Cheoah Lake December 15th

Thread: Cheoah Lake December 15th

Default Cheoah Lake December 15th

I put in at the canoe/kayak portage immediately above the dam. Fished from 10 a.m. to 3 pm. I know most of the fish are still up river towards the Fontana dam, but I really like this end of the lake during the winter... Not much loud traffic on the road, quiet with great scenery. I had plenty of action all day, just not much size. Had two rainbows at 14 in, everything else was in the 10 inch range. Hot bait was mag lip 2.5 in rainbow trout color, 150 ft back behind a planer board. I hate running a planer board from a kayak, but there were a lot of leaves and sticks ,it's worth the hassle to keep all the debris off the flat line. Mag lip caught about a dozen trout, downrigger set at 7 feet with small watermelon dodger and chartreuse hoochie got about a half dozen. I couldn't buy a bite on the mini dipsy and spoon. Changed spoon every 20 minutes, they just didn't want it. Most bites came in front of the branches trickling down into the lake. Trolled up at 1.5 mile per hour, down at two mile per hour. Overall a pretty good day. Scenery was great, weather was beautiful, and I got to stay within 15 minutes of home. Couldn't ask for much more.
    derekp, FISHER87, gambusia, salpal, and Troutgirl like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

See any muskies?

Thanks

No muskies seen. Nothing on the locator that would indicate muskies hanging out around the schools of small rainbows either. Now that I have almost the whole lake topo mapped, I have a few areas that I believe will be worth throwing some big baits next fall.
    gambusia likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks

Looks like a place to try trolling some large plugs

When I fished Cheoah this past summer, we caught a lot of Browns around the Santeetlah powerhouse. It was all Rainbows down near the dam.

I've always done well casting the shorelines from the powerhouse all the way up river to the landing. There were quite a few browns in front of the weed beds just up from the powerhouse late summer. There must be brown trout down deep in front of the dam during the summer months as well, but I've never tried it. I usually stay up in the cool water in the top few miles of the lake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20191006_072713_099_1576700416679.jpg‎
Views:	32
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	196387
    FISHER87 likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements