Which braid ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which braid ?

Default Which braid ?

I am setting up 2 new flat rods for wading or fishing from my CC. In past I have been using 12-15lb mono. Tried braid when it first came out and hated it.

Numerous reviews suggest KastKing braid, but upon reading actual buyers reviews, many complained about the color fading or worse yet, it staining and even making a sticky mess out of reels and guides.

The prices vary so much, that I am skeptical on the lower priced products, like KastKing. I have no problem spending the monies to get the best for the money product.

Rods are 7' medium and medium heavy fast taper. Great for casting plastics, mirror lures etc...

What is your favorite and why please, tks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Which braid ?

Power Pro Super 8 slick!!! Hands down the best Iíve ever used. Long smooth cast and zero wind knots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIVIT likes this.

Reel-Oars

Quote Originally Posted by Reel-Oars View Post
    Power Pro Super 8 slick!!! Hands down the best I’ve ever used. Long smooth cast and zero wind knots.

Tks, that is one I was wondering about. Do you find a certain color works best for blending in flats. I will be normally using a fluro leader.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I fish the blue because I like the color. I have never fished the other colors. The green is hard for me to see

LIVIT likes this.

Reel-Oars

Once I get moved to SC coast I will probably be fishing at least 2 times a week, probably more and year round. Putting break offs etc.. aside. What is the usage time I can expect from braid. I am use to buying a 1,000 yd spool of good mono for around $25, but I end up changing line at least 3 times a year. Does braid last a lot longer ? I am looking at $100 for 1500 yds. of braid.

Iíve only fished it for 6 months so I canít answer the longevity of it

LIVIT likes this.

Reel-Oars

If you store braid out of the weather, it will easily last multiple seasons. You can also reverse it on the spool to get more life. I personally do not like the slick versions, knots do not perform as well. I use PowerPro and Fins, pretty much the same.

Where you moving to in SC? Just got a flats skiff and plan to get down that way, may even relocate there if things do not shape up here in NC. Really like the looks of the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge and have fished the Isle of Palms area.
    blueoceaneyez, and LIVIT like this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

FINS braid. I use 20# Windtamer and 15# 40G (very smooth!)
    Why did you hate braid when you tried it before?
    LIVIT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCTribute View Post
    If you store braid out of the weather, it will easily last multiple seasons. You can also reverse it on the spool to get more life. I personally do not like the slick versions, knots do not perform as well. I use PowerPro and Fins, pretty much the same.

Where you moving to in SC? Just got a flats skiff and plan to get down that way, may even relocate there if things do not shape up here in NC. Really like the looks of the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge and have fished the Isle of Palms area.
    Tks, knots for braid was going to be my next question and research. Doubt things are going to shape up with the crooks in NC. I am looking and my best bud who lives south of Myrtle is looking too, for a place for me inshore a bit, between Myrtle and Georgetown. I want to be within 45 mins or so of the Winyah bay area. My CC is a great flats and bay boat. Plus that area is a lot like the area I am from originally in Fl (Mosquito Lagoon) let me know if ya move or want to join us fishing down there.

Quote Originally Posted by blueoceaneyez View Post
    FINS braid. I use 20# Windtamer and 15# 40G (very smooth!)
    Why did you hate braid when you tried it before?
    Tks, what knots are you using. I think it was spider wire I tried when it first came out. It destroyed the fuji guides on 3 rods and messed up the bails line guide/roller on 3 high dollar bait runners. It was very abrasive. Needless to say, but I was not happy ! I have never wanted to try it since. But have been reading that its much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Tks, what knots are you using. I think it was spider wire I tried when it first came out. It destroyed the fuji guides on 3 rods and messed up the bails line guide/roller on 3 high dollar bait runners. It was very abrasive. Needless to say, but I was not happy ! I have never wanted to try it since. But have been reading that its much better now.
    Slim Beauty for braid to fluoro leader and Palomor Knot for braid to lure.
    dbeam, and LIVIT like this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I like Power Pro, I just got some Fins and it seems good to. The slick and Nanofill work good in the lighter lines for really long casts. I do not worry about color, but it is good to have different colors if you are trolling and tangle. It is also good to work finesse baits with a color you can see well against the water.

Darrell
    LIVIT likes this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by dbeam View Post
    I like Power Pro, I just got some Fins and it seems good to. The slick and Nanofill work good in the lighter lines for really long casts. I do not worry about color, but it is good to have different colors if you are trolling and tangle. It is also good to work finesse baits with a color you can see well against the water.

Darrell
    Darrell, you and I have not had to many probs with tangling up when we are trolling with 6-8 rods. It was the fishes fault not ours I still chuckle when I think about that last one, multiple lines tangled, main line wrapped on motor and we still landed that beast! Thats a great idea bud, different colors to help untangle and then a good vis for finesse fishing the flats for trout and reds.
    dbeam likes this.

Daiwa Samurai for me. Super thin, casts long. Well behaved. I'm not a fan of their cheaper line the J-Braid, though a lot of guys do like it a lot. There's a learning curve with braid that starts with learning to habitually check your line on every cast to ensure you don't get a spool knot. (They aren't wind knots, they're fisherman knots.) For knots, I'm a complete total convert to the FG knot for attaching leader to braid-- but it is a time consuming knot that some fishermen have difficulty learning. For starters try the good old double uni knot or reverse Albright. Both are good enough when tied correctly. Longevity depends on how hard you fish it and where, but most of the leading braids will give you several seasons of use.

I like Sufix 832 and put me down as an FG knot fan as well. There is definitely a learning curve for tying it but it’s not that difficult. Salt Strong has a good video on learning the FG knot.
    ~JOE~

Solo Dei Gloria

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast