Pamlico Trout

Thread: Pamlico Trout

Default Pamlico Trout

Itís been, and continues to be, a great speckled trout season on the Pamlico. Many fishermen have fulfilled their dream of catching a limit of trout. Although I have not had those 40-60 catch days I have limited out several times with 17-20 inch fish and caught and released my personal best trout.
    I sincerely hope that our regulatory agencies can find a way to perpetuate this season.
    Chris52, and Wellred like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

And not just numbers—great quality, too!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Congratulations on your best fish!.... what depths are you guys catching your fish in the winter? I'm trying to figure out this Westside winter trout thing haha

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zebralips View Post
    Congratulations on your best fish!.... what depths are you guys catching your fish in the winter? I'm trying to figure out this Westside winter trout thing haha
    This fall, winter 4-6 feet in bays. Think this is an anomaly though due to warmer than normal weather. Catching fish by moving baits like mid fall. Water temp last 2 weeks has increased from 50 to 60 degrees. Normal in mid January is low to mid forties.

3 to 5 feet on mud flats, and much better in the afternoon. A couple degrees difference in water temps is the make or break between fishing and catching. And fish everything slowly, and then slow down some more!

Thanks guys... I've been having some success so far but I'm definitely unfamiliar with the cold water fishing. I'm guessing you just fish on the warm days when they're most likely going to be trying to feed?

Thanks guys... I've been having some success so far but I'm definitely unfamiliar with the cold water fishing. I'm guessing you just fish on the warm days when they're most likely going to be trying to feed?
    Not necessarily warm days...50 degrees and up works for me, as long as there are calm winds. I have been putting in around noon, and fishing through 3 or 4. Because I am retired, I am mostly fishing on week days and rarely see others—so that must make a difference too.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetup1 View Post
    Itís been, and continues to be, a great speckled trout season on the Pamlico. Many fishermen have fulfilled their dream of catching a limit of trout. Although I have not had those 40-60 catch days I have limited out several times with 17-20 inch fish and caught and released my personal best trout.
    I sincerely hope that our regulatory agencies can find a way to perpetuate this season.
    Wishful thinking at best. It's never going to be this good when netters are allowed to devastate, deplete, eradicate & keep all Trout they net..... ICM
    Feetup1, and Wellred like this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Wishful thinking at best. It's never going to be this good when netters are allowed to devastate, deplete, eradicate & keep all Trout they net..... ICM
    not to mention redfish..........

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    No nets allowed upstream of the ferry lines on the Neuse and Pamlico. I believe that the recreational fishermen have benefited because we catch more fish from 17-20 inches that normally would be netted. Without question, the resource has benefited.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetup1 View Post
    No nets allowed upstream of the ferry lines on the Neuse and Pamlico. I believe that the recreational fishermen have benefited because we catch more fish from 17-20 inches that normally would be netted. Without question, the resource has benefited.
    No nets are allowed in inland waters on New River but they are there.
    Believe what you want, the resources are being devastated everyday. ..... ICM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_5086.jpg‎†
Views:	181†
Size:	45.8 KB†
ID:	196587
    brhunt likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    Not necessarily warm days...50 degrees and up works for me, as long as there are calm winds. I have been putting in around noon, and fishing through 3 or 4. Because I am retired, I am mostly fishing on week days and rarely see othersóso that must make a difference too.
    I fish when I can. Hot, cold, warm, rain or snow you arenít going to catch them from the couch. My best days have consistently been days with wind over 15mph. We all long for slick cam October mornings, but give me 15-20 out of the NE any day of the week.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements