Figuring out Lake Gaston (1/11 + 1/24)

Thread: Figuring out Lake Gaston (1/11 + 1/24)

\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n th365thli\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n th365thli\r\n \r\n
\r\n th365thli is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n Angler Member\r\n
\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n

\r\n\r\n Default Figuring out Lake Gaston (1/11 + 1/24)\r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n I never fished Lake Gaston in the 12 years I lived in North Carolina, so I decided to fix that on 1/11 and 1/24.
\n
\nOn 1/11 I launched out of Salmon Creek and went straight to Lizard Creek. No luck there, went farther down to Pea Hill. I fished up and down Pea Hill with barely a bite. I had marked bait and fish back at Lizard Creek so I decided to give it one more go before going home.
\n
\n
\n
\n
\n
\n
\nThe moved paid off. I picked off 6 from that spot with jigs and a dropshot. Nothing of size, but it\'s winter and a fish is a fish.
\n
\n
\n
\nI went back on 1/24 hoping for the same results. Ended up having a better day in fact. This time, I went straight to the same spot on Lizard Creek with the same jig. Picked off two immediately with my first two casts. Not long after I hooked a 18 incher. Scale was broken. I think 3 lbs is a fair estimate.
\n
\nI decided to forego Pea Hill and the dam side, and instead I made my way up the lake. I fished areas in the main lake where the main river channel contacted the bank. This universal strategy worked for me at other lakes and it was also productive here. I picked up several other fish including a few more 3 lbers. No giants, but again, it\'s winter (albeit a mild one), and catching any fish at all is a bonus. I ended the day with somewhere between 8-10 bass landed. All released.
\n
\n
\n
\n
\n
\nReally enjoyed fishing Lake Gaston and if the fishing is this good in winter, I\'m excited to see what it offers in warmer weather. I have a hard time fishing the rivers around Greenville so getting to fish a reservoir like Gaston is a nice change.\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\nhangout likes this.\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n Like This Post\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n'; pd[1222423] = '\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Neilslure\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Neilslure\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Neilslure is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Angler Member\r\n
    \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n

\r\n\r\n Default \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n What Gaston offers in warmer weather is wake boats and jetskis. \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    \nLife Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.
    \n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n Like This Post\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; // next/previous post info pn[1222331] = "1222423,1222423"; pn[0] = ",1222331"; pn[1222423] = "1222331,1222331"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[14522] = "th365thli"; pu[2320] = "Neilslure"; // -->

Threaded View

Default Figuring out Lake Gaston (1/11 + 1/24)

I never fished Lake Gaston in the 12 years I lived in North Carolina, so I decided to fix that on 1/11 and 1/24.

On 1/11 I launched out of Salmon Creek and went straight to Lizard Creek. No luck there, went farther down to Pea Hill. I fished up and down Pea Hill with barely a bite. I had marked bait and fish back at Lizard Creek so I decided to give it one more go before going home.

The moved paid off. I picked off 6 from that spot with jigs and a dropshot. Nothing of size, but it's winter and a fish is a fish.

I went back on 1/24 hoping for the same results. Ended up having a better day in fact. This time, I went straight to the same spot on Lizard Creek with the same jig. Picked off two immediately with my first two casts. Not long after I hooked a 18 incher. Scale was broken. I think 3 lbs is a fair estimate.

I decided to forego Pea Hill and the dam side, and instead I made my way up the lake. I fished areas in the main lake where the main river channel contacted the bank. This universal strategy worked for me at other lakes and it was also productive here. I picked up several other fish including a few more 3 lbers. No giants, but again, it's winter (albeit a mild one), and catching any fish at all is a bonus. I ended the day with somewhere between 8-10 bass landed. All released.

Really enjoyed fishing Lake Gaston and if the fishing is this good in winter, I'm excited to see what it offers in warmer weather. I have a hard time fishing the rivers around Greenville so getting to fish a reservoir like Gaston is a nice change.
      hangout likes this.