NC Angler Forums banner

Decent Streams for Beginner Fly Fisher

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  thomasj1107 
#1 ·
Greetings! My boyfriend and I recently learned how to fly fish and I am wondering if anyone knows of any decent streams that we can go and catch a few trout this season? I live in Charlotte and am not too sure of where to go within 3 hours of here. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

#2 ·
I would suggest Wilson Creek clear water and just a beautiful place to spend some time even if you don’t catch fish. Within your driving range, just be careful when wading it might only look knee high deep but could be up to your head. I use an aluminum break down wading stick to check water depth when I’m not sure. Good luck.

#5 ·
Think about going to a Carolina Fly Fishing Club meeting at the Bass Pro Shops in Concord Mills. There you can not only learn more about fly fishing but attend outings all year in different spots, win some nice raffle prizes and most importantly, meet new friends with a shared interest.

#10 ·
Stone Mountain is where I learned the ropes. 4 flies that work great in this particular stream:
1 - Black Woolybugger - cast downstream and pull it to you allow it to drop to the bottom and jerk it up occationally
2 - Grey Ghost (if you can find them) - cast downstream, pull up the middle of the fast water
3 - Elk Hair Caddis - cast upstream as usual with dry flies.
4 - Yellow egg - let it sink nice and natural in calm water where you see a Brook Trout sitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.