Canoe fish finder advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canoe fish finder advice

Default Hummingbird fishing buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JM76 View Post
    What are you guys using for fish finders on your kayaks/canoes? i'm looking to pick one up for my canoe. I'd like to spend around $100, no more than $150.
    I bought this Hummingbird fishing buddy a little over a year ago. It was on sale for $110 at the time. It works great for me, shows water temperature also. It does take 8 AAA batteries though. I get on average about 14 hours of continuous use. I just don't leave it on continuously while fishing, that way I get several fishing trips on one set of batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-41.../dp/B013T5QS30

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a Striker 5+ and it’s simple complete and I feel like I got the most bang for my buck
    JM76 likes this.

In regards to water temps...When you shoot through hull, you do get temp readings and for the first bit, they will be a bit off, but, once the boat has been in the water for a bit, and the hull regulates with the water temps, the the temp readings tend to be pretty accurate
    JM76, and rascals dad like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Another option for power it a 12 volt cordless drill battery. They are small and last 4 to 5 hours on a charge. that's what I use when I don't take trolling motor on my Big Rig. As for extending the power wires, my Garmin Striker 4 plus has very small wires but since I have the battery in the back and run the wires to the front, I stepped up the wire gage for the longer wire run. I mounted transducer in scupper mount so I have direct water contact mot all kayaks have that option unless you do an over the side mount though. Through hull mount will read water temp but not until the hull temp equalizes with the water temp so there will be some delay in seeing actual water temp. often not a big deal but sometimes you might want to key in on a slightly warmer or cooler water temp in the winter or summer.
    JM76 likes this.

Merry Christmas to me! My mother-in-law just gave me a Garmin Striker 4. So that settles that!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    crappie89 likes this.

There you go. Now, How are you going to mount it?
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Duck View Post
    There you go. Now, How are you going to mount it?
    That's the big question!
    I'll rig something up and mount the unit itself to my DIY middle canoe seat (with the battery box right underneath). I'm thinking of mounting the transducer to the hull with duct seal. See how that works out.

better to use a transducer armlike people used in a kayak.
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hangout View Post
    Why's that? I heard the transducer through the hull gets accurate readings, and then I don't need to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hangout View Post
    I kind of disagree with this style of mounting. That is one more thing for fishing line to get snagged or wrapped around on. With the duct putty method, It goes on the floor and can be set up so its out of the way and less likely to get snagged. Just my .02
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Duck View Post
    I kind of disagree with this style of mounting. That is one more thing for fishing line to get snagged or wrapped around on. With the duct putty method, It goes on the floor and can be set up so its out of the way and less likely to get snagged. Just my .02
    That makes sense to me. I'm going to try it like this first. If I don't like it I can always pick up an arm mount.

Just a quick update. Installed the transducer through the hull with duct seal and so far so good! It takes a little while to get the water temp, but other than that I'm liking the setup! Thanks for all the advice, really digging the Striker 4!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	81621195_10222149641353181_2597230504155545600_o.jpg‎
Views:	66
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	196597 Click image for larger version.

Name:	82910181_10222208507424796_4958438369118912512_o.jpg‎
Views:	63
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	196599

You have a nice set up there.
    I fished out of a solo canoe for years. Always loved it. I mounted pad eyes on the bow and stern and ran my anchor lines through them. I used carabiners to attach my anchors and cam cleats to hold the lines. I could drop anchor in about 2 seconds from either front or back or both. Worked great. I use the same system on my Hobie.
    ~JOE~
    JM76 likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

Thanks! I really like it, especially now that I lowered the middle seat and got the longer paddle (280cm). Canoe itself isn't particularly light or fast, but it does the trick for me. It's stable, and plenty big for all my gear, a handful of rods, etc. And I can use it as a tandem if the opportunity presents itself. In fact the wife and I plan on doing some canoe camping in the spring.

That's a good idea for the anchor line. I may have to do that one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
    You have a nice set up there.
    I fished out of a solo canoe for years. Always loved it. I mounted pad eyes on the bow and stern and ran my anchor lines through them. I used carabiners to attach my anchors and cam cleats to hold the lines. I could drop anchor in about 2 seconds from either front or back or both. Worked great. I use the same system on my Hobie.
    ~JOE~

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12