NC Angler Forums banner

Anyone good at estimating fish length from a photo?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  senatordan 
#1 ·
With the real crappy weather, I got a hall pass. Wife had a great idea of taking the kid and a friend to see Frozen 2, so I got a late start and headed west. Knew I only had a few hours to fish, wanting to get back to Crown Town by 7p.

The weather was frightful to say the least. Exactly what I was wanting, taking a page from the [MENTION=17958]Dylar[/MENTION] playbook. Crap weather equals, few people and fat fish wanting to eat. This one, scared the $hit outa me when he attacked my streamer about 5 feet from me. But he missed... Had my heart pounding. Drug the Nancy P, through the same zone a few more times, and he attacked it again.
The only fish I saw all day. Water kept rising, and the leaves started to be more of a problem so I tapped out. Still, totally worth the effort for those few minutes.

Not the hugest fish, but it was solid. Thicker than long...real thick. He flopped and got line wrapped around his head while in the net, so I ended up cutting my fly off and getting him back in the water ASAP and not bothering taking a better picture. I’m trying to guess at how long he was...it’s hard from the photo. I do know that the fly laying on top of him is about 5” long. I’m guessing he is around 18”. But who knows. Good day, and a treacherous drive home. Just glad the Good Lord got me here safely.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How big is the opening on your net? Go measure the opening of the net from top to bottom of the frame. That should give you a pretty close estimate on how big the fish is. you could also measure the fly ad eyeball a guess from the fly size as well. I'd say 16-19 would be a safe guess.

#5 ·
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to know how big your fish are, bring a tape. No matter how many people you ask, you're never gonna get an answer you can be confident in. People waste hours of time doing this on facebook pages. Nonetheless, an absolutely beautiful fish!

#6 ·
Considering there’s been one fish photo posted since September, and the front page of this forums oldest thread was 5 months ago, I doubt I’m wasting anyone’s time. Unless you think I’m wasting hours of my own, which I’m not. Just trying to provide some content to this dying forum.
I’m not that interested in how long that fish was. My 5wt has 12” and 20” painted on the blank(this was on my 7wt). And now that I know the length of my net, I’ll have that too.
cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.