Freshwater Philpott 12-14-19

Thread: Philpott 12-14-19

Default Philpott 12-14-19

My girlfriend lives near Martinsville, VA so I had been thinking about trying out Philpott for a while. It is a deep highland reservoir that has smallmouth in addition to largemouth. I love wintertime fishing for bass when I can use a float and fly technique. Not much info available on the internet about fishing and no lake topo maps online so I was just going to learn as I went. I decided to start on bluff walls as I know these hold fish in winter time.

I caught a 15.5" smallmouth about 30 min into the day on the fly. Thought it was going to be a good day but I struggled. Fished what I thought was the main river channel for about 2 hours without another bite (I later found out it wasn't the channel) and saw very little bait. Made a move into a creek and found lots of bait and other fishermen. The day started calm and overcast but the a front was blowing through and the winds picked up to over 20 mph so it was hard to fish where I wanted. The bait I found was deep near the bottom with very little suspended. Conditions were tough to say the least.

For the rest of the day I got 2 bites on a swimbait, hooked one vertical jigging a tailspinner, and caught a tiny 6" bass near the end of the day on the fly. I only got to explore about 1/4 of the lake but what I did see definitely looks like it could be a good winter fishing destination.

Water clarity was at least 8-10 feet and the temp was 51.5 degrees. I later found a paper map online which shows lots of locations I can try on my next trip. It was $12 from Kingfisher maps if you are interested.

Hopefully, my next trip will have a bit better weather and I can get some more action but I caught a couple and got on the water for the first time in months. Overall a nice day.

PS. There are quite a few ramps on the lake but not all are open this time of year. I used the one near the dam where the marina is. The marina operator said this one stays open all year. There is a $5 fee to park and you need cash for the drop box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Philpott 19-12-14.jpg‎
Views:	106
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	196391
    badankles, Fishscalz, and jerry condrey like this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Float and fly is a great cold water presentation. I tied up some jigs using craft hair and those seem to work well.
    ~JOE~
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

Nice Bass! I grew up about 1 mile from Philpott Reservoir and have many fond memories of fishing there. My first (and only) trophy fish citation was a channel catfish taken from that lake. I remember my dad catching lots of walleye there. I haven't fished there in years but you are making me want to take a trip for old times sake! Maybe I will get my Va license for 2020! Thanks for posting!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice dude. I've fished below the dam on the Smith, and wondered about the lake above.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

when's a noob no longer a noob...

Nice fish Drew! I fished Philpot a few times years ago, ,caught several smallies and largies. Still ready to go when you are..lol
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
    Float and fly is a great cold water presentation. I tied up some jigs using craft hair and those seem to work well.
    ~JOE~
    I like to use duck feathers over craft hair. I also drill a small hole in the jig head and take two strands from a bass jig weed guard and super glue them in the hole. Makes is possible to get the fly through most any wood cover without hanging up.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

I fished Philpot once a few years back. I had planned a 3 day trip to Claytor Lake to try to cathc my first smallmouth. First day I caught 2 or 3 largemouth in the first hour and a spot later... fished sun up to sun down the next day without a bite so I left the next morning for Philpott on the way home. Been toying with the idea of going back soon.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

That’s a pretty fish.

I went up to philpott the first week of December in hopes of catching smallies on the float and fly as well. Fished sunrise to sunset and caught 1 2 lb largemouth on a spoon. It was very calm and sunny, not ideal conditions. I would probably go back and try it again if it ever gets really cold. I love smallies. I did get the idea that it doesn’t have a huge fish population while I was there. I’ve just never been able to really figure them out on the mountain lakes any time of year other than spring.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements