NC Angler Forums banner

2020 New River Smallmouth Save the Date

RED X 
10K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  h2ohhh 
#1 ·
Wanted to get the dates out there for the 125th annual New River Smallmouth event. It will be held on August 14,15 and 16th at the New River State Park 221 ACCESS area. Most arrive Friday for the non existent secret Friday float though the trend has seen some Thursday arrivals for a double probation super secret Thursday float. Both tent and RV sites fill up fast so reserving soon is highly recommended. Last year saw poor river conditions so fishing was basically non existent in the dirty water. I was very proud to catch a smallie in that mess. We still had a great time of fellowship, food and fun. Lots more info to come! Hope to see you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I have booked site 25 for 3 nights! didn't get to fish last year due to the weather! Praying for better weather this year!
Had an awesome time last year and definitely looking forward to some good fishing, food and some great fellowship!

Dear Lord,
Grant Me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch. The Courage not to lie about it, and the Wisdom
to know that none of my fishing buddies would believe me anyways...
Amen.

#6 ·
A word to the wise from a lesson learned last year. I arrived on Thursday and hurriedly pitched camp in order to float with my famous red neck hippie and extremely talented outdoorsman ******* son with whom I seldom get a chance to see. It's August, the weather was fine and in my haste I left my rain jacket packed in my tent. Had on those quick drying but thin Columbia pants and a breathable long sleeve Simms fishing shirt. Put in at the 88 bridge to float the 5 miles to Wagoner Access. About a mile into the float storm clouds suddenly appeared and the skies opened up. Wasn't too concerned of a typical summer storm....until the pea sized hail started to fall. We took shelter under a tree on the bank. The hailstorm lasted a solid 30 minutes before returning to rain. The temperature dropped significantly and I started getting cold. My typically well prepared outfitter/guide love child offered me his outer layer, which being a hard headed manly man I refused. It became apparent this was no typical quick moving storm. With no other option we decided to paddle to Wagoner's. After another mile I started shivering and my junk felt like it had shriveled inside of me. I was hypothermic. In August. Paddling the big Nucanoe as hard as I could I could not get warm as the rain and wind continued. With Bruce keeping an eye on me just behind we made it to the take out. The heat in my truck never felt so good.

Now I'm no rookie to this river, having paddled it since Bill Clinton was being serviced in the oval office. I always have a dry bag with first aid supplies and other items. I've since added extra layers of clothing...and a rain jacket. I suggest you do the same.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Have fun. The Cape Fear Flyfishers are heading up to Galax for three days of fishing the New River in two waves: late July and early August. We aren't as young as many of you so we are camping out at the Hampton Inn in Galax. Tight lines. Lefty Kreh has said that New River is the best smallmouth fishery in the world (he was a big fan of river smallmouth instead of lazier lake smallmouth). The best smallmouth fishing I have even had was at Pine Island on the Winnipeg River several hours from Winnipeg, Canada. Incredible fishing- lots of citation fish (18" or bigger). These are river fish but the Winnipeg River has a dam so is a lot like a lake. Whitefish 115

#17 ·
Yeah, you can't compare NC smallies to Canadian ones... anything over 12 is a big one, and my biggest in the New is a 15-16" one. But a 12" river smallie will outpull (IMO) a lmb of at least twice it's weight.

We're not so young either...I would guess median age at this would be mid-50's.

#16 ·
Jack - We are in the 221 access walk in Campground... That site doesn't sound like it is in the area. (Edit: there is a site 4 in the drive to campground at top of hill... we will have folk there too. Sorry, wanted to make sure you found us properly)

#18 ·
The South Fork of the New is nutrient poor hence a 12" fish can be 5 years old. There are some very nice smallies in the river but the little ones are so numerous that catching a big one is rare. Go ultralight and these fighting midgets are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. A typical 'nice' smallie is pictured.

Glad to see some new folks attending!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Zach and will be there Wed - Sunday I hope. That date is close to the start of shcool. If it is I will be there and he can drive himself up friday after school.......Staying in my buddies house in Laurel Springs. Will be around for most of the festivities and since no one has mentioned food I will have the fryer for wings on Saturday

#24 ·
OK, the Canadian smallies get big. But last year, one of our Cape Fear Flyfishers guys caught 3 18” smallies and another one caught a 21 1/2”- all around the Galax area. So, there are a few big ones in those waters downstream. Hope your trip goes well and you have a blast. Whitefish115

#35 ·
Breaks my heart to think the Retired Exotic Dancers home that his honor has supported for so many years might suffer from his retirement. Just the thought of them touring the nursing home circuit dragging the tools of the trade is tragic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.