Good Ol beatle spin

Thread: Good Ol beatle spin

Default Good Ol beatle spin

The first artificial bait I used as a kid was a yellow beatle spin. After a slow start with two different crankbaits, I tied on a yellow beatle spin. I probably caught 10 or more bass, mostly 14 inchers or so but a couple that would go over 2 pounds. Also caught 3 crappie. Two of them were 12 inchers. All I needed was a zebco 202 and it would’ve been 1980 all over again. Got to give credit to the private pond also. I usually have good luck when I fish there, but today was a great outing.
    JM76 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Big bass will eat them also. Then there is the big boy version- the Strike King Redfish Magic.

I caught my PB largemouth on the smallest Beetlespin made..11.08 lbs
    Bleedingblue, jerry condrey, and JM76 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Beetle Spin, and the similar bait from Mepps, have saved many a fishing trip...it's a terrific lure. I especially like the 1/8 and 1/4 ounce sizes.
    jerry condrey, and JM76 like this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

I have tried a beetle spin a few times mostly trying for bream or crappie. Never had any luck catching anything on them.
    2019 LMB Total :457; largest 7# 4oz! Total over 4:64; lifetime largest 9.25
    2019 Crappie Total:60 biggest:2#

I like to use them for white perch
    Chris52, and Yakacat like this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Try the smallest size in the black color with the 2 yellow stripes. Your luck WILL change
    ncsouthpaw likes this.

My go-to has been a Beetle Spin rig with a yellow curlytail grub, for about 30 years now.

Like trolling them from the canoe when the bite is tough!

I am also a believer in the small black with the yellow stripe beetle spin. My secret is to tip the hook with a yellow power bait ball. It is deadly...
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lizard View Post
    I am also a believer in the small black with the yellow stripe beetle spin. My secret is to tip the hook with a yellow power bait ball. It is deadly...

Count me in on the bandwagon of the black beetlespin with the 2 yellow stripes. That's what I grew up on....that was my GO TO bait for any pond. It's funny how we grow up and consider it a "kids lure" or something and throw $15 baits while a $1.29 beetlespin still gets the job done
    Chris52, Feetup1, and Fishin Technician like this.

I grew up saltwater fishing and had really never done freshwater fishing until a few months ago. I got a recommendation to try a 1/32nd beetle spin for bream on here and it has been dynamite for me. I've caught some really nice bream and crappie. When I started I bought a cheap Zebco spinning combo just to use for freshwater fishing and with the help of the beetle spin I burnt up the drag on the cheap reel after about 4 trips and had to upgrade to something decent.

I have had best luck on the green ones, followed by the white/red spot, then maybe the chartreuse. I tip it with a crappie bite, the bream love those. Easy to fish and cheap, I love them. They are around $0.85 at Wal-Mart, and I have bought them at Dick's recently for as little as $0.50.

So, for saltwater fishing, take the beetle bait off and thread on a Gulp 3 inch or 4 inch swimming mullet——and then hold on while the puppy drum, rock, and big flounder try to destroy it!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

I smash panfish and peacock bass on them here in Florida. Caught a 9lb snakehead on one once, what a fight that was on 10lb braid with a 6lb leader.
    Coupon Code: RCNCA80 for 80% off SA Face Shields

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements