Speck Bite on the Pamlico Slowing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speck Bite on the Pamlico Slowing?

Default Speck Bite on the Pamlico Slowing?

I have had a great year fishing for speckled trout, mostly on the Pamlico and Pamlico Creeks. I tried my luck today without any success. There are still fish out there but missed them today. Is it too early for them to move back into the river? Iím thinking about changing location.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

70 degree weather last couple days will definitely have the fish on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetup1 View Post
    I have had a great year fishing for speckled trout, mostly on the Pamlico and Pamlico Creeks. I tried my luck today without any success. There are still fish out there but missed them today. Is it too early for them to move back into the river? I’m thinking about changing location.
    50 degrees in the river yesterday near the Bayview Ferry, but 59 way up several creeks. Shad everywhere where warmer, but water very dingy because of heavy rains, and expecting more on Wednesday-Thursday. Lots of trash, too—moss and grass makes it hard to fish hard baits. Might be a while before water quality/clarity improves in the creeks, but the Pammy itself is still pretty cool. These past few warm/sunny days could have a big impact, but the rains are going to keep the water pretty dirty. Still— not going to catch ‘em unless we go!!!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

More likely nets. Went to my favorite creek yesterday, clean clear water looking down & saw about 12 net scars.
    At first I thought those scars were caused by a boats skig, than realized it was the closing of two ends of a net coming together.....ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

No nets where I fish and there has been a world of difference this year with larger trout being the norm. Many recs have made the comment about the number and size of fish upstream of the ferries. Donít know if marine biologist will address this or if thereís data to support.

I went again today...no specks but did catch and release a nice rock. River temps up almost 5 degrees from Monday, to 54.6. A lot more bait activity at the mouth of my favorite creek. The original post was asking whether its time for us to move out into the river——I am going to stick with the creek but nearer to the mouth. Heavy rains forecast for the next 36 hours——which will probably dramatically change the existing conditions.
    Feetup1 likes this.

General question - with heavy rains today (Thursday, 2/6/20) and cooler air temps, would that put the trout further up the creeks, or out beyond the mouths to the river?

Experienced the same this week. Fished Tues. afternoon and Wed. and didn't get skunked but came very close. Water temps were 53 on Tues and 56 on Wed. Been catching them pretty good. Southwest wind was blowing pretty hard. This was on a creek off the Neuse.

Its a warm rain, so they might stay where they are. But the run-off is going to be fierce coming down both the creeks and rivers, and heavy enuf to flush out the inshore marshes. But—the rain seems to be much heavier north of Highway 264 so maybe not as bad for the Pamlico as predicted.

The toughest fishing factor for the next couple days is probably going to be the wind, as it is supposed to blow from 18 mph all the way up to 40 mph gusts tonight, and then start to gradually taper off by Saturday. If anybody goes, please give us reports. I think its just going to depend on where you are relative to the actual rainfall amounts for your area.

This is all hearsay, but my understanding is that trout like certain salinity levels. So with an influx of freshwater they will relocate to a more comfortable salinity level. Saltwater being denser than freshwater, might just mean the relocation is deeper water in the same general area. Obviously food source comes into play also.

I typically am able to get skunked regardless of conditions, so take that into consideration.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Interesting conversation that I will follow and contribute to if I go. Like NCTribute I can get skunked with the best of them, so I’m probably an atypical contributor.

Here is your follow up ‘conditions report’ for anyone hoping to fish the weekend: I live on the Pamlico River near the Bayview Ferry...in the past 24 hours we have had 3 7/8 inches of rain...wind currently blowing out of the west at a steady 25-30, and I swear you could surf on the 3-4 foot waves heading downstream. Currently 62 degrees, and temps expected to gradually fall through the afternoon and overnight into the mid-30’s, with a high on Saturday of 50 degrees and 5 mph winds out of the west. I think we can expect mudddddy, dingy, dirty water for the next several days in the area creeks, and low salinity. Water temps——I ain’t going our there to find out for a few days!

Just couldn’t pass up a beautiful afternoon of fishing today, so I found a friend, hooked up the boat and traveled to one of the Pamlico creeks. Started fishing about 2. We got two hits and two hookups but didn’t put one in the boat. Communicated with at least 10 other boats and they relayed the same report. Some did put fish in the boat, but 1 keeper was the best report.
    Chris52 likes this.

Default Speck Bite on the Pamlico Slowing?

They are still around. Caught in the back of a pamlico creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out early this am for a trek to one of the Pamlico creeks. Picked up a few undersized early then limited quickly with 16-18” trout. Surprised that some were deep and some shallow. The larger fish were deep. They were hitting MR17, hard jerk baits and soft plastics. Concluded that the fish were hibernating the prior two trips. Question now is do I continue to fish for specks or transition to Shad?
    Chris52, and Saltwater Republic like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast