What's a good Starting Fly Fishing Setup that won't break the bank?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good Starting Fly Fishing Setup that won't break the bank?

Default [Update] What's a good Starting Fly Fishing Setup that won't break the bank?

I'm looking to get into fly fishing for primarily bass and the occasional drive to some of the trout streams an hour or two from Charlotte.

I'm wondering what's a good rod and set up that would be under 150$?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Eagle Claw fiberglass rods are super cheap and awesome. Just add whatever cheapo reel off of amazon but get a good quality fly line for it. I think the Eagle Claws need one weight fly line heavier than they are labeled. Even if u get a nicer rod later u will still enjoy the eagle claw featherlight

Quote Originally Posted by zebralips View Post
    The Eagle Claw fiberglass rods are super cheap and awesome. Just add whatever cheapo reel off of amazon but get a good quality fly line for it. I think the Eagle Claws need one weight fly line heavier than they are labeled. Even if u get a nicer rod later u will still enjoy the eagle claw featherlight
    What size rod should I start with that would work for both bass and trout?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Debating on either a 5wt or a 4wt, can’t really decide

The weight of the rod is not always determined by the size of the fish, can also be by the size of the flies you will be throwing. Bass flies are usually big, a 4 or 5 weight may not cast them well. I typically use an 8 wt for largemouth, a 6 wt for smallmouth and a 4 or 5 weight for trout. Usually have split shot when fishing trout and mostly the larger streams. Not saying you can not use a 5 wt for largemouth, but will limit what you throw.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

The 7' eagleclaw 5/6wt with 7wt line is a really fun rod. For some reason the 8' 5/6wt rod is pretty awful. It's too heavy and way thicker that the shorter. I know a lot of people like the 3/4 wt with 5wt line on it as well... I have only used the 7' 5/6 saltwater fishing because I live at the beach. I've caught puppy drum, stripers, shad, and decent sized speckled trout with it. I pretty much just fish clouser flies with it. If I lived somewhere less windy I'd use the 3/4wt just because it's fun to use tiny rods

Quote Originally Posted by NCTribute View Post
    The weight of the rod is not always determined by the size of the fish, can also be by the size of the flies you will be throwing. Bass flies are usually big, a 4 or 5 weight may not cast them well. I typically use an 8 wt for largemouth, a 6 wt for smallmouth and a 4 or 5 weight for trout. Usually have split shot when fishing trout and mostly the larger streams. Not saying you can not use a 5 wt for largemouth, but will limit what you throw.
    I think I’m going to go for a 4/5 wt then as I’ll mainly be using it to fish some of the trout streams an hour or two outside Charlotte.

Another new question I’m having though is on wader size. When I look online I see waders one size 7-14 is this correlated to shoe size? I’m a big guy 6’3 250lbs so I want to make sure I get some that fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakkin View Post
    I think Iím going to go for a 4/5 wt then as Iíll mainly be using it to fish some of the trout streams an hour or two outside Charlotte.

Another new question Iím having though is on wader size. When I look online I see waders one size 7-14 is this correlated to shoe size? Iím a big guy 6í3 250lbs so I want to make sure I get some that fit.
    Whatís your budget on waders? A good pair of waders is gonna be more than your gear budget, but you could probably get some FrogTogs or redheads for under $100. If youíre in Charlotte, Iíd go to Orvis or Bass Pro and just try some on for size to get an idea, then order online if you need to. Then youíre gonna need boots...so, cost can add up.
    You said ďoccasional ď trips to fish for trout. So take that into consideration. If youíre gonna fish for bass primarily, then I would say a 5wt at the minimum, and a 6wt might make more sense to do both. Btw, if you have a,loaded bass pond in Charlotte, then I can really help you out! Haha.
    Iím Just speculating from what you said here...but if youíre not completely sure youíre all in on the sport, you could wait till next summer, when you donít need the cold weather gear (waders), then go from there.

im in Charlotte, and would be glad to talk to you about this stuff if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bonz View Post
    Whatís your budget on waders? A good pair of waders is gonna be more than your gear budget, but you could probably get some FrogTogs or redheads for under $100. If youíre in Charlotte, Iíd go to Orvis or Bass Pro and just try some on for size to get an idea, then order online if you need to. Then youíre gonna need boots...so, cost can add up.
    You said ďoccasional ď trips to fish for trout. So take that into consideration. If youíre gonna fish for bass primarily, then I would say a 5wt at the minimum, and a 6wt might make more sense to do both. Btw, if you have a,loaded bass pond in Charlotte, then I can really help you out! Haha.
    Iím Just speculating from what you said here...but if youíre not completely sure youíre all in on the sport, you could wait till next summer, when you donít need the cold weather gear (waders), then go from there.

im in Charlotte, and would be glad to talk to you about this stuff if you want.
    Thanks for the lovely advice, I'd say I was hoping to keep waders under 100$ but also would want them to last me a season or two while I see if I like the sport.

I love trout fishing already with spinning gear and with a decent fly set up I could see myself motivated to taking 15+ trips a year. I'm not sure if that would qualify as "occasional" still but nothing too serious so for that reason I wouldn't want to break the bank.

I actually think I'm going to forget about the bass idea, I primarily fish out of a sit in kayak locally and have read online that sitting while throwing a fly is not a good method.

I'm currently in college and only working part time whilst going to school so my budget is tight but I can also buy things over time if I find a love for the sport. I'm planning on getting the rod and some flys first then maybe finding some bank spots before going in on a set of waders.

Thanks for the lovely advice, I'd say I was hoping to keep waders under 100$ but also would want them to last me a season or two while I see if I like the sport.

I love trout fishing already with spinning gear and with a decent fly set up I could see myself motivated to taking 15+ trips a year. I'm not sure if that would qualify as "occasional" still but nothing too serious so for that reason I wouldn't want to break the bank.

I actually think I'm going to forget about the bass idea, I primarily fish out of a sit in kayak locally and have read online that sitting while throwing a fly is not a good method.

I'm currently in college and only working part time whilst going to school so my budget is tight but I can also buy things over time if I find a love for the sport. I'm planning on getting the rod and some flys first then maybe finding some bank spots before going in on a set of waders.
    I'm a big guy and I fly fish from my kayak all the time. I catch a lot of Bass as well as Bream, Pickerel, Bowfin,Stripers,White Bass and Crappie. If you take time to get to know your kayak,Fly fishing from one is not difficult. Fly Fishing from a Kayak often is a very stealthy approach that lets you get into spaces where a traditional bass boat may not be able to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Duck View Post

I'm a big guy and I fly fish from my kayak all the time. I catch a lot of Bass as well as Bream, Pickerel, Bowfin,Stripers,White Bass and Crappie. If you take time to get to know your kayak,Fly fishing from one is not difficult. Fly Fishing from a Kayak often is a very stealthy approach that lets you get into spaces where a traditional bass boat may not be able to get to.
    Are you able to do it sitting down? That’s big issue for me due to the fact I fish out of a sit in kayak so there’s no way for me to stand if I needed to. If so I'd love to get a wt recommendation, I want to find a versatile rod that'd work for smaller bass and trout.

Mainly using smaller flies nothing huge

Are you able to do it sitting down? Thatís big issue for me due to the fact I fish out of a sit in kayak so thereís no way for me to stand if I needed to. If so I'd love to get a wt recommendation, I want to find a versatile rod that'd work for smaller bass and trout.

Mainly using smaller flies nothing huge
    I do 99% of my fishing sitting down. I do fish out of a SOT boat though. You would be siting a little lower in a Sit in, But you can make adjustments to you cast and you should have no issues.

A 9ft 5wt will be your best bet.

What do you guys think of some of these combos I found on amazon for under 100$?

Here's the links

NetAngler Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo

Sougayilang Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combo

Wild Water Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo

I would look at a Redington combo in that price range. You wont get the fly box or nippers or any of that stuff,but you will get a better quality rod/reel

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast