RED X 2020 New River Smallmouth Save the Date - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 New River Smallmouth Save the Date

Quote Originally Posted by jlzorn5 View Post
    After years of watching you guys, and your trips, life has finally allowed me to go and meet you.
    Can't wait, I have site 4 Thursday thru Sunday. Jack z
    Jack - We are in the 221 access walk in Campground... That site doesn't sound like it is in the area. (Edit: there is a site 4 in the drive to campground at top of hill... we will have folk there too. Sorry, wanted to make sure you found us properly)
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish115 View Post
    Have fun. The Cape Fear Flyfishers are heading up to Galax for three days of fishing the New River in two waves: late July and early August. We aren't as young as many of you so we are camping out at the Hampton Inn in Galax. Tight lines. Lefty Kreh has said that New River is the best smallmouth fishery in the world (he was a big fan of river smallmouth instead of lazier lake smallmouth). The best smallmouth fishing I have even had was at Pine Island on the Winnipeg River several hours from Winnipeg, Canada. Incredible fishing- lots of citation fish (18" or bigger). These are river fish but the Winnipeg River has a dam so is a lot like a lake. Whitefish 115
    Yeah, you can't compare NC smallies to Canadian ones... anything over 12 is a big one, and my biggest in the New is a 15-16" one. But a 12" river smallie will outpull (IMO) a lmb of at least twice it's weight.

We're not so young either...I would guess median age at this would be mid-50's.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

The South Fork of the New is nutrient poor hence a 12" fish can be 5 years old. There are some very nice smallies in the river but the little ones are so numerous that catching a big one is rare. Go ultralight and these fighting midgets are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. A typical 'nice' smallie is pictured.

Glad to see some new folks attending!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks, I have stayed and fished there also. During the winter there is some great trout fishing near by.

site 30 booked. Myself and the 3 lost boys.
    Brian
    h2ohhh likes this.

Zach and will be there Wed - Sunday I hope. That date is close to the start of shcool. If it is I will be there and he can drive himself up friday after school.......Staying in my buddies house in Laurel Springs. Will be around for most of the festivities and since no one has mentioned food I will have the fryer for wings on Saturday
    Daze823, EvBlue, and h2ohhh like this.

Scott..AKA Chicken Wing Man... RED X ANGLER...Father of ZachFishSlayer...2008 Cobia 19 Bay 115 yamaha...Jackson Cuda 12...1966 Crosby Sled 1997 15 HP Johnson

My boys have aged out of youth football, and I'm no longer coaching. I might be able to make this one work this year.
    GreyGhost, and h2ohhh like this.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12