NC Angler Forums banner

Canoe fish finder advice

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  JM76 
#1 ·
What are you guys using for fish finders on your kayaks/canoes? i'm looking to pick one up for my canoe. I'd like to spend around $100, no more than $150. Merry Christmas to me! ;) I've been doing some research, I'm not sure if I should get something portable (like an iBobber) and just use my phone, or if i should get something like a Garmin Striker 4. The thing about the Striker 4, is I'd have to rig up a mount for the transducer and the unit, get a battery, waterproof battery box, etc. I like the thought of using a portable that I can toss in the water and use my phone to view. Seems simpler, but I know I'd get better results with the Garmin. Also looking at a few fish finders that charge via USB and don't require a battery. But those are the Fishtrax and the Lucky and I'm not sure they are quality products that will give me accurate results. Any ideas/thoughts/advice?? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Check out the FishTrax Series, made by Hawkeye Electronics. They have several models in your price range. You can buy direct from their web site, or you might find them sale-priced on Amazon. They are portable, run on four AA batteries, and use a floating transducer attached by a long cord. I have been using the FishTrax 1-C for two years, in my kayak, with the transducer mounted and run through a scupper hole. Great customer support, videos on their web site so you can see how they operate.

Reactions: JM76
#4 ·
When I fished out of my canoe I pressed a lump of duct seal on the floor of the canoe and smooshed my transducer down into it.
The transducer will shoot through the hull and you can take it off when you are finished for the day. I am using it right now on my yak no issues at all. Duct seal can be found at any home improvement store in the electrical dept. I never liked having my transducer in the water. It created noticeable drag when I was paddling.

My finder is a Lowrance Elite 4X. It’s a bare bones unit but does what I want it to do. This is similar to mine.

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/fishfinders-chartplotters/hook2-4x-bullet-skimmer/

~JOE~

#5 ·
I'm using the Garmin Striker 4 in both of my kayaks. As mentioned by JoeTrain, I used duct putty to secure my transducer to the inside of my hull to "shoot through". On my Slayer XC, I shoot it through the electronics module. On the Big Rig, Its inside the hull about 1/3 of the way back. I installed wire caps to keep the wires in place. Both installs work very well.

Duct Putty:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Be...Ashp-wIltKzI9EIkSgRoCx8MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wire Caps:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--two-hole-wire-caps--P003_094_010_501?recordNum=1

#7 ·
Great info, thanks so much guys! I'm leaning towards the Striker 4. I like the idea of mounting the transducer in the hull but if I did that I wouldn't get water temps. The FishTrax is nice as well, but it's not cheap, and the unit isn't rechargeable, runs on AA or AAA batteries which I would have to constantly replace. For similar $$ I can get the Striker 4, runs off of a 12V rechargeable battery, and it looks like it has more features.

#16 ·
Hummingbird fishing buddy

What are you guys using for fish finders on your kayaks/canoes? i'm looking to pick one up for my canoe. I'd like to spend around $100, no more than $150.
I bought this Hummingbird fishing buddy a little over a year ago. It was on sale for $110 at the time. It works great for me, shows water temperature also. It does take 8 AAA batteries though. I get on average about 14 hours of continuous use. I just don't leave it on continuously while fishing, that way I get several fishing trips on one set of batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-410060-1-Fishin-Buddy-Fishfinder/dp/B013T5QS30

#19 ·
Another option for power it a 12 volt cordless drill battery. They are small and last 4 to 5 hours on a charge. that's what I use when I don't take trolling motor on my Big Rig. As for extending the power wires, my Garmin Striker 4 plus has very small wires but since I have the battery in the back and run the wires to the front, I stepped up the wire gage for the longer wire run. I mounted transducer in scupper mount so I have direct water contact mot all kayaks have that option unless you do an over the side mount though. Through hull mount will read water temp but not until the hull temp equalizes with the water temp so there will be some delay in seeing actual water temp. often not a big deal but sometimes you might want to key in on a slightly warmer or cooler water temp in the winter or summer.

#22 ·
That's the big question! [emoji16]
I'll rig something up and mount the unit itself to my DIY middle canoe seat (with the battery box right underneath). I'm thinking of mounting the transducer to the hull with duct seal. See how that works out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Just a quick update. Installed the transducer through the hull with duct seal and so far so good! It takes a little while to get the water temp, but other than that I'm liking the setup! Thanks for all the advice, really digging the Striker 4!

Attachments

#28 ·
You have a nice set up there.
I fished out of a solo canoe for years. Always loved it. I mounted pad eyes on the bow and stern and ran my anchor lines through them. I used carabiners to attach my anchors and cam cleats to hold the lines. I could drop anchor in about 2 seconds from either front or back or both. Worked great. I use the same system on my Hobie.
~JOE~

#29 ·
Thanks! I really like it, especially now that I lowered the middle seat and got the longer paddle (280cm). Canoe itself isn't particularly light or fast, but it does the trick for me. It's stable, and plenty big for all my gear, a handful of rods, etc. And I can use it as a tandem if the opportunity presents itself. In fact the wife and I plan on doing some canoe camping in the spring.

That's a good idea for the anchor line. I may have to do that one of these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.