Lake Lake Santeetlah - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lake Santeetlah

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    Any tips on making hoochies? Thanks
    Watch some videos on YouTube there are a ton of videos on how to tie them slip on a couple beads and a skirt your done.

You can use beads to add weight or you can get floating beads to make them lighter or neutral in the water.

Donít over look Craft stores all my beads come from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gambusia likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You can use the bead/s to space where you want the hooks to be. For Kokanee (1.5" skirts) sized hoochies I use one or two small beads. For the two inch skirts, I've been using two to four beads, depending on bead size. With the longer skirts, you're gonna want the hook/s to be a bit farther back. If you make a hoochie as a whole night crawler rig, you'll want to go with 3-4 beads to space the hooks back.

I vary my leader lengths between 2-3.5 feet. I'm undecided about what's optimum. When I finish a hoochie I put a split ring on the leader so I can easily move it from one flasher to another without losing leader length. I've made two hoochies recently where I substituted a chain swivel for the split ring. I have not used either, yet.

Be careful when you snip off the head of the hoochie for the wiggle lip. It's easy to cut it off too far so that it won't snug up on the wiggle lip. Every time you cut try to err on the side of not quite enough. Some skirts stretch more than others.

If one has little experience with hoochies buy 1 or 2 Crystal Basin Hoochie Things. The Green and Purple Splatter colors have worked well for me. Buy at least one just to examine it and use it....just add a split ring to the leader. Kokanee Tackle's .com has 'em on sale for $3.99 presently. If I wasn't making hoochies I'd stock up. I still buy a few ready to go hoochies from time to time if I see a color that grabs me and hopefully the fish too.
    gambusia likes this.

Ö..Anybody use inline trolling sinkers for trout?
    I tried that about 10 years ago. I didn't like it. I didn't know how deep I was getting. I also thought that the weight was hurting the lure's action, probably. I have seen something that's a bit akin, clip-on the line weights. I saw it on a Kokanee fishing show. The angler, who had a counter reel, put out the desired amount of line. When he was close to getting the line out, he clipped the weight onto the line and released the rest of the line. When you catch one, you take the weight off when you retrieve to it. It's about like taking a planar board off when you have a fish on. The weights come in multiple sizes. I've seen 'em sold in sets. Still, you don't know exactly how deep you're getting but you can switch sizes easily.
    gambusia likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Sportsmans Warehouse in Ashevlille has some trolling combos by Okuma for about 80 dollars that look like they should work for trout.

Anybody use inline trolling sinkers for trout?

I work part time at this great store. They for sure have a very large fishing department that is growing constantly. I am a big fan of Okuma reels. I have not had a chance to checkout those combos yet. But will do so Monday. If your in store say Hi, I normally am in the Gun or Archery Depts. Dale
    gambusia likes this.

I use inline sinkers all the time--generally I use rubber core twist on sinkers as they make them from 1/16oz to 3 oz--make sure they are straight and 3-4' above the lure and they will never affect the action. this allows you to change weights quickly. i have a bunch of each size. I spray paint all my sinkers flat black also.

okuma line counter combo's are great but make sure for our appalachian reservoir trout you buy med light or buy them separate--their med are too heavy except for leadcore trolling. Personally, i like fiberglass rods for trolling. My downrigger rods are $29 kokanee rods in 7'6''- they are awesome with a garcia 5500 linecounter. my side rods are all 8'-8'6'' light to med-lt action with garcia 6500 line counters--which are great for a spread even if i don't use in-line planer boards (church tx 6 & 12's).

best of luck to all and happy holidays
    i'll be on lake apalachia and lake hiwassie 1/2-1/6 and can't wait--18' lowe walk-thru windshield with FL reg.--say hey if you are around

coach
    gambusia likes this.

I ordered some Shimano medium rods at one point but they seemed too heavy for our trout and walleye.

So I found an Okuma medium light. Much lighter and flexible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg‎†
Views:	39†
Size:	93.5 KB†
ID:	196369Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg‎†
Views:	32†
Size:	99.7 KB†
ID:	196371

I checked out those Okuma outfits that Gambusia mentioned. For the price, they seemed to be alright. The line counter on reel worked nicely. Reel had a little slop in gearing, but not enough to be of concern. I liked the rods. Plan on getting a couple myself.
    gambusia likes this.

Not sure but I think they also have just the rods for sale in addition to the combos

I have not used the Okuma's. I use Daiwa Accudepth Reels on ML two piece Ugly Stik rods. I prefer the two piece rods because they stow away easily and Ugly Stiks are Very Durable and inexpensive. As I have said earlier....I like things Simple! I use 12 lb Lead Core line and Luhr Jensen trolling rudders....which allow me to add weight for deep trolling and prevent line twist when using spinners and flashers. I have Dipsey Divers on board....but seldom need them.

The Mailman delivered a fresh batch of Hoochie Bills and Skirts. The Firetiger skirt on the left was the top producer last trip. I only had two and lost them both to fish. This trip......I will have more back-up. I look forward to testing the new colors and larger profiles on the Trout. Good Luck to All....D

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Custom Hoochies.jpg‎†
Views:	84†
Size:	71.3 KB†
ID:	196375
    LIVIT, and Troutgirl like this.

everyone's budget is different -over the last few years i upgraded all of my line counters from the inexpensive okumas to garcia 5500, 6500 linecounters ($135 ish) and the okuma coldwater low profile linecounter ($120 ebay)---i got about 15 of em but i did 2-3 a year (birthday, fathers day and x-mas)

line counters are a must for my fishing, so i started at a lower price point 20 years ago and have swapped out all of them now.

happy holidays

coach
    LIVIT likes this.

Not sure but I think they also have just the rods for sale in addition to the combos
    You are correct. That rod paired with the Okuma Coldwater low profile with line counter IMO would be an excellent outfit as RI RORYL mentioned. That Okuma reel is very smooth, with no slop at all.

The cheaper Okuna Magda reels would suffice for most but it's just very annoying how easy it is to accidentally hit the counter button and reset it to zero. The counters of the Coldwater reels are better situated and harder to accidentally reset. Eagle Claw makes a 7 1/2 foot Kokanee trolling rod that makes a good ultra light rod for Trout and will pair well with any of the small Okuna linecounters. You can get one for around $30. It has a very light tip and some may prefer a heavier rod, especially if they wanted to fish plugs sometimes.

If one wants to do a lead-core outfit, the Coldwater 303D and 453D are great choices. The 303D will hold a many as 6 colors of lead line and the 453D will hold ten colors. That capacity presumes some backing and leaders of 50-100 feet. I use 12 pound lead-core on my 303D. I use 18 pound lead on my 453D. I fish Watauga deep with big plugs with the 453D. If one was getting a 303D to fish hoochies on lead line, it pairs up really well with their Deadeye Trolling rods that you can get in 7 and 7 1/2 feet for about $40. The 7 footer only comes in one piece. The 7 1/2 long ones comes in one and two piece models. These rods have soft tips so you can feel soft Walleye strikes....and that translates well for hoochie fishing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisanthe View Post
    I have not used the Okuma's. I use Daiwa Accudepth Reels on ML two piece Ugly Stik rods. I prefer the two piece rods because they stow away easily and Ugly Stiks are Very Durable and inexpensive. As I have said earlier....I like things Simple! I use 12 lb Lead Core line and Luhr Jensen trolling rudders....which allow me to add weight for deep trolling and prevent line twist when using spinners and flashers. I have Dipsey Divers on board....but seldom need them.

The Mailman delivered a fresh batch of Hoochie Bills and Skirts. The Firetiger skirt on the left was the top producer last trip. I only had two and lost them both to fish. This trip......I will have more back-up. I look forward to testing the new colors and larger profiles on the Trout. Good Luck to All....D
    I'm gonna try some of those hoochie colors. Thanks for posting!

....oh, the Deadeye rods also come in 7 foot, one piece.

for inexpensive rods that are perfect for this type of trolling--check out the 7' ugly stick striper rods in med-light--$39

good fishin and happy holidays

coach

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123