American shad and herring.

Thread: American shad and herring.

Default American shad and herring.

Has anyone been catching American shad or herring recently? If not when should they start coming in?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Haven't heard of any in NE NC yet but not too early to try. There are usually a few that show before the main run. I usually don't catch any shad in the creeks until late February.

I've been "test fishing" the Trent River for Hickory Shad - none up river yet, but last year it started around mid-February. I've seen a few reports of singles caught in the Pamlico so far. OH

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am down south in Florida and I have been seen shad in the local lake. Two of them hit baits that I was using, so they are getting active.
    Coupon Code: RCNCA80 for 80% off SA Face Shields

What part of Florida are you in? I'll be moving down there next month.

A buddy fishing the St Johns told me this year has been a bit strange for him. Hasn't really gotten right.

I hit a spot away from everybody on the tar Sunday. My rig was a 1/8 ounce grub black and green with an 1/8 kastmaster silver spoon. Only fished about an hour. No luck

They are catching a lot of hickory, mixed with American...aka White shad all the way up the Neuse to Goldsboro, most likely beyond by now. This time of year when the water gets high they really make a big bold move and cover a lot of water heading upstream. Guys are limiting out in and hour or 2.

Two hook rig with pink head and white grub has always been the best colors. Occasionally chartreuse and other colors but to me the pink and white takes the prize.
    biglenr likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

1white shad was caught in Raleigh today.
    Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

I fished Battle Park in Rocky Mount last Wednesday for one hour - American Shad were being caught by about five or six anglers (some came and went while I was there). Chartreuse was the color of the day, caught mine on a flutter spoon. Fished the Trent in Jones County yesterday, Hickory Shad being caught there - some on pink & white and several on chartreuse & dark green SW Assassin swim shads with 1/8 oz. jig heads. OH

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I fished Battle Park in Rocky Mount last Wednesday for one hour - American Shad were being caught by about five or six anglers (some came and went while I was there). Chartreuse was the color of the day, caught mine on a flutter spoon. Fished the Trent in Jones County yesterday, Hickory Shad being caught there - some on pink & white and several on chartreuse & dark green SW Assassin swim shads with 1/8 oz. jig heads. OH
    How's the bass fishing in the Trent River?

Have been catching a few Stripers but no LMB lately. OH

They have been hammering hickories from Pitchkettle thru Kinston the past week with a few American (whites) thrown in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements