Decent Streams for Beginner Fly Fisher
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Decent Streams for Beginner Fly Fisher

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2

    Default Decent Streams for Beginner Fly Fisher

    Greetings! My boyfriend and I recently learned how to fly fish and I am wondering if anyone knows of any decent streams that we can go and catch a few trout this season? I live in Charlotte and am not too sure of where to go within 3 hours of here. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    GreyGhost's Avatar
    GreyGhost is offline
    Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,436

    Default

    I would suggest Wilson Creek clear water and just a beautiful place to spend some time even if you donít catch fish. Within your driving range, just be careful when wading it might only look knee high deep but could be up to your head. I use an aluminum break down wading stick to check water depth when Iím not sure. Good luck.
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14



  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mount Airy
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    If you're looking for ease of access, the Arart here in Mount Airy has a paved trail beside of it. The Mitchell River here in Surry County would be another good option.
    Red X Angler

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thanks for these suggestions!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Think about going to a Carolina Fly Fishing Club meeting at the Bass Pro Shops in Concord Mills. There you can not only learn more about fly fishing but attend outings all year in different spots, win some nice raffle prizes and most importantly, meet new friends with a shared interest.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Stone mountain state park
    South Mountain state park
    Green river

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Concord
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrb0911 View Post
    Greetings! My boyfriend and I recently learned how to fly fish and I am wondering if anyone knows of any decent streams that we can go and catch a few trout this season? I live in Charlotte and am not too sure of where to go within 3 hours of here. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!
    Mitchell River near Stone Mountain

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Howdy. I've just begun my research into fishing near Elkin. Specifically on the Mitchell River. Do you know if it's possible to fish downstream of the Kapps Mill Dam as well or does the only fishing on the Mitchell River take place upstream of the dam?

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rockford Township
    Posts
    7,805
    Blog Entries
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by granite603 View Post
    Howdy. I've just begun my research into fishing near Elkin. Specifically on the Mitchell River. Do you know if it's possible to fish downstream of the Kapps Mill Dam as well or does the only fishing on the Mitchell River take place upstream of the dam?
    Kapps Mill Dam is gone. Downstream of that area isn't DH water. Private property.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Stone Mountain is where I learned the ropes. 4 flies that work great in this particular stream:
    1 - Black Woolybugger - cast downstream and pull it to you allow it to drop to the bottom and jerk it up occationally
    2 - Grey Ghost (if you can find them) - cast downstream, pull up the middle of the fast water
    3 - Elk Hair Caddis - cast upstream as usual with dry flies.
    4 - Yellow egg - let it sink nice and natural in calm water where you see a Brook Trout sitting.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirFisher View Post
    Stone Mountain is where I learned the ropes. 4 flies that work great in this particular stream:
    1 - Black Woolybugger - cast downstream and pull it to you allow it to drop to the bottom and jerk it up occationally
    2 - Grey Ghost (if you can find them) - cast downstream, pull up the middle of the fast water
    3 - Elk Hair Caddis - cast upstream as usual with dry flies.
    4 - Yellow egg - let it sink nice and natural in calm water where you see a Brook Trout sitting.
    Anywhere particular in the park or do are most of the creeks essentially the same?

  14. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts