Belews Lake 1-28-20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belews Lake 1-28-20

Default Belews Lake 1-28-20

My fishing buddy and I went to Belews Lake yesterday, air temp was high 30's when we arrived, only got to 46', water was 47 degrees right by the ramp but 53 to 54 degrees on the other side of the Hwy 65 bridge.

Shad was so thick that the depth finder kept going from 20-25' (actual depth) to 5' while sitting still.

We tried to keep track but lost count somewhere in the mid 30's, so we conservatively estimate we caught 50+ spotted bass, 2 largemouth bass, and one crappie. No huge ones, but several decent ones in the 16-17.5 inch range. There was one other guy fishing the same spot, he had at least 30 more...it was a pretty epic day for January. Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200128_165055_1580352845720.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	196631Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200128_154706_1580352866639.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	196633Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200128_160412_1580352895599.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	196635
    AHHHH-Spray, Bleedingblue, and fodder like this.

"I've gotta stop wishin, I've got to go fishin!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

50 to 2.. Wow. Guess those Alabamas are taking over faster than we thought. Good day though guys.

We all know that you hate spots, but I look at it this way. Had spots not been there, they would have caught two largemouth and one crappie!. Not to mention those spots pull like crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    50 to 2.. Wow. Guess those Alabamas are taking over faster than we thought. Good day though guys.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not sure about that. Long as they stay up there...
    meenyt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meenyt View Post
    We all know that you hate spots, but I look at it this way. Had spots not been there, they would have caught two largemouth and one crappie!. Not to mention those spots pull like crazy!
    Actually if the spots weren’t there. You probably would’ve caught less than nothing. They’re the best thing that ever happened to that lake. Jerry knows the deal 😂😂
    meenyt likes this.

Just keep them in Belews....

Just keep them in Belews....
    Heard they’re starting to catch them in tillery now pretty consistently. That makes me excited. The future is bright for the yadkin 😂

Nice report. The lake is supremely muddy right now from 158 to hwy 65. Visibility less than an inch right now.

Hoping it clears up soon

I would catch mostly spots some days and mostly largemouth other days, it just depended on where and how I was fishing and what tactics I was using. I don't think the ratio is that lopsided, at least in my opinion. I think the largemouth feed more on crawfish than the spots, and the spots more on shad than the largies, and I suspect they have found or will find some decent semblance of equilibrium in that lake. Belews is a unique fishery, I think they will both find their niches.
    meenyt likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    I would catch mostly spots some days and mostly largemouth other days, it just depended on where and how I was fishing and what tactics I was using. I don't think the ratio is that lopsided, at least in my opinion. I think the largemouth feed more on crawfish than the spots, and the spots more on shad than the largies, and I suspect they have found or will find some decent semblance of equilibrium in that lake. Belews is a unique fishery, I think they will both find their niches.
    Not sure about that Sam. At least about the largemouth. There are times when they seem to target nothing but shad.

Not sure about that Sam. At least about the largemouth. There are times when they seem to target nothing but shad.
    In the clear lakes that have both largemouth and spots typically the largemouth will be on Shad in the late fall and winter but as soon as the water temp rises they’re back on cover around the bank. That’s what they do on all the lakes that I fish that have spots in them.

That's true for the most part but I have seen largemouth schooling shad year round.

That's true for the most part but I have seen largemouth schooling shad year round.
    Yes, on largemouth only lakes.

That's true, I have seen them schooling together on shad out there. One of my best days on Belews was a misty drizzly day in late February, no one else on the lake and there were bass busting all around in 30 to 50 feet of water. Caught 22 bass in 90 minutes all on topwater. Actually more largemouth than spots that day, so yeah, they certainly target shad, but I have caught so many largies with crawfish antennae or tails sticking out of their gullets that I think they target craw when they can (warmer months I guess).

Point being, I don't think the ratio is all that lopsided, I think it depends on the day and when and where you are. Last time I fished it was a few years ago, but I have logged a lot of hours on that lake and the last time I was there I still caught as many largies as spots. I think they will find an equilibrium at Belews. Other lakes, I can't speak for, and I wouldn't personally want to see them in places like Randleman or City Lake, but I think Belews will be fine. I mean hell, there weren't even hardly any bass IN Belews in what was it, the early 80's? Now it's got huge numbers of bass.
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

That's true, I have seen them schooling together on shad out there. One of my best days on Belews was a misty drizzly day in late February, no one else on the lake and there were bass busting all around in 30 to 50 feet of water. Caught 22 bass in 90 minutes all on topwater. Actually more largemouth than spots that day, so yeah, they certainly target shad, but I have caught so many largies with crawfish antennae or tails sticking out of their gullets that I think they target craw when they can (warmer months I guess).

Large numbers but can the spots been contained there/
    Point being, I don't think the ratio is all that lopsided, I think it depends on the day and when and where you are. Last time I fished it was a few years ago, but I have logged a lot of hours on that lake and the last time I was there I still caught as many largies as spots. I think they will find an equilibrium at Belews. Other lakes, I can't speak for, and I wouldn't personally want to see them in places like Randleman or City Lake, but I think Belews will be fine. I mean hell, there weren't even hardly any bass IN Belews in what was it, the early 80's? Now it's got huge numbers of bass.

Can the "spots" be contained there?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast