Speckled Trout from the surf ... looking for help.

Thread: Speckled Trout from the surf ... looking for help.

Default Speckled Trout from the surf ... looking for help.

The vast majority of info. I see on speckled trout fishing has to do with inshore, creeks, boats etc .... I really haven't been able to find much in the way of how to fish for them in the surf from the beach.

I've caught a handful the last few days but I don't see much rhyme or reason to it. One on a gold Hopkins spoon, three on white curly tails and one on a bottom rig with shrimp. I've tried throwing a 51 series Mirrolure ... no luck with specks but I did catch a nice bluefish.

Anyhow. If anyone can help me with some basic info. I'd appreciate it. Do they prefer smooth or rough water? Should I be fishing near the bottom? Near the surface? Are they found in the breakers ... should I throw lures as far as possible?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Little Bridge on the Nags Head/Manteo causeway is a good spot. Trout are also caught in the nearshore areas on OBX piers, but I’ve caught a few off the end of piers too. Usually just vertical jigging from the bottom to a foot or two off the bottom.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this.....https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmag...h-twitchbaits-

Went surf Trout fishing this morning landed 15, lost a few, kept a few 3 around 2.5#, released the rest.
    I fish a 9' steelhead rod with a very limber tip & back bone to land a Red.
    3000 series reel spooled with 10# Syder wire invis a braid. 20 or 15# fluorocarbon leader about 5' long.
    Like a long rod to get distance & stay above the waves. Guy next to me was using 7' rod.

MirrOlure TT's, Catch 2000, Catch 5, MR27. Tried topwaters & Paul Brown fatboy ( no takers ).
    1/4 or 3/8 oz. jighead with soft plastic was working for some. I stuck with MirrOlures.

Trout can be finicky about colors. Change color often when on a bite.
    First light & night = purple demon / black . Bright day = bright or light colors.

MirrOlure basics = placement of the front ring = 51 nose runs shallow. 52 & TT behind the head run deep.
    MR 17 shallow / MR 18 deeper / MR27 shallow bigger XL profile .

Use your feet to find fish + stay mobile ( I just created an oxymoron ) keep moving.
    Learn to read the beach is another entirely different learning experience.....

Hope this helps..........ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I appreciate the replies. Threw an 808 mirrolure this evening ... no luck. I've never really focused on speckled trout before ... they were always a by-product of fishing for flounder in the surf. Now that I'm trying to target them, I find I don't really know how to fish for them.

As for the mirrolure, do you prefer to let it sink/drift and twitch once in a while or do you give it more of a steady retrieve/twitch?

Cast out up current, let it sink, small slight twitch, reel in the slack slowly.......ICM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191127_063126.jpg‎ 
Views:	195 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	196255  
    Saltwater Republic, and zebralips like this.

There is definitely a tidal factor in surf trout fishing. It's not just early morning and late evening bites. I usually have my best luck on a falling tide. During the day I will usually throw soft plastic baits on as light of a jighead as possible. If the surf is 3ft or less you can usually get away with 1/8th ounce. 8lb braid will get it out there and a light/ultralight 7ft rod will keep them on. Use a 12-15lb clear mono or flouro leader. No swivels! White and green have always been great grub colors. White being my favorite. Make sure to try different retrieval speeds/cadences before giving up on a spot... If u don't get a bump within 10mins move... Recon spots at low tide to look for points/edges/ditches that might hold fish. Also murky water doesn't usually produce in the surf... Try the mirrolure thing at night. Have fun. Ive lived on the Outer Banks my entire life and this is and has always been my favorite type of fishing.

Thanks for the tips. These trout are turning into my "fish of a thousand casts"...

North side of surf fishing piers usually have a nice hole in the surf zone. Really the north side of anything that sticks out in the water will have a nice hole. Usually not a bad place to try for surf trout.

Default Speckled Trout from the surf ... looking for help.

How long will they stick around? I know it’s weather dependent but with a “normal” year at Emerald Isle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check this out .......Great work Richard G. you da man......ICM
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3051204708432779

Well ... I got a couple of flounder on red head 52m and a mystery missed strike. Vacation's over and I'll have to try for them again in the summer. Thanks to everyone for the help.

It did seem like the 52 series stayed down better than the 51 (like a lipless crankbait). When the 51's were twitched, they'd glide up towards the surface and then have to sink again (maybe that's what you want?).

I'm wondering if a different rod would help me send them further (I'll start another thread). I did see a guy really sending them in the surf, but never go the chance to ask him what rod he was using. Thx again.

51 is a shallow runner / 52 sinker..... ICM

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements