Inshore Trout bite continues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout bite continues

Blog Entries

Default Trout bite continues

The trout bite continues to be excellent with not only numbers of fish, but quality as well. 17mrís in a variety of colors and the new 37mr are producing the majority of my fish, but Iím also picking up a few on Yozuri 3ds minnows. Here are a few pics of recent trips, some from the boat and others from the kayak.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sweet, Tony are you back in NC for a while?
    Been too cold for me the last few days.......ICM
    trigger22 likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Sweet, Tony are you back in NC for a while?
    Been too cold for me the last few days.......ICM
    Yes, Iím back for good other than short deployments for training. This cold weather needs to go back to wherever it came from.
    Mr. Wizard likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've heard this has been a stronger year for specks, but do they normally bite through the winter? I'm trying to make a few annual trips and I have a void between November through February

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LedHotZeplinPepr View Post
    I've heard this has been a stronger year for specks, but do they normally bite through the winter? I'm trying to make a few annual trips and I have a void between November through February
    Yes, they bite year round. Tactics and location change with the seasons though. Winter months are my favorite because they stack up in the backs of the creeks and when you find one thereís usually several more close by.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    Yes, they bite year round. Tactics and location change with the seasons though. Winter months are my favorite because they stack up in the backs of the creeks and when you find one there’s usually several more close by.
    The more I fish the more people I meet that say the deep winter months are their favorite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steven.brewster View Post
    The more I fish the more people I meet that say the deep winter months are their favorite.
    I love it year around but I burn substantially more gas in the summer months chasing them than I do the fall and winter due. Even in the yak, I have to drive further and paddle more. Additionally the good bite is usually only during that first hour or two of daylight before the sun gets up and they push off to a little deeper water.

Quote Originally Posted by LedHotZeplinPepr View Post
    The bigger ones show back up around Feb. & April. Check out Steven Brewster videos...... ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Blog Entries

Caught well over 30 in about 2 hours yesterday. At one point I made it to 16 casts in a row putting an 18-22 inch trout in the yak and on cast 17 I had one come off. I really hope we avoid a freeze event and are able to enjoy these fish this spring and next fall.

trigger got any tips on working the small hardbaits from the yak?
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    trigger got any tips on working the small hardbaits from the yak?
    The biggest tip I can offer is ďdonítĒ. By that I mean you donít need to do very much at all. Especially right now with the cooler water temps. Every fish Iíve caught over the last two weeks has came after a long (5-10 second) pause. The majority of which hit on the initial drop of the bait. Meaning I cast, close the bail and wait for a 10 count before giving a very subtle twitch. More often than not they hit before I ever even twitch it.

When you do twitch, I only twitch once and I prefer to twitch down or to the side (twitching down is hard in a yak) over twitching up.

When the water temps are higher I take a much more aggressive approach but right now slow and subtle is key.

I’m not asking for a specific spot but what part of the state are you fishing? Neuse River? Wilmington? Pungo? Looking to make a trip next week and just trying to figure out what part of the coast I want to go to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhowel34 View Post
    Iím not asking for a specific spot but what part of the state are you fishing? Neuse River? Wilmington? Pungo? Looking to make a trip next week and just trying to figure out what part of the coast I want to go to.
    Newport, North, and Neuse rivers.

Awesome I’m heading down on Tuesday.

Hey folks. Thanks for the trout info. Good stuff. Headed to Morehead City area Thursday. Any luck in the Haystacks or the creek mouths north and west of there?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast