NC Angler Forums banner

Trout bite continues

Inshore 
4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  trigger22 
#1 ·
The trout bite continues to be excellent with not only numbers of fish, but quality as well. 17mr’s in a variety of colors and the new 37mr are producing the majority of my fish, but I’m also picking up a few on Yozuri 3ds minnows. Here are a few pics of recent trips, some from the boat and others from the kayak.

See less See more
#11 ·
The biggest tip I can offer is “don’t”. By that I mean you don’t need to do very much at all. Especially right now with the cooler water temps. Every fish I’ve caught over the last two weeks has came after a long (5-10 second) pause. The majority of which hit on the initial drop of the bait. Meaning I cast, close the bail and wait for a 10 count before giving a very subtle twitch. More often than not they hit before I ever even twitch it.

When you do twitch, I only twitch once and I prefer to twitch down or to the side (twitching down is hard in a yak) over twitching up.

When the water temps are higher I take a much more aggressive approach but right now slow and subtle is key.

#18 ·
Couple of guys were using Gulp the other day as I paddled by them. They reported having been there a few hours and had a few fish for their efforts. I eased past them and started fishing, and catching on every cast with hard baits. They seemed dumbfounded and asked what I was using so I shared. I changed colors 6 times just to prove it was the bait and presentation and not the color. Soft plastics will definitely work, but hard baits are king right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.