Jordan Lake 1/22-1/23... Frozen Snot and Persistence...

Thread: Jordan Lake 1/22-1/23... Frozen Snot and Persistence...

Default Jordan Lake 1/22-1/23... Frozen Snot and Persistence...

I fished Jordan for crappie yesterday and today. Yesterday was miserable... launched at Ebeneezer around 8am, with temperatures in the upper 20s, windchill in the lower 20s, and snot freezing in my beard. After about 90 minutes of punishment with 0 bites, I called it a day and headed back to the ramp.

I kept my unused minnows overnight and snuck back to the lake after my daughter's 8am award ceremony. Launched at Seaforth around 10am, with much better weather (temps in the upper 30s, low 40s, with 2-3 kts of wind). Boated my first keeper within about a minute of my first drop. Stayed out for about 3 hours, attempting to milk out my sad sack minnow bucket (had about 18-20 live ones for starters, plus a bunch of floaters, which the perch were happy to eat). Although the bite was somewhat slow, I ended-up with 4 keepers, including a new 15" PB that I thought was a bass when I first saw it. For reference, the little guy in the bottom of the photo is "only" 11" long....

Crappie were located mostly south and west of the 64 bridge, out perhaps 50-200' from the rock wall. I marked / caught most of my fish in 20'-30', dragging / bouncing minnows along the bottom. There are also loads of perch and the occasional pesky channel cat located in the channel beneath the bridge.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_3340.jpg‎†
Views:	189†
Size:	127.0 KB†
ID:	196605

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the update, Jordan is only 15 minutes from my parents place and I always wanted to fish for Crappie on a boat there. I'll have to make a trip sometime. I'm primarily a bass guy but I decided I should change things up, especially in the winter.

In your opinion, do you like Jordan or Falls better for Crappie?

I live 10 minutes away from Jordan, so thatís my home lake. I think itís probably the best crappie lake in the state, so if thatís what your after, you should come here. Iíve gone out with a local guide, Freddie Sinclair, a few times and had a chance to pick his brain and learn some new techniques from him. Ultimately, it just takes some time on the water before you can start catching them somewhat consistently. Itís been about 3 years since I decided I was going to learn how to catch crappie and Iím finally starting to get the hang of it. Of course, I fish for a bunch of other species throughout the year, but itís one of my primary targets during the winter, since they are usually school-up and bunch along the bottom, making them easier to find and catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I grew up in Cary and have bank fished Jordan many times, the lake is very nostalgic to me. Thanks for the response, looks like some graphing is in order for me. My mom is always mad I never bring her bass, but I have no problem keeping crappie for her.

Is it wrong that I was hoping for a picture of the frozen snot?

Nice crappie, and nice report!
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements