFO all make good ones that won't break the bank. Cabela's and Bass Pro starter kits aren't bad either, and though many if not most of those I mentioned are manufactured overseas, they at least conform to what you might loosely call the industry standard as far as rod taper, action and performance with the line they are rated for. I think you'll be much more satisfied in the long run if you buy a starter combo from a local fly shop (strongly preferred) or from BP or Cabela's where the staffs are reasonably knowledgeable and can outfit you properly. Fly fishing from a kayak while sitting down is entirely do-able and it's fun and effective. You can't achieve the distances in your casts as well as if you were standing up on terra firma or in a boat, but you don't need to. The kayak will get you into close enough range to fish effectively, but you might have to figure out an external rod mount. A 9' fly rod may not fit into a SIK. An added advantage of buying from a local shop is that many will let you cast a number of different combos before you purchase one, and many offer casting instruction. Plus they can help you learn the basic knots for attaching backing to fly line, fly line to leader, fly selection and many other tricks of the trade. Plus some will have used rods and reels for sale which is a great option if you know what you're looking for / at. Good luck.

#17 ·
bmac had done a good job of summarizing. I would add the Scientific Anglers combo to the recommendations. Whichever route you pursue, I would encourage at least a 1 hour casting lesson from someone who routinely does instruction....not a pricey guided trip...just basic instruction on roll casts, pickup and laydown, false casting etc. Good fundamentals makes all the difference. With regard to some starter outfits....I have often found the line is mis-matched to the stiffness of the rod. In those cases, folks have had to buy a new fly line to get decent performance....thus eliminating any cost savings. Get a good basic well known name brand setup from a fly shop with staff qualified to advise and coach you. It will likely save money in the long run and signifcantly expedite the learning curve.

I fish sitting down in a kayak and canoe all the time. Learning the fundamentals of good casting is the key. Standing thigh deep in water and casting...is about the same as sitting on top of the water in a kayak in an erect posture....not leaning way back in a seat that doesn't support you in an upright posture....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.