Decent Streams for Beginner Fly Fisher

Thread: Decent Streams for Beginner Fly Fisher

Default Decent Streams for Beginner Fly Fisher

Greetings! My boyfriend and I recently learned how to fly fish and I am wondering if anyone knows of any decent streams that we can go and catch a few trout this season? I live in Charlotte and am not too sure of where to go within 3 hours of here. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I would suggest Wilson Creek clear water and just a beautiful place to spend some time even if you donít catch fish. Within your driving range, just be careful when wading it might only look knee high deep but could be up to your head. I use an aluminum break down wading stick to check water depth when Iím not sure. Good luck.
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

If you're looking for ease of access, the Arart here in Mount Airy has a paved trail beside of it. The Mitchell River here in Surry County would be another good option.
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for these suggestions!

Think about going to a Carolina Fly Fishing Club meeting at the Bass Pro Shops in Concord Mills. There you can not only learn more about fly fishing but attend outings all year in different spots, win some nice raffle prizes and most importantly, meet new friends with a shared interest.

Stone mountain state park
    South Mountain state park
    Green river

Quote Originally Posted by Jrb0911 View Post
    Greetings! My boyfriend and I recently learned how to fly fish and I am wondering if anyone knows of any decent streams that we can go and catch a few trout this season? I live in Charlotte and am not too sure of where to go within 3 hours of here. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!
    Mitchell River near Stone Mountain

Howdy. I've just begun my research into fishing near Elkin. Specifically on the Mitchell River. Do you know if it's possible to fish downstream of the Kapps Mill Dam as well or does the only fishing on the Mitchell River take place upstream of the dam?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by granite603 View Post
    Howdy. I've just begun my research into fishing near Elkin. Specifically on the Mitchell River. Do you know if it's possible to fish downstream of the Kapps Mill Dam as well or does the only fishing on the Mitchell River take place upstream of the dam?
    Kapps Mill Dam is gone. Downstream of that area isn't DH water. Private property.

Stone Mountain is where I learned the ropes. 4 flies that work great in this particular stream:
    1 - Black Woolybugger - cast downstream and pull it to you allow it to drop to the bottom and jerk it up occationally
    2 - Grey Ghost (if you can find them) - cast downstream, pull up the middle of the fast water
    3 - Elk Hair Caddis - cast upstream as usual with dry flies.
    4 - Yellow egg - let it sink nice and natural in calm water where you see a Brook Trout sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFisher View Post
    Stone Mountain is where I learned the ropes. 4 flies that work great in this particular stream:
    1 - Black Woolybugger - cast downstream and pull it to you allow it to drop to the bottom and jerk it up occationally
    2 - Grey Ghost (if you can find them) - cast downstream, pull up the middle of the fast water
    3 - Elk Hair Caddis - cast upstream as usual with dry flies.
    4 - Yellow egg - let it sink nice and natural in calm water where you see a Brook Trout sitting.
    Anywhere particular in the park or do are most of the creeks essentially the same?

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements