Lake Lake Santeetlah - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Santeetlah

Here's some of the hoochie stuff I've been working with and some Father Murphy mini dodgers I'm partial to. I've done OK with some bigger flashers but the Father Murphy mini dodgers are very light. I think that're made of aluminum. They have so very little sink that I really like them in shallow Chilhowee Lake. Other, heavier, flashers have worked there but I get snagged more with them. I use beads to space the hooks the way I want them. I'll use 2-4 beads on bigger skirts. I use just one with small skirts.

Are you putting a whole crawler on the hoochies? I usually use about 1-2 inches of crawler on the front hook. I'll put bigger pieces on sometimes if I'm someplace other than Chilhowee. Chilhowee is over-run with Perch sine the draw-down for dam repairs. A whole crawler gets shredded quick in Chilhowee by Perch nibbles. In another year or two the big predator fish and fishermen will thin out the Perch surplus there.

I've caught more Bass on the bigger hoochies, so far. Trout have hit the little ones regardless of size, it seems. I've caught my two biggest Trout, both over 5 pounds, out of Chilhowee on the small, purple splatter hoochies with a tiny piece of crawler. Both of 'em bit the back hook off the hoochies while we were getting the hooks out of 'em. The only lake I've not done very well with hoochies is Watauga. The fish there seem to be looking for minnows. Next spring I might try hoochies closer to the banks whilst the Rainbows are still shallow.

I'm gonna look into those VCM trebles you were on about. I've been think about trying treble hooks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg‎ 
Views:	41 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	196319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg‎ 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	196321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg‎ 
Views:	37 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	196323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg‎ 
Views:	37 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	196325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg‎ 
Views:	36 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	196327  
    rascals dad likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing what you've been using. As for myself.....I've been using Seps Sidekick Dodgers.....a smaller dodger like the Father Murphy ones you use. I also use the Seps Micro Mini Flashers ahead of a Wedding Ring. This is particularly useful in the summer when I need to get deep with minimal drag. As for Crawlers....I use just a 2-3 inch piece. I let the Trout tell me what they want and i am set up to change quickly. I never run more than three lines and usually just two. This last trip, once I located a school of nice trout........I was getting slammed on almost every pass. On one pass, I had two large Trout on....in 15-25 mph wind gusts.....it was both exciting and terrifying.....trying to manage the boat (close to rocks) and two Live rods at once. I try to keep things as simple as possible when I am alone. I managed to land both trout and keep the boat off the rocks......but, I needed to sit for a minute afterwards in the middle of the lake.

I have marked several schools of fish on Santeetlah this year and look forward to working them in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, the Trout were very active again in November.....and I expect more of the same in December. I enjoy having the lake mostly to myself. The only secret is to be Prepared and have the Proper Gear. Cheers!....D

Name:	35800.jpg‎ 
Views:	120 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	196329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22100.jpg‎ 
Views:	111 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	196331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rainbow18.jpg‎ 
Views:	111 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	196333  
    gambusia, and Troutgirl like this.

I've used Sep's stuff. I use their chain swivels. I have used those little, Mini-Micro attractors. The last time I used them they twisted my line up when I got weeds on the rig. Soon thereafter I tried Mack's Flash Lite Trolls with the plastic blades. The first time was at Santeetlah. I was pulling a night crawler on a single hook behind the four blade size. I caught a 19" Rainbow that took the entire troll air born on a jump. Before that, using trolls with metal blades, when Rainbows jumped they couldn't lift the metal blades all the way out of the water. The troll would come out part way and the Rainbow would do a sort of low, barrel roll jump. I'm not sure the Flash Lite rigs attract better than metal blades but I like the catching on 'em better.

I use other dodgers and flashers besides the Father Murphy ones. I like Father Murphy in Chilhowee because of how light they are. They don't drag my depth down beyond what I'm trying for with the amount of lead-core line I have out. The Crystal Basin dodgers that are very similar to the Sep's have worked well for me. I also have Sling Blades and Double D flashers. I've caught fish using all of them. I have not formulated strong preferences about the lot of 'em yet.

Are you putting about half of a crawler on those Wedding Ring spinners? I had a couple of 'em but I snagged 'em and lost 'em in Chilhowee. I was putting a half on them when I was fishing 'em. I never have acquired anymore of 'em. I've done pretty well running whole crawlers on a single hook behind Flash Lite blades or 4-5" flashers. I might try them again, anywhere but Chilhowee where the Perch would beat the Rainbows to 'em far too often! In a year or two the big predator fish will beat back the Perch and things will get back to normal.

I wish I had fished yesterday or today but I had things keeping me home and my brother had to work. Next week looks terrible to fish, comfortably. Yesterday I heard that Watauga has "turned-over". The surface temp was 53 yesterday. The fish are back up in the top 50 feet again. A friend caught a 26" Laker and now I wanna go there too! I sure would like a toasty, warm Christmas season so I can give myself the gift of fishing...hopefully without needing gloves and wool shirts....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Artisanthe View Post
    …..I use a 5 ft leader and replace the single hooks with a VMC Sureset #8 treble. This particular treble has one longer hook...that gets tipped with a crawler. The hookup ratio is greatly improved....
    I ordered 8 of those trebles today from Jan's. I'm gonna make some hoochies with 'em. Thanks for the tip!
    Artisanthe likes this.

I have an order on the way from Jann's as well (Hooks and Skirts). After i get it (Friday).....I'll post the entire rig. The other Very Important part that I haven't discussed yet.....is the Luhr Jensen trolling rudder. They're very common.....especially in Great Lakes fishing rigs. I add a snap swivel to the back.....and to the hole on the bottom with split rings. This gets attached to the Lead Core.....and allows me to quickly change lures and weights. I add various weights from a half ounce to three ounces as a drop from the rudder. This lets me do away with Dipsey's and I easily reach 50 ft without a Downrigger. It acts like a 'bouncer" over surprise humps (like Santeetlah is Full of). It also Simplifies my rigs. The less working parts in the boat....the less fumbling around....the Better for me!

As for the Wedding Rings.....I generally find the Trout almost always have a Preference.....either Spinners and Spoons or Wigglers and Rapalas. I use the Wiggle Hoochies and Wedding Rings to find out what is happening....and then fine tune from there. I look forward to hearing how others do. I hope and expect the trout to be in a stable pattern for the winter. The lakes with Shad are getting into a predictable state and blade baits and jigs should be productive....Good Fishing!....D

Name:	luhr-jensen-les-davis-plastic-trolling-rudders-2pk-2.jpg‎ 
Views:	102 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	196337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31B5bdFl3BL.jpg‎ 
Views:	109 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	196339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67844654_1457994001015278_7369890977714012160_n.jpg‎ 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	196341  

Are you tipping the wedding ring with crawler? I have yet to run one here in North Carolina. Ive used them as part of an umbrella rig on the great lakes. They were a great coho rig, rear rook tied with Marabou and Crystal flash...

Yes.....and I generally prefer the Double Whammy (double hook) version. Again.....I run them behind the Seps Mini Micro Flashers and behind the Trolling Rudder. In the Summer, the Spinners were productive deep. On my last trip......it was All about the Wiggle....D

All I’m saying is any of y’all with more experience than me has an open invitation on my boat if your willing to share some knowledge with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan.....I'll be up there between Christmas and New Years. I've fished streams for trout for the last 40 years.....I'm still learning how to Troll in the Lakes. If you're out....flag me down and we'll chat. I've shared a Lot of what has worked for me. I should be on Santeetlah a couple of days.....17 ft Camo Triton.....I'll be poking along about 1.5 mph. You can't miss the white beard.....Cheers....D

Name:	Greenfish3.jpg‎ 
Views:	97 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	196343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5301366.jpg‎ 
Views:	100 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	196345  

I'm local, always happy to help...although I've only been here a few years.... I've had good luck adjusting and tweaking what I know from 20 years of fishing Lake Michigan and Superior. Reading through these posts can make your head spin.
    I may not be as knowledgeable as some of the folks on this thread, it's a constant learning curve. I fish a couple days a week. You are always welcome to send me a message for current water temps, bait and fish locations. I don't post as much as I used to, but I really love threads like this one. This single thread is packed with an unbelievable amount of knowledge. Troutgirl and a couple others helped a lot when I first started fishing here. Soak up everything you can from them.

Work keeps my pretty tied up as of late but planning on being on a lake December 22nd and possibly New Year’s Day. I’ve got a dark red princecraft v-hull with full windshield. Do the same if you see me

Great thread yall Read through a couple of times taking notes. Building up my trout trolling gear. I have not done much trolling for trout, but did go with a bud a few times up north. Do the Trout in lakes in WNC not go for small crank baits like rapalas etc.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Great thread yall Read through a couple of times taking notes. Building up my trout trolling gear. I have not done much trolling for trout, but did go with a bud a few times up north. Do the Trout in lakes in WNC not go for small crank baits like rapalas etc.. ?
    Crank baits work. And not always small ones I’ve caught a couple fish in the 10” range on 4” baits but most bait they have been eating is 1”-2”

gambusia, and LIVIT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Browns will readily hit larger lures than Rainbows on average. Big Rainbows will hit larger plugs occasionally but they'll more readily hit the smallest plugs. The smallest size Raplala Rap Plug is really good. The smallest size is 4. The size is the number of centimeters long, about 1.5". There is 2.54 centimeters in an inch. I like the one with a purple back. Berkley's sizes are also the length in centimeters. I like the size 5 Flicker Shad for Rainbows. I also get a lot of strikes on the two smallest sizes of Rebel's Crawfish Plugs. Browns seem particularly partial to Crayfish. I found 3 of 'em in a Calderwood Brown once and have seen pairs of 'em in Browns many times.

For Rainbows it pays to keep plugs at 2.5" or less.
    gambusia, and LIVIT like this.

The Sportsmans Warehouse in Ashevlille has some trolling combos by Okuma for about 80 dollars that look like they should work for trout.

Anybody use inline trolling sinkers for trout?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast