24 out of 100 Species

Thread: 24 out of 100 Species

Default 24 out of 100 Species

Early in 2019, I decided on a bucketlist item: catch 100 species of fish

A few buddies suggested I change it to 100 species of freshwater fish and 100 species of saltwater fish. Nope. Let me catch 100 species first, then I’ll consider what’s next

The counting starts in 2019, so any prior catches don't count. And the species pics are on the day or trip of the first catch, so a trophy black crappie (species 1) in 2020 is cool and all, but the evidence will be from February 18, 2019

Although somehow the order shuffled and some of the pictures face varying horizontals and verticals, I’ve been adding my evidence in my profile photos: https://www.ncangler.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3479

Here are my species, the location, and date

1. Black Crappie - Raleigh 02/18/19
    2. Black Sea Bass - Northern Skyway Bridge Pier, Tampa Bay 02/27/19
    3. Blacktip Shark – Northern Skyway Bridge Pier, Tampa Bay 02/27/19
    4. Speckled Trout - Northern Skyway Bridge Pier, Tampa Bay 02/27/19
    5. Spanish Mackeral – Southern Skyway Bridge Pier, Tampa Bay 02/28/19
    6. Bluegill – Raleigh 03/02/19
    7. Hickory Shad – Neuse River 03/17/19
    8. Largemouth Bass – Eno River 03/24/19
    9. Channel Catfish – Raleigh 03/27/19
    10. Northern Puffer Fish – Atlantic Beach 03/30/19
    11. Silver Perch – Emerald Isle 05/04/19
    12. Bluefish – Emerald Isle 05/04/19
    13. White Perch – Falls Lake 05/25/19
    14. White Bass – Jordan Lake 06/09/19
    15. Bullhead Catfish – Raleigh 07/12/19
    16. Atlantic Thread Herring – Holden Beach 07/17/19
    17. Pinfish – Holden Beach 07/17/19
    18. Redbreast Sunfish – Raleigh 07/24/19
    19. Mummichog – Vandemere 08/27/19
    20. Mosquitofish – Vandemere 08/27/19
    21. Red Drum – Vandemere 08/28/19
    22. Ladyfish – Atlantic Beach 10/05/19
    23. White Crappie – Raleigh 11/27/19
    24. Common Carp – Raleigh 12/15/19

I’ve got a few species in my sights for next year. Happy holidays everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That is a pretty cool idea. I need to start doing something similar. Thank you for sharing.
    LedHotZeplinPepr likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

I agree with Crappie. I may just start doing this as well. Thanks for the share!
    LedHotZeplinPepr likes this.

Just keep swimming...ahem... fishing... just keep fishing...
    Proud Red X Angler Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Goals always make things more interesting. I am a bass junkie so not real big on other species for the most part. One year I decided to count how many bass I caught, by october I was in the 700s and put a target on 1000 by 12/31. It came down to the last day which was about 35 degrees blowing and drizzling but I broke 1000... and stayed and caught 3 more to total out at 1003. I also kept track of a zero free streak that went from March 8 2015 to December 29th 2018, pretty impressive being that I fish about 130 days a year on many different bodies of water in all seasons. Some days I look at my pile of rods on the front deck of the boat and try to catch a fish on every rod I have out.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Neil - that's pretty impressive. Congrats.
    My goal is usually to get my fishing partner (at the back of the boat) to land a fish. I always feel the worst when it's my dad and I can't get us on fish. My biggest goal is to go a full year without a boat skunk (I consider that when no one on the boat catches a fish).
    dbeam, and LedHotZeplinPepr like this.

Just keep swimming...ahem... fishing... just keep fishing...
    Proud Red X Angler Member

Thanks for all of the kind comments and cool stories. This bucketlist goal has come at a cost! I've gone from three rods and three reels to eight rods and six reels

For 2019, I made a New Year's Resolution to go saltwater fishing at least six times (I went eight). For 2020, I've made a New Year's Resolution to fish in the mountains at least twice. I assume my rods and reels will further expand, which I'm totally fine with
    Sam in GA likes this.

CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go.
    Thanks for posting; should be motivation or at least a dream for the rest of us.
    For further motivation and entertainment all might like:
    The story of VA's first Master Angler V. In the Virginia Wildlife Magazine and online at www.dgif.Virginia.gov
    or better/faster just look for Va's first Master Angler. an interview but the pictures in the magazine are impressive.
    BEST WISHES FOR A HAPPY & FISHY 2020!!! everyone & keep posting for OUR pleasure THANK YOU ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    Goals always make things more interesting. I am a bass junkie so not real big on other species for the most part. One year I decided to count how many bass I caught, by october I was in the 700s and put a target on 1000 by 12/31. It came down to the last day which was about 35 degrees blowing and drizzling but I broke 1000... and stayed and caught 3 more to total out at 1003. I also kept track of a zero free streak that went from March 8 2015 to December 29th 2018, pretty impressive being that I fish about 130 days a year on many different bodies of water in all seasons. Some days I look at my pile of rods on the front deck of the boat and try to catch a fish on every rod I have out.
    That’s pretty cool, I should start a zero streak because I seem to zero 65% of trips

Very cool. A question regarding “bullhead catfish”... there’s 3 common species of bullhead: yellow, black and brown. To my knowledge, there isn’t a species just called a Bullhead Catfish.

The best I can do is direct you to my pics page. The link is in the original post and I have somewhat limit use on my phone at the moment. I caught it in Lake Johnson and bullheads are like mosquitoes in there

Thank you for mentioning the different bullhead species and I'd love to get some clarification. I used to call all crappie just "crappie" and have since learned it's not that simple

I caught a bass on the Haw River a few days ago thinking it was a largemouth, but someone thinks it may be a spotted bass. Admittedly I never heard of spotted bass, but did some digging and it sounds like they are in lakes Gaston and Norman. I see a fishing trip in my sites

I spoke with someone at Lake Johnson who mentioned there are sub-species within bullheads. It involves their chin whiskers, there is a sub-species where their chin whiskers separate at the end instead of being a typical chin whisker with one end. The same person also helped verify what I caught, but I can't remember what exact species it was. I think it's a brown bullhead

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements