Lake HPCL winter tips?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPCL winter tips?

Default HPCL winter tips?

Short notice, but thatís the nature of this job. Iím gonna be headed to Greensboro for work tomorrow morning and decided Iím going to bring the kayak and get some fishing in at High Point City Lake tomorrow afternoon. Going for bass, by the way. I was taking a look at topo and I have a gameplan of hitting that long point straight across from the dam, and heading up East Fork along the West Bank, as it looks like it should be nice and sunny tomorrow.

That said, any tips are appreciated, and I will gladly reference you in all the pics of the double digit bass I hope to catch

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good game plan. Fish the lay downs behind the East Fork Bridge. And the old Rock Dam. Remember that?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I dont think I ever got up that far up there!

Go up under the bridge, go until you see a big bay to your right. The rock dam is at the entrance to the bay, try spinner baits there.
    BrandonK likes this.

Iíll give it a shot! Thanks!

Don't they have a hp limit on this lake? If so what is it, and do they allow boats over the limit to fish on trolling motor power? Also, do they allow loading with the big motors? Never been on that lake so I really don't know anything about it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by meenyt View Post
    Don't they have a hp limit on this lake? If so what is it, and do they allow boats over the limit to fish on trolling motor power? Also, do they allow loading with the big motors? Never been on that lake so I really don't know anything about it. Thanks.
    Iíve only been there twice but I believe itís under 10hp limit. I believe you can load boat with a bigger motor but canít use it
    meenyt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meenyt View Post
    You can launch with any motor. I have always power unloaded/loaded my boat and nobody ever said anything to me. You have to use the trolling motor the rest of the time if over 10 hp.

I have used my big motor twice out there. Once to pull a boat back to the dock and once to race a fast approaching thunderstorm back to the ramp. Neither time did anyone say anything to me.

IMO they can't be too high and mighty about it because they run a giant pontoon for lake tours that has a 90 hp and they have another boat that has a 60 hp on it. They run both at full throttle and throw a good size wake.

I would prefer on these lakes to remove the hp restrictions and make it idle only for power boats but it will never happen.
    meenyt likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

No luck. Every cast on that point came back with snot grass. Tried going down that West bank, and lost 2 cranks and a jig. Went up north of the bridge Nd found the bay but have zero clue what dam you were talking about, haha. Wind absolutely kicked my butt today too

Dam is an old rock dam that was blown up and is underwater.

I figured and I tried to figure out exactly where it would be, but no electronics at the moment

Hammered em on Oak Hollow a couple of weeks ago on on jigging spoons 16-22 feet on humps and sharp channel bends. Same theory should apply anywhere. I didn't realize that lake had that kind of topography differences. Gonna have to try it for sure. Any hybrids in there?
    finstalker likes this.

A few show up there time to time, but these make the journey down from Oak Hollow. They are not stocked in HPCL.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK View Post
    No luck. Every cast on that point came back with snot grass. Tried going down that West bank, and lost 2 cranks and a jig. Went up north of the bridge Nd found the bay but have zero clue what dam you were talking about, haha. Wind absolutely kicked my butt today too
    I guess you already figured it out, but the snot grass is about at its worst on that point across from the dam. That West shoreline up the East fork is one of the steepest deep banks in the lake but I'm with Jerry, I have had the best luck further up East Fork arm especially above the bridge. But I never fished there during Winter, either.

BrandonK, PM me your email address, I have a few files I can send you that might be of interest.

Hey Jerry! Hope retirement is treating you well! Hey Andrew! Hope both your families are doing well!
    Bleedingblue, and BrandonK like this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast