Anyone good at estimating fish length from a photo?

Thread: Anyone good at estimating fish length from a photo?

Default Anyone good at estimating fish length from a photo?

With the real crappy weather, I got a hall pass. Wife had a great idea of taking the kid and a friend to see Frozen 2, so I got a late start and headed west. Knew I only had a few hours to fish, wanting to get back to Crown Town by 7p.

The weather was frightful to say the least. Exactly what I was wanting, taking a page from the @Dylar playbook. Crap weather equals, few people and fat fish wanting to eat. This one, scared the $hit outa me when he attacked my streamer about 5 feet from me. But he missed... Had my heart pounding. Drug the Nancy P, through the same zone a few more times, and he attacked it again.
    The only fish I saw all day. Water kept rising, and the leaves started to be more of a problem so I tapped out. Still, totally worth the effort for those few minutes.

Not the hugest fish, but it was solid. Thicker than long...real thick. He flopped and got line wrapped around his head while in the net, so I ended up cutting my fly off and getting him back in the water ASAP and not bothering taking a better picture. Iím trying to guess at how long he was...itís hard from the photo. I do know that the fly laying on top of him is about 5Ē long. Iím guessing he is around 18Ē. But who knows. Good day, and a treacherous drive home. Just glad the Good Lord got me here safely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	A3C268BC-F050-433A-B981-83074C8AAE58.jpg‎†
Views:	162†
Size:	134.7 KB†
ID:	196233Click image for larger version.†

Name:	5A3C33FF-97B0-4BA6-9A7E-58678F7B4C5D.jpg‎†
Views:	160†
Size:	95.5 KB†
ID:	196235
    badankles likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How big is the opening on your net? Go measure the opening of the net from top to bottom of the frame. That should give you a pretty close estimate on how big the fish is. you could also measure the fly ad eyeball a guess from the fly size as well. I'd say 16-19 would be a safe guess.

Frame is 15 1/2 long, net is about 10” deep.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

17" seems close.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to know how big your fish are, bring a tape. No matter how many people you ask, you're never gonna get an answer you can be confident in. People waste hours of time doing this on facebook pages. Nonetheless, an absolutely beautiful fish!

Considering thereís been one fish photo posted since September, and the front page of this forums oldest thread was 5 months ago, I doubt Iím wasting anyoneís time. Unless you think Iím wasting hours of my own, which Iím not. Just trying to provide some content to this dying forum.
    Iím not that interested in how long that fish was. My 5wt has 12Ē and 20Ē painted on the blank(this was on my 7wt). And now that I know the length of my net, Iíll have that too.
    cheers

Yeah my point wasnít that youíre wasting my or anyone elseís time. Your subject line led me to believe you cared about determining the length of the fish. I suppose I misunderstood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by basswrangler View Post
    Yeah my point wasnít that youíre wasting my or anyone elseís time. Your subject line led me to believe you cared about determining the length of the fish. I suppose I misunderstood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just curious, not that important. I actually went to measure with my rod, and realized the Orvis rod didnít have that nifty feature. Thatís what got me thinking/guessing.

that's a beauty. looks like a big spawning hen. probably gave you a good jump or two along with a good fight.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements