Looking for tips on fishing for big catfish from the kayak

Thread: Looking for tips on fishing for big catfish from the kayak

Hybrid View

Default Looking for tips on fishing for big catfish from the kayak

Anyone got any good links on tips for fishing for big cats from the kayak . I want to go for a ride . Since I am in the Raleigh area which lakes around here are a good place to go? I've heard Kerr and Gaston are good.

Rascals dad has turned me on to catfishing from the kayak. Basically we have been drifting cut bait on or near the bottom at Kerr lake. I have also caught them casting while drifting. Days with little to no wind allow you to fish pretty much anywhere with little effort.

Check out “kayak catfish” on YouTube. That guy is a wealth of knowledge.

I’m in Youngsville. Send me a pm if you want to join up sometime.
    ~JOE~
    Fly2bTied, and fodder like this.

Solo Dei Gloria

Ditto on Joes reply, can also hookup for Buggs{Kerr Lake}. It is a ball when you hook a 20+ cat from the yak. We have been using cut or whole shad and menhaden fillets { appx 1 11/2inch wide and as long as the fillet is, can normally get 4 baits per menhaden. Don't be shy at using the whole head that is left. I use 8/0 and 9/0 circle hooks, leave plenty of hook exposed don't bury it in the bait. Set drag at appx 2/3 or more let the set the hook don't swing on a bite, reel to set after fish starts to move away.
    Chris52, Fly2bTied, and fodder like this.

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I do a lot of summer catfishing at night from the kayak in the Neuse. Live bream is my preferred bait there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    fodder likes this.

Right now I only have one heavy rod setup, What #/type of line are you running on your catfish setups

I’m not sure but I think I have 65 or 80 lb braid coupled with some heavy leaders that Vance made up for me.
    I should add that the rods and reels I use were part of my musky gear. So the heavy line is just what I had on there. I’m probably a little “overkill” but that’s what I had.

Watch some of those “kayak catfish” YouTube videos. He covers all the gear you need.
    ~JOE~
    fodder likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

I have 2 Penn Conventionals on MH Catfish rods. I prefer high vis 30 lb mono for night fishing. Here is a big flatty from a couple summers ago.

fodder likes this.

But I got this blue last week on shrimp with a bass rod with 15 lb braid.

fodder likes this.

I caught my first 50 lb catfish a few years ago on a guided trip on the James River (VA). After that, I was hooked.

I’ve caught a number of fish in the 10-20 lb range in the last two years and broke my PB on New Year’s Day this year with this 55 lb chunk. He ate a whole crappie head that I had hanging directly under my canoe about 200 feet from the boat ramp at Badin Lake.

If you want to catch large blue catfish, you will need to travel an hour plus outside of the RDU area. Badin, Kerr and Gaston probably have the best potential for big fish in the colder months. In the spring and summer, you can start to target flatheads one the rivers using live bait such as bream, perch, and even small bullheads.

Tackle wise, you’ll want a medium heavy to heavy rod. The ugly stik catfish rods are pretty affordable and will pair nicely with a 6000 or 7000 series round baitcaster reel or similar sized spinning reel. You can use braid or mono for catfish, but remember, mono can hold up better fishing around rough cover and is also easier to break off if you get snagged.

The simplest rigs to use for trophy catfish are fishfinder rigs, which can be drifted directly under the boat or cast out if you are anchored. I prefer a 4-6 oz no roll sinker above a bead and a strong swivel, then a 50-80lb leader that is 12”-16” and snelled to a 8/0-10/0 hook.

If you are fishing without a fishfinder, concentrate around structure, drop offs, and mouths of creeks that you can find on topo maps or on google maps. A decent fishfinder will help you locate bait / fish and give you a better chance of catching bigger fish sooner, as you’re less likely to waste time in areas that don’t have fish or bait.

I’m still learning a lot myself, but those are some basics I would share. There’s a lot of good content on YouTube, but the best experience can be found on the water. If you’re interested in getting out sometime and doing some fishing, shoot me a message. Good luck!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fodder, and roostertail24 like this.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Awesome fish!

Teach a man to fish and he'll give away all your good spots.

Pond pounder is spot on. I fish regularly for a catfish out of my kayak. Lake Gaston, Cape Fear, and NE Cape Fear are my primary destinations when targeting them. Like a lot of people have already said, slow trolling or drifting is a very effective way to cover water and find fish, just don't go too fast.... I would look into how to make or purchase dragging / slinkie weights for this specific technique. It will cut down on snags significantly coupled with using a small pencil float to keep your bait off the bottom (Santee rig). I primarily use 20-30lb mono and occasionally will use 30-50lb braid. I will say this... Getting snagged in a kayak or canoe with heavy line is a huge pain. Breaking the rig off can be a chore particularly in current or in deep water. As somebody else mentioned above, kayak catfish on you tube has some great info in a few of his vids and you can find endless content on this topic from other users. In my experience fresh bait is usually key and sometimes they prefer live bait over fresh cut (white perch, sunfish, crappie, suckers, eels...). If you have a depth finder pay attention to the depth of where you end up catching fish, particularly in lakes. Like many other game fish, once you get bit pay attention to depth and location and you can replicate the conditions at another spot (main lake point in 20-25ft of water, or a channel swing against the bank...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010023.jpg‎ 
Views:	121 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	196611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020184.jpg‎ 
Views:	125 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	196613  
    fodder likes this.

I think you guys might've inspired me to make a cat tripped tomorrow, was debating on bass or catfish

I often catch cats on magnum ned rigs and senko styled baits dead sticking on the bottom when bass fishing. They are heavily scented and seem to get inhaled by cats in my local lake.

It got to the point I had to start using my exsence dc and heavy action rod primarily or my inshore spinning gear which gets it done.

I got beaten up one day hen I hooked into 3 large cats while using some light bfs gear. I had to use a bigger leader after the 1st hookup. Fun day, but they got the best of me by making me chase them around the lake.
    Coupon Code: RCNCA80 for 80% off SA Face Shields

This article is interesting.

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editori...catfish/372011

~JOE~
    fodder, and rascals dad like this.

Solo Dei Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
    Cool article... would love the opportunity to tangle with a 100 lb catfish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk