NC Angler Forums banner

Which braid ?

7K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  gambusia 
#1 ·
I am setting up 2 new flat rods for wading or fishing from my CC. In past I have been using 12-15lb mono. Tried braid when it first came out and hated it.

Numerous reviews suggest KastKing braid, but upon reading actual buyers reviews, many complained about the color fading or worse yet, it staining and even making a sticky mess out of reels and guides.

The prices vary so much, that I am skeptical on the lower priced products, like KastKing. I have no problem spending the monies to get the best for the money product.

Rods are 7' medium and medium heavy fast taper. Great for casting plastics, mirror lures etc...

What is your favorite and why please, tks in advance.

#5 ·
Once I get moved to SC coast I will probably be fishing at least 2 times a week, probably more and year round. Putting break offs etc.. aside. What is the usage time I can expect from braid. I am use to buying a 1,000 yd spool of good mono for around $25, but I end up changing line at least 3 times a year. Does braid last a lot longer ? I am looking at $100 for 1500 yds. of braid.

#7 ·
If you store braid out of the weather, it will easily last multiple seasons. You can also reverse it on the spool to get more life. I personally do not like the slick versions, knots do not perform as well. I use PowerPro and Fins, pretty much the same.

Where you moving to in SC? Just got a flats skiff and plan to get down that way, may even relocate there if things do not shape up here in NC. Really like the looks of the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge and have fished the Isle of Palms area.

#9 ·
Tks, knots for braid was going to be my next question and research. Doubt things are going to shape up with the crooks in NC. I am looking and my best bud who lives south of Myrtle is looking too, for a place for me inshore a bit, between Myrtle and Georgetown. I want to be within 45 mins or so of the Winyah bay area. My CC is a great flats and bay boat. Plus that area is a lot like the area I am from originally in Fl (Mosquito Lagoon) let me know if ya move or want to join us fishing down there.

#10 ·
Tks, what knots are you using. I think it was spider wire I tried when it first came out. It destroyed the fuji guides on 3 rods and messed up the bails line guide/roller on 3 high dollar bait runners. It was very abrasive. Needless to say, but I was not happy ! I have never wanted to try it since. But have been reading that its much better now.

#12 ·
I like Power Pro, I just got some Fins and it seems good to. The slick and Nanofill work good in the lighter lines for really long casts. I do not worry about color, but it is good to have different colors if you are trolling and tangle. It is also good to work finesse baits with a color you can see well against the water.

Darrell

#13 ·
Darrell, you and I have not had to many probs with tangling up when we are trolling with 6-8 rods. It was the fishes fault not ours :) I still chuckle when I think about that last one, multiple lines tangled, main line wrapped on motor and we still landed that beast! Thats a great idea bud, different colors to help untangle and then a good vis for finesse fishing the flats for trout and reds.

#14 ·
Daiwa Samurai for me. Super thin, casts long. Well behaved. I'm not a fan of their cheaper line the J-Braid, though a lot of guys do like it a lot. There's a learning curve with braid that starts with learning to habitually check your line on every cast to ensure you don't get a spool knot. (They aren't wind knots, they're fisherman knots.) For knots, I'm a complete total convert to the FG knot for attaching leader to braid-- but it is a time consuming knot that some fishermen have difficulty learning. For starters try the good old double uni knot or reverse Albright. Both are good enough when tied correctly. Longevity depends on how hard you fish it and where, but most of the leading braids will give you several seasons of use.

#16 ·
Tks guys, appreciate the inputs. I have decided to try a couple of the suggested brands and see which works for me. Nice to hear about the longevity. I normally change out my mono at least 3 times a year. So braid in the long run is going to be less expensive for me. Dale

#17 ·
I have been using Kast King for the past couple of years with no problems. With braid, every couple of years take the line off, make the top of the line on the bottom of the spool so the bottom becomes the top. Every braid I have used faded, so don’t let that part bother you.

Everyone has his/her favorite line... looks like now you have to figure out what yours is/are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I have been using Kast King for the past couple of years with no problems. With braid, every couple of years take the line off, make the top of the line on the bottom of the spool so the bottom becomes the top. Every braid I have used faded, so don’t let that part bother you.

Everyone has his/her favorite line... looks like now you have to figure out what yours is/are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Scott, tks for the input bud. My friend in SC swears by KastKing braid and he fishes saltwater 2-3 times a week normally. I read some reviews on KK about the dye on it gumming up reels and guides. My bud said he runs his through a damp rag while spooling it. Have you run into any issues with it gumming things up ?

I have decided to try numerous brands, KK being one of them. The cost of it is sure attractive. I am someone who does not mind spending xtra monies if I am truly going to get better results. For sure a lot of options, but I am for sure going to try all the brands that have been suggested to me. I will eventually post a braid test results and knots for braids.

Tks again to all who have helped me pick several options to try. Tight lines :)

#21 ·
Most braid does not cast like mono, the "smooth, slick" ones cast better than mono and give a greater distance in my opinion, but tangles are harder to pick out!! The old style Fins and Power Pro do not cast the same and make more noise. Big braids in the 30 and up size are really noisy. But braid is the best thing to happen to fishing line since mono came out in my opinion. Take a cotter pin and file the long side to a fine point, then smooth it so that it still has a good point but is slightly rounded and will not cut your line. stick it in a piece of tubing and keep it on a lanyard or in the tackle box. You can spread it out and use it to pick out tangles in braid then fold it back together and stick it in the tubing and it will not cause any problems in the box till you need it again. Or better yet I will bring you one next time we fish.

Darrell

#24 ·
I was in the same boat (ha) a couple years ago. I tried pretty much every brand of braid I could get my hands on. The best by far is Suffix 832. Super Slick V2 is a close second but I've had issues with knots slipping. I use an FG knot to a tie a 7' section of leader line so when I have to retie I only have to tie the lure/jig head/hook and with super slick I can't get the FG to hold. Suffix will have my business as long as they keep making 832, and probably longer.

#25 ·
I've had good luck (so far) with Daiwa J-8x (10, 15, 20, 30 lbs.), standard Power Pro (10, 15, 30 lbs.), and Power Pro Super-Slick V2 (10 lbs.). My only problem with braid with with the 15 lbs. Daiwa Samurai - it knotted up like crazy on me - could have been the reel (Penn SSV 3500) - I switched to PPSSV2 on that reel and have had no issues at all since. OH

#26 ·
OH: That's interesting. I've got Daiwa Samurai 15# on three reels (two Daiwa, one Shimano) and I've got Samurai 20#, 30# and 55# (I think) on other reels, all Shimano and Daiwa. Absolutely no problems, and I love the stuff. On the other hand, my two tries with Daiwa J-8X were both catastrophes, both on Daiwa reels.
So I'm guessing that the likely causes are:
Some lines just go better with some reels / line lay
How it was spooled / not tight enough or over spooled
Operator error. I'm pretty experienced with braid and I think very proficient and careful, but can't rule that out.

#27 ·
Bmac, I’m guessing the Penn Spinfisher V 3500 reel just wouldn’t work with the 15 lbs. Samurai. Both lines (initially 15 lbs. Samurai and replacement 10 lbs. PP Super Slick V2) were spooled at Neuse in Cedar Point - the guys seem to do a good job, I’ve had no line problems with anything else they’ve spooled. Other folks have no issue with Samurai - so my conclusion is simply wrong combination. I have standard PP and J8x on Daiwa BG 2500, 3000, & 4000 reels - either line seem to work equally well on the reels. OH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.